Weight Training Question

Options
For some time, Ive been adding weight training to my cardio 3x a week (mon-wed-fri)
I use the machines: Bench Press, Lat Pulldown, Shoulder Press, Mid Row, Bar Dip, Seated Bicep Curl, Pec Butterfly

I started on level 1 - and increased at a fairly steady pace.

Ive been stuck at the current level (7) for weeks now. Some days it seems "almost" easy, other days it seems extra hard.

Like today for instance: I decided it was time to step it up a level and just deal with it.
But the first machine I tried - no way, felt like I tripled the weight.
So I did the same level Ive been doing - and had a hard time even finishing 1 set on each of them.

I guess my question is - any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It could be down to the food you've eaten.

I've been trialling something. One day a week doing my cardio before I've eaten anything. A usual 40 minute session is pretty easy for me an hour after food but on an empty stomach i'm struggling after 20 (I only plan to do 30 on empty anyway).

Could it be the food you've had?
  • davekarie
    davekarie Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't think so - I always eat about a half hour before I work out.
    Some days its oatmeal - other days its a banana.
    I will have to see if its a difference on which one I have.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Have you thought about taking a break from the machines and hitting the free weights for a while? Machines tend to be more isolation exercises vs free weights which cause you to use more than just the muscle you're targeting (and then there are compound movements, which use a lot of muscles at once) - a few weeks of this kind of change could really help increase your strength.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I hit the wall hard, too. Had to give up my calorie deficit to start gaining strength again.
    The other big factor is sleep.

OTOH, you may just be done playing with the machines and you might be ready for a real strength training program. Like RIppetoe's Starting strength.

Stronglifts 5x5 is also popular.

Just be careful. The weight you are pushing on a bench press machine is not the weight you are going to be able to push doing a real bench press. Your supporting muscles are still weak and you won't have any practice on your form. Start really light and work your way up, 5lbs per workout session. It's OK to start with just bar weight.
  • davekarie
    davekarie Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    I have been running a deficit in effort to lose weight. Maybe need to increase a bit?
    And I didn't even think about it, but maybe it IS time to get off the machines and on to the real weights.
    Will check out the programs you mentioned.

Thanks again.