Strength Training

How come the strength training section of the exercise log doesn't seem to count towards calories burned like the cardio section?

Replies

• How come the strength training section of the exercise log doesn't seem to count towards calories burned like the cardio section?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    You have to enter it into the cardio section - just type in strength training and it will pull up a little list for you. It's pretty generic, because it is so different for each person. But I use it anyway - hope this helps!! :drinker:
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    I noticed that a circuit counts as cardio, yet when I do weights at home and enter it, it goes under the strength area with no calories counted.
    I was interested to see what else counts under cardio..and stretching does...interesting.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'm going to go out on a limb saying this, but its most likely because on average strength training does not burn very many calories. I've lifted since I was in middle school, and pretty much every coach has echoed that same thing. You will lose the most calories from speeding up your heart to your target heart rate, like in cardio. Weight lifting however tends to be the sort of thing where you pump a few times, set down the weight. Walk over to the next machine, lift a few times, etc. Your heart rate will go up, but not nearly as much as a good cardio workout will push it. After your body has become accustomed to strength training, you'd most likely see a very small if any increase in heart rate.

Now circuit training is a horse of an entirely different color. You can also minimize downtime between each exercise while doing strength training to make sure your heart doesn't have much of a chance to rest.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    The info on the bottom under strength training is for a chart or something - never have looked too far into it once I discovered you just enter it under the cardio section. :drinker: