New to everything- so need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    totally agree with wolf start slow ,if in a gym use bike,rowing machine or cross trainer as this has no impact on your ankles.aim to do weight to build up muscles and help speed up fat loss
    feel free to add me as we are aiming for same thing
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I read or heard somewhere that it takes 30 days for a new routine to become a habit. For 30 days you will need to really push yourself to go out and do your exercises and count your calories. After 30 days those things should start to become natural. According to Tom Venuto, weight loss is 80% diet and 20% diet so go easy on the exercise as you begin to tone up your body. However, pay close attention to counting your calories on MFP. Venuto also says that people tend to oevrestimate the number of calories they burn during exercise and under estimate the calories they consume. I try to go the opposite of that.

When you hit a weight loss plateau, read this... http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html That will help as your body is made to search for new equlibriums.

Don't expect miracles overnight. Remember it took you a long time to get where you are and it will take a long time to get where you want to be. You are not alone.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Kim I am 40yrs old and need to lose approx, 40lbs to reach my ultimate goal weight. I have been on this site since June and I am super motivated. I have been drinking shakeology everyday since July and I workout with theTurbo Fire program and I am currently on round 2 and I do insanity when I have extra time. My plan is once I complete round 2 of turbofire I will use insanity as my main workout program.
    I believe that if you think positive thoughts and if you involve yourself with positive people that positive things will happen in your life. I love to talk about health and fitness and also believe if we all hold eachother accountable through this journey we WILL ALL reach our goals and live the healthy lives we are seeking.
    Please feel free to add me!!
    Take care,
    Kim
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    wow thanks- ok this sounds awful what is an eliptical? I've never heard of it before?

The elliptical is the machine that somewhat simulates running, but it is much easier on your joints!

Here's a picture ---> http://www.treadmill-world.com/sitebuilder/images/proform-el1200-elliptical-bg-258x258.jpg

When you get on it, it will start out at an incline of 10. . . you can lower that!!! I can't tell you how many of my friends starting out didn't know you could change that level and it makes it much more doable for the beginner.

My advice: Take it one day at a time. You will not be perfect every day, and it's going to get hard. But nothing worth doing comes easily. Just remember that you are worth being happy and healthy! Make sure you eat breakfast, and eat small meals (split up your calories pretty evenly) every 3 hours or so to keep your metabolism going. Also drink a ton of water! :) I don't know what weight you're starting at, but when I was 250 pounds I know I didn't want to step foot in a gym because I had no idea what I was doing. This was a mistake. . . make sure you are working out too, and not just cardio. Do some sort of weight lifting or you can end up with loose skin issues. :) Sometimes things can get overwhelming. . . just make sure you turn to your support group in those times and don't keep your thoughts to yourself. :)

I have faith in you! You can do this! Good luck with your lifestyle change. :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I want to stress that the bra and shoes should not be something you try to save money on. Especially the bra. The Vixon is a very good running/exercise bra. Please keep in mind that you will probably be spending between 60 and 80 american dollars for a good bra that is going to give you the support you need.

Here is a link to a site I found that may be helpful for you. Looks like very good pricing too. http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/apparel/bras/running/plus-size/c0-c1-c3-atsport_03-atspecialty_03.html?sorter=rating-desc

Please feel free to add me as a friend and check out my food diary for ideas on how to eat healthy with out starving yourself. I refuse to live a life where I am hungry, period.

Good luck!

L
  • Bheller234
    Bheller234 Posts: 150
    Options
    Hello, you can feel free to add me and i will try to help you the best i can!
    I have two Victoria's Secret sports bras that are amazing and i would never get anything else but i don't think they come in very large sizes though. :ohwell:
    Anyway though, I'm pretty sure that everyone will try to keep you motivated and encourage you as much as possible. :smile: Anything is possible with encouragement and positivity! :happy:
  • t2012mon
    t2012mon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! It can be difficult but it always helps to have the support! I am sorry to hear that your "friends" are not more supportive for you. Here you can find the friends to support you. A good bit of advise is get in a routine of coming here to keep up with your weight and food. It helps you see for yourself what you need to work with. Good Luck and you have my support!
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    Hi Taylor, Welcome, this is a great site to get help and motivation. You have already been given both. Here is my contribution. Losing weight is a COMMITMENT to yourself. You are in CONTROL of how it goes. Tracking is an excellent way to see where you need to make changes. As someone else has already said, be honest with yourself.

It is hard when you also have a family to feed, but sometimes you have to play little tricks on yourself, here's a few tips . . . portion control, you are in charge. Look at the food package and see what the recommended serving size is, give yourself a smaller plate or bowl. It makes it look like a big portion and eat slowly.

Here's something I do, I leave the food in the kitchen. Fix the plates in the kitchen and take the plates to the table. You are much less likely not to take seconds if you have to get up and go get it. Works for me! Oh, and when you are cleaning up after a meal don't eat "that" because there's just a dab left. You will be sabotaging yourself.

Hope this helps. Stay with this site and you'll succeed. You can add me as a friend if you like.

Lois
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! I am new as of today and am looking for all the support I can get :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!

When I first started, I couldn't do 5 minutes on the elliptical without feeling like I would die. I had no idea what to eat or how much or what was in what I was already eating. But if you are persistant, you'll improve and get better.

I made it my goal to increase my elliptical time by 5 minutes every week (I went to the gym 3x a week). Within a few months, I was going 45 minutes at max intensity...and clasping my hands behind my back or neck to increase the difficulty. The next year, I started running. This old lady couldn't even run next door, but I ran as far as I could, then walked a minute or two, then ran some more...et al, until I could do a mile, then two, then a 5k. Yes, it took a long time, but that's ok.

I learned how to not go over on carbs (because they make me sleepy and really hungry later) and how to get enough protein (I lose weight better with higher protein levels). I learned what snacks keep me content and which ones just make me want to eat more and more and more. I figured out that water helps keep me feeling full and helps prevent me from bloating.

And finally, I learned that having friends on MFP to share my victories with is extremely motivating. So feel free to add me!

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

Stormie
  • briansurv
    briansurv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am prior military and put on ummmm, 1 or 2 pounds and didn't feel I wanted to try to run anymore so I finally bought a Recumbent bike which is a Schwinn 240 and I have dropped right ast 40 lbs and no pain on the ankles and you can literally sit and peddle. now I'm motivated and going to start the P90X soon and drop 40 more and be right where I want to be. Bought the Bike through Bowflex and pay $25 a month and after seeing the results It was a great investment as I wen to the doctor after 2 months and my cholesterol dropped from 217 to 145 and Blood pressure is way down also. Whats really funny is now my Boss just bought the same bike.

No matter what you do just do something and as you loose the first lb or 2 you will motivate yourself. Good luck.
  • SIimMama
    SIimMama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    On the sports bra tips...they also make compression style sports bras that might help.

Shoes--there are a number of good ones, depends on how much u want to spend. I am using Asics, a lot of the people I Zumba with use Reebok Zigs just for a couple examples.

Other advice...be consistent, allow yourself some cheats.

And start lifting weights.
    I think that has made the most difference in my body. I started seriously in January and have lost about 18lbs (including the extra 3lbs from Christmas) and over three inches in my waist, 3 from my hips, 2.5 from each thigh.
    If you do strength training, you need to make sure you are getting lots of protein, to rebuild those muscles.

Oh, and Drink lots of water.
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. :)
  • 4Tracylee
    4Tracylee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lol...I feel your pain. I am very tiny in stature and I am a 30F. If I am going to run or jog I wear my normal bra and I have a sports bra that I wear over it. It gives great support and little bounce. This site is great motivation and the peeps are so supportive. You are more than welcome to add me.
  • my2boiz
    my2boiz Posts: 89
    Options
    About the bra. I am large chested too. I actually wear a regular bra and then throw a sports bra on top of it. I HATE the uni-boob look. the bra underneath gives extra support and keeps them from looking like one boob. hahaha.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good luck and well done for starting off!

If you really are as 'lazy' as I was when I started, then walking is really a great simple way to start your exercise regime.
    I had 'weak ankles' when I didnt do much walking, now they are much stronger.

i started with half hour walks 3-5 times a week.
    Then tried to increase the pace, so can walk two miles in half hour now. (used car to figure out some 2 and 3 mile routes)

If you do something like that already, maybe you could try 'couch to 5km'. It recognises that some people are starting off from nothing and wont be able to go straight into running. So you run a bit, walk a bit, for half hour three times a week, increasing the running ratio every week.

The other people have already given great advice if you (or anyone else starting off today) are more advanced than this.

Good luck to all!
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    I'm a DD, so I understand the importance of good support. A couple of friends have sport bras that cost like $40 each! That's too rich for my blood, especially if I plan on shrinking out of it before long. :) So, on the advice of some other MFPs, I bought a couple for around $30 total and I wear them both at the same time, depending on what kind of exercise I'm doing, but especially if I'm running or doing any kind of jumping. I bought them a couple sizes smaller than I normally would and kinda have to work to get into the second one, but they hold up nice (pun intended). ;)

About the shoes, I would go to an athletic/specialty store and get advice from the sales person on what is right for your foot, body type and exercise regimen you have in mind. If you have a New Balance store in your area, that would be a GREAT place to start. Even if you didn't buy from them, you would at least know what to look for elsewhere. Good luck and welcome to MFP!! :)