Neat trick to try... Eat with your Left hand!!! (Or your les

Options
Well I went to my complex hot tub one day, and this really nice guy was there that is also a fitness trainer. He suggested some interesting things that I had not thought of before. Such as eating with your less dominant hand, (for me thats my left hand) and eating with chopsticks. It helps the portion control. Today was my first day of trying it, and it cut my usual portions in half. It took me longer to eat and take each bite, which gave my brain time to register that im getting full. Pretty neat huh? I am sure it has probably been mentioned before, but I just thought it was great!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why not just pre portion the food instead of making or buying something and not eating it all?
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    We are the type of family that makes decent sized meals so that we can have left overs for the next day. I personally have an issue with portion control, which is why im on this site. Its just a neat trick for people who have portion control issues.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I like the idea that it makes you eat slower. Too bad I'm an ambidextrous eater.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's not a horrible idea. I'd probably never do it in public because I'm sure I'd like stupid as hell, but I might give it a try at home sometime.
  • Asiral
    Options
    It's not a horrible idea. I'd probably never do it in public because I'm sure I'd like stupid as hell, but I might give it a try at home sometime.

Haha very true! I wouldnt do it in public either, but thats easy for us because we stopped eating out :P
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like the idea that it makes you eat slower. Too bad I'm an ambidextrous eater.

I'm the same way. All becauxe of my pesky left handed brother alwzys wanting to annoy me when we were younger by always sitting on my right side so he'd bump my elbow.
  • Bobskiframps
    Bobskiframps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you chew more as well it reduces the amount you eat. Again it tricks your brain into thinking it full before you have eaten everything. Its how I reduced the amount I eat. I then slowly stop making as much. x
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i eat extremely fast & i can eat with both hands so im screwed lol
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    i too am blessed with the ability to shovel food with both hands... skills i know. i have heard this before too and everyone that i know that has tried it says it works. problem is eventually u will get used to it and eat the same amount of food as before.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea--going to try it. It's supposed to be good for you brain to use your non dominant hand more--makes new nerve connections or something like that, I do that playing online games sometimes.
  • Asiral
    Options
    Haha you guys are funny! I use my left hand for finger foods with no issues, but I just tried using my left hand to eat Speghetti last night, and it was messy. Haha! I felt like I was 5
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Warning--if you try to eat a taco salad with your non-dominant hand--wear a bib.:laugh:
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eating slow really does work! If you don't want to use your less dominant hand or chopsticks, try this: cut up your food in very small bites. Put one bite on your fork or spoon at a time, put in mouth.. put down utensil, .. chew until food is basically nothing.. swallow.. pick up utensil.. repeat. The first thing I noticed was white bread (my previous favourite thing in the world) became much like glue when chewed completely.. I immediately discarded it from my life.. and so glad I did! You know the saying.. the whiter the bread.. the quicker you're dead. My life has changed greatly by eating slowly..so glad I did this.