Why are grains not allowed on paleo?

Options
Is the title suggests — Why are grains a no-go on the paleo diet?

I know they're extremely high in calories and also carbs generally, but surely this isn't what rules out a food like rolled oats for example?

I also know they aren't a Paleolithic-period food, but it that really the only reason they're cut out of what seems to be a very healthy diet plan? Which is in essence, a romantic ideal / philosophy.

To my knowledge foods like rolled oats are quite good for you?

Also where do seeds fall into this? Are seeds like Quinoa, Sesame, Chia, etc allowed to be consumed? Why or why not?

Just looking to gain a little understanding in this area, any help is appreciated :)

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't know about seeds since I do not follow paleo, but I am assuming that grains are not included because they must be processed--somthing that would have been impossible in paleo times.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    grains are not included because they must be processed--somthing that would have been impossible in paleo times.

This right here.

If you couldn't forage for it in the wild, you shouldn't eat it.

For this reason seeds seem to be out, because even if you did forage for them you wouldn't get very many nutrients for your effort. Seeds, as far as I know, are allowed on paleo though. With every diet plan there are quirks!
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    So it really has nothing to do with health then?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense to me - I've read lots of references to hunter gatherers collecting and using grains and seeds over a very long period of time. I've seen griding stones from many different eras in many different parts of the world.
    Those grains certainly weren't processed into timtams or Mcdonalds' burger buns but they were grains and were eaten in many parts of the world.

I also wonder why people who eat paleo or primal seem to think that protein powder and multivitamins are OK? I've never seen any reference to "super double choc protien powder" in the diet of our ancestors.

I think it's an example of people taking a good idea (eg. eating less processed stuff is sure to be good for us) and taking it to extremes (eg. only eat what I think a caveman ate).

Having said that I suspect that there are many people who don't go to extremes and eat a wide variety of relatively unprocessed foods - and that I think is a fabulous idea!
  • reenmelbs
    reenmelbs Posts: 14
    Options
    Go for wild black rice! That should be fine on that diet ;)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    So it really has nothing to do with health then?

With the exception of gluten intolerants/celiacs/those with diverticulitis grains are fine. This is coming from a girl with Celiac who hates all things wheat and gluten because they poison all the foods...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I really loved when Paleolithic man foraged for coconut-milk ice cream and cauliflower-crust pizza!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Paleo logic:

some people don't tolerate wheat
    > all grains in any amount are always bad for everyone.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    seeds and grains (grains are seeds) have toxins and are empty calories. ALL grains are avoided in preference for nutrient dense veggies and complete proteins from animals.

The goal of the paleo diet is to eat nutrient rich food and stay low glycemic index, which is easily achieved with veggies and complete proteins via whole foods. Also, grains and agriculture grain crops are a fairly new addition to human diet, hence the labeling of "caveman" or "hunter gather" diet.

go to marksdailyapple.com or another paleo diet site for the details. Ignore anyone who gives you advice about this wol if they are not a paleo practitioner. I am, the above posters are not.

Want info. on why a low carb, high fat diet like the paleo one is the best for you? Go here to stanford's 2008 study that proves it is. Just hit the last 30 min. of the summary of this study if you want to save time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eREuZEdMAVo#t=167s
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    seeds and grains (grains are seeds) have toxins and are empty calories. ALL grains are avoided in preference for nutrient dense veggies and complete proteins from animals.

The goal of the paleo diet is to eat nutrient rich food and stay low glycemic index, which is easily achieved with veggies and complete proteins via whole foods. Also, grains and agriculture are a fairly new addition to human diet, hence the labeling of "caveman" or "hunter gather" diet.

go to marksdailyapple.com or another paleo diet site for the details. Ignore anyone who gives you advice about this wol if they are not a paleo practitioner. I am, the above posters are not.

Ah so only Plaeo practitioners are knowledgeable about the diet?

And all grains are devoid of nutrients hence they are empty calories?
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Since when are grains and seeds empty calories? (momentarily stops chowing down on pickle flavoured sunflower seeds).
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

http://www.naturalnews.com/030512_whole_grains_phytic_acid.html Not only are grains devoid of nutrients, they actually rob the body of nutrients and proteins.
  • sallyspan
    sallyspan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What about a sprouted grain bread? Much better than whole wheat breads.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

http://www.naturalnews.com/030512_whole_grains_phytic_acid.html Not only are grains devoid of nutrients, they actually rob the body of nutrients and proteins.

You can't say something is "devoid of nutrients" when it contains nutrients.

de·void
    adjective
    not possessing, untouched by, void, or destitute (usually followed by of ).

And the contents of oats:

100 grams of oats contain grams 16.89 protein, 389 calories and 10.6 grams dietary fiber.
    Potassium - 429 mg
    Phosphorus - 523 mg
    Calcium - 54 mg
    Magnesium - 177 mg
    Iron - 4.72 mg
    Sodium - 2 mg
    Manganese - 4.916 mg
    Zinc - 3.97 mg
    Copper - 0.626 mg
    Also contains trace amounts of other minerals.
    Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.763 mg
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.139 mg
    Niacin - 0.961 mg
    Pantothenic Acid - 1.349 mg
    Vitamin B6 - 0.119 mg
    Folate - 56 mcg
    Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

You can't say something is "devoid of nutrients" when it contains nutrients.

de·void
    adjective
    not possessing, untouched by, void, or destitute (usually followed by of ).

And the contents of oats:

100 grams of oats contain grams 16.89 protein, 389 calories and 10.6 grams dietary fiber.
    Potassium - 429 mg
    Phosphorus - 523 mg
    Calcium - 54 mg
    Magnesium - 177 mg
    Iron - 4.72 mg
    Sodium - 2 mg
    Manganese - 4.916 mg
    Zinc - 3.97 mg
    Copper - 0.626 mg
    Also contains trace amounts of other minerals.
    Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.763 mg
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.139 mg
    Niacin - 0.961 mg
    Pantothenic Acid - 1.349 mg
    Vitamin B6 - 0.119 mg
    Folate - 56 mcg
    Contains some other vitamins in small amounts.
    I think I :heart: you, misskortney
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

The goal of the paleo diet is to eat nutrient rich food and stay low glycemic index, which is easily achieved with veggies and complete proteins via whole foods. Also, grains and agriculture grain crops are a fairly new addition to human diet, hence the labeling of "caveman" or "hunter gather" diet.

Want info. on why a low carb, high fat diet like the paleo one is the best for you? Go here to stanford's 2008 study that proves it is. Just hit the last 30 min. of the summary of this study if you want to save time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eREuZEdMAVo#t=167s

TRANSLATION: Blogs/Broscience > Science/journals/statistically sound studies.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this angle is represented but when people pose this question to me my answer is as follows.

As a species we developed the ability to breakdown AND extract all that was available from fruit, nuts, vegetables and lean meat. This evolution took place over millions of years. Our bodies have been "adapting" to agriculuture for only 10,000 years. Thats only .08% of our known existence. We have yet to fully develope the ability to deal with agriculuture and all that it produces SAFELY. Yes the body can break it down and extract some of whats in the grains/ cereals but by in large they are passed with little to no nutritional value. Combine thiat piece of info with all that you have read about gluten, the rise of obesity and diabetets (sugar/glucose from agriculture) and the obvious that all agriculutre breaks down to sugar that could have been had through fruits & vegetables and you have to at least pause and ask yourself what sense do these breads, corn, wheat products make??? Not much sense at all unless you are in a 3rd world country starving for quick sustainable food.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in learning about the paleo/primal diet, I suggest this site:
    www.marksdailyapple.com

He does tout his book, but there's a wealth of free info on that site.

Most people who are following paleo/primal are avoiding grains because of its inflammatory properties, the fact that it's not nutritionally dense (yes it contains nutrients, but those nutrients can be found in foods that have a higher nutrient/calorie ratio), linking glucose to modern diseases, and the fact that man invented bread simply in order to defeat starvation.

I'm not here to convert anyone, just to answer your question.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Sometimes "robbing" the body of things like iron and excess calcium offers protective benefits. Your body might be trying to not feed something.. like cancer. Blocking the absorption doesn't always equal "bad", does it?