Please help stop me bingeing.

Options
Someone very dear to me passed away over the weekend (I just found out today) and all I can think about is eating my emotions.

I used to emotionally eat every day, && this is just hard...
Please help?

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Get off here. Go for a walk in the nice fresh air/ go to the gym.

You'll feel hella better!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Get off here. Go for a walk in the nice fresh air/ go to the gym.

You'll feel hella better!!

i might :) thx
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keep reminding yourself that is not what you want to do. When you do eat try to eat some foods high in protein and complex carbs to help keep you full for a longer period of time so you will not be hungry so quick and chance to over do it. Hang in there, I know easier said then done but you know you CAN do this!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    exercise helps me.
    I also eat pure liquorice , or drink liquorice tea as the taste makes me not want more food.
    eat something healthy and have carrot sticks ( get a big bag and munch for as long as you want
    I also find low cal hot choc helps as it is comforting and crave satisfying.

freeze you bank cards so you can't buy

write yourself a letter about how you feel remember all the good time and all your grief so you can start to deal with the emotions rather than reaching for food.
    Good luck and my sympathies, I hope you can celebrate their life and mourn their passing as you need to!
  • Leenet06
    Leenet06 Posts: 5
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater and I am so sorry for your loss. I understand you wanting to eat but do as I am, try and remember our health and instead of eating go for a walk and if you have to cry while you are walking; that is a way to get out your emotions and to get some exercise. If you don't feel like going for a walk, clean out an closet; yeasterday I was depressed because I keep going over my caloriesso I cleaned out my storage building, I wanted to know where did all this junk come from :noway: you talk about a work out and then i cleaned the grill and grilled our dinner outside. I still went over but at least I got a good work out. As one of my friends pointed out, this is a process and it is going to take time. so get a big glass of water :drinker: and just move and it is okay to cry while you moving. Again I am sorry for your loss. If you need to talk, I am here.:flowerforyou:
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. But eating isn't going to make you feel better in the long run. Go for a walk. Find a friend to talk to. Drink a whole bunch of water, so that you'll feel full. In the long run...it's just not worth it. You'll end up feeling worse.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to go to the store, buy a huge thing of veggies or fruit (healthy options) and eat that. Trying doing some things to distract yourself, like cleaning or painting your nails (the smell makes me not want to eat anymore.) Take a nice, long walk and think about how you are feeling, cry if you need to. Find someone that can sit with you and talk, (I don't binge when others are around).

I lost my grandma last year, and I really wish I had stopped myself from bingeing. I gained more than 20 lbs in a few months!

You can add me if you'd like :)
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. You have to remember, though, that this is a lifestyle change, and grief is a very unfortunate part of life. Don't let everything you are working for slip away. I'm sure that person would want you to keep focusing on getting healthy.

Like the above posters have said: Exercise today. It can help you sort your emotions MUCH better than food can. Whether its walking, running, weights, or even cleaning out or just giving the house a good scrub. (I tend to do a LOT of cleaning when I'm upset.) And at the end of the day, allow yourself to relax, take a bubblebath or have a treat. Release the grief in a healthy way that will make you feel good. Binge eating will ultimately make you feel worse.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about the rough time you're going through. I know a lot of us have experience with overeating due to stress or boredom or sadness... You know that this is not going to bring you happiness, and I know that's why you're writing here.

The answer isn't "don't binge", because an emptiness needs to be intentionally filled by something constructive or you will find something destructive. It's been said already, but exercise is a really good idea even if mentally you don't want to do it. Think of how much better you will feel afterward when those endorphines are released and you are thinking to yourself "that felt really good, I'm glad I made this choice"

Of course you can't always be exercising so make sure you have other things that make you feel good to fall back onto, things that you can't do while eating. Do you have a hobby that occupies your hands? Maybe a craft, like knitting? You could also take a small bag of carrot sticks and sit in a coffee shop to read for a bit and occupy your mind. Is there a project you have wanted to get done but have been procrastinating? Now's a good time to start.

The key is "constructive distraction".
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear of your trouble. Avoiding the 'eating of emotions': walking or other outdoor exercise / talking to a friend or going to do something with other people / hot drinks - these all help a little.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Just throw out all the junk food and get out of the house! Go for a walk/jog or something!! Fill yourself up with tea and water!