Weight loss & Anti-Depressants

Options
Has anyone successfully lost weight while on anti-depressants? I was put on them at 28 after a hysterectomy and was not allowed to take harmones so the dr thought I should take AD's. I started gaining weight soon after and now I hear they can cause weight gain. Just wondering.

Thanks, Karen

Replies

• Intuition27
    Options
    Hi Karen. Hope your well. I was on Zoloft 100mg for 6months. And whilst on it and also after stopping to take it, I put on a whopping 15kg in less than a year. Really been so annoyed at this.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I'm on effexor xr and I don't think the anti-depressants had anything to do with me putting on the weight I think it had everything to do with being depressed is why I put on the weight. It takes a while to get the right dosage for each person and even when you get on the right dosage you will still have your ups and downs. I have been on them for 6yrs and I get adjusted about once a year or so. Add me as a friend I know how the depression goes.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been on Paxil for years but I think my gradual weight gain was from eating really unhealthy stuff. I am slowly but surely getting rid of the extra weight. And noticing that I forget about twice a week to take my meds because I am feeling so great! :)
    Good luck!
  • LeMarkie89
    Options
    This is another reason I don't really want to take them. :grumble:
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    been on zoloft or citalopram over 8 years and have got to say that my weight gain was not as a result of them, but as a result of unhealthy habits associated with the depression.
  • KarenLee2009
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's alwys been in the back of my mind that I may not be able to lose the weight because of them but I can see that everyone else is able too so now I feel better.

thanks alot, Karen
  • ssvoboda2
    ssvoboda2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello! I am a pharmacist and some of them can cause a little bit of weight gain, but overall they are fairly weight neutral (of course everything is dependant on the person). Wellbutrin actually causes the highest incidence of weight loss (if you would like to switch to something that you know does not cause weight gain if you and your Dr feel the need).

As explained to me once by my Dr. depression has two sides, it either makes people eat more or less, dependant on the person.
  • sarahlouise87
    Options
    I am on citalopram 40mg i have been for two years and i have put on 2 stone i went to the DR and had a moan but he made it see it different...

When i was depressed and not on tablets i wasnt eating hardly anything because of the depression, but now im on the tablets and feeling ok again i have been eating soo i have been putting on the weight, so its not really the tablets but me and my eating.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    my other half is bipolar and takes many different antidepressants along with anxiety pills also... he is doing very well with the weight loss now that he is eating right, exercising, and going to bed at a somewhat better time...all of this seems to be making his mood better as well...a while back tho he was on welbutrin and it made him gain a lot of weight