Runners, I need some advice for half marathon :-)

Options
k7n2w3
k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
Hey Guys,
I'm not really new to running but I am doing my first half marathon in less than 2 weeks. I have not done that long of a race and know I'll make the distance (and that I'll hate those things called "hills" that I never witnessed until doing practice runs on the course). Is there any advice for the week before in terms of training schedules or what to eat and what not to eat and when? Granted I know its only 13 miles not 26 so it's not as extreme but come race day I don't want any snags! I also was only training with 10 miles max per the advice of some friends who are marathon runners, has anyone else done that and had a problem with only having 10 down? I have a 5k this weekend that unfortunely was trumped by this half so speed intervals just didn't happen (sad for that but oh well). The half is on Sunday... suggestions for training schedule? Eating? Race day tips?
I figure this weeks schedule will be:
10 today, 3 tomorrow or a rest if knees hurt, Wednesday 6, massage on Thursday so taking day off, friday 2.5, saturday the 5k race, sunday 10 then next week try to vary with 5 and 6 after the 10 on sunday with 3 the day before the race???

SW 155.1
CW and GW 112.0

Replies

• ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would experiment with breakfast before your next few long runs (like tomorrow's 10 miler), see what makes you feel fueled without weighing you down. My go-to long-run breakfast is 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it. Same goes for hydration.

The day before your race follow your instincts in terms of whether or not to run, how far, and how fast- there's no shame in not running that day, considering what's on your plate for the next morning. I usually run 2-3 miles two days before a race, and then the day before take it REALLY easy so I'm rarin' to go the morning of the race.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've no answers, but I'm training for my first 10k and I'm interested in any tips you get :-)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've got my 8th half marathon this Sunday.
    My advice is, easy run on Thursday - maybe 4 or 5 miles but at the pace you hope to do for the half, rest Friday, very easy run on Saturday - maybe 2 miles.
    There are different theories (big shock, I know) on carb loading. Some 'expert's say to carb load the night before, others say to do it 2-3 days before and still others say it really does nothing for you. I think you have to do what's best for you, but I would not eat a large meal Saturday night, no matter what you choose.
    Morning of race, get up early, get to the race a solid half hour or more before it starts. Go for a short run (about a half mile), then stretch, pee and get ready to rock it.
    You may want to eat a protein bar or energy gel before the race as well. When it comes to eating, it's good to know what doesn't upset your stomach - you don't really want to experiment on race day. I usually have a GU before the race and, for that distance, I'll carry another one to have after about an hour or so.
    Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    If you can comfortably do 10 then 13.1 won't be a problem, especially once you are caught up in the atmosphere of race day.

Your plan looks fine, what you do in the last week won't really improve on anything so you shouldn't have to bust a gut and risk injury etc. Just keep hydrated for the week leading up to the race, just have a carb heavy couple of days leading up to race day, and a light breakfast on the day of slow release carbs and you'll be all set :)
  • MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do you ice bath after long runs? I'd suggest that for recovery if you are doing your 10. I don't think you need to do the full 13. I ran a marathon after only running 20 miles a few weeks leading up to it.

In fact, I would run the 10, ice bath, rest, maybe 4 miles and some cross training, Friday 2.5, 5K Saturday, 8 Sunday, ice bath.....and just do some easy miles and cross train. If I could do one thing over again for the marathon - it'd be more cross training.

As my marathon trainer said, "The hay is in the barn." I used my 10 miles as a dress rehearsal for the race - wear what I'm probably going to wear and sort out my nutrition.

Good luck and have fun!
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    very interesting - thanks!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a good plan for the week of the race.

For the future though there is no reason to stop at 10 mile runs when training for a half marathon. You should probably be doing at least one 10 mile run every week during the training cycle and a 14 or 15 mile run every two weeks or so.

During Marathon training people run less that the marathon distance because 26 miles is very stressful on the body. The half marathon is short enough that you can run further than the race distance often.
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi first of all good luck on your first half!

I've only done 1 before and it was a disaster as i hadn't prepared correctly. It sounds like you have trained hard and have an excellent plan in place, so i expect you will be fine :-)

I have 3 halfs this spring so am working hard on making sure everything is in place.

I think the general advice is - don't try any new foods the night before.

If you havent already settled on your pre race breakfast - do so.

If using gels during the race make sure that you have tried them before the big day - again you dont want to be caught short!!

***Make sure you are fully hydrated before setting off**** My mistake last time out!

Wear clothing you are totally comforatble in - IE nott he brand new trainers you may treat yourself to!

A massage a week before is a great idea

Running no more than 10 miles in your build up to a half is fine, but many runners would want to know they can complete the distance and course before the race. The decision is yours.

Finally enjoy the experience!

Best wishes

Mick.
  • ajclemons5
    Options
    if you can do 10 mi well, than the half won't be a problem. I always take it easy the week of and just do nice easy runs. I usually wouldn't run at all, and would really just try to relax the day before. Lots of water all week if you can. Have fun and good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never do much the week before a race. I don't carb load and just eat on my regular schedule and normal diet. I do a day of upper body work, yoga, and stretch. Lots of water the two days before, avoid alcohol if you ever drink, and try to keep salty foods to a minimum.

I trained up to 15 miles for all my half's so can't give you any words there.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Race day tips:
    - don't eat too much fibre that morning

- get in the porta potty line up early

- don't try anything new on race day - no new sports drinks, gels, shoes, clothes, shirts, etc.

- don't stop abruptly at the water stations in front of other runners; move to the side and keep moving forward if you are drinking

- don't wear the race shirt til you've earned it by finishing the race

- Most importantly - have fun! :drinker:
  • k7n2w3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!! I truly do appreciate it!

In terms of just doing 10 is because the half snuck up on me and that's all I have under my belt, otherwise I'd prob have already run the course so I knew the whole route... i had absolutely NO intention of running this half due to the "scary" hills but my friend has taken me on some 7 mile (most of which all up hill maybe like half mile downhill) training runs the last 2 week so I decided spur of the moment to sign up since I had done the 10 and then conquered hills. I really appreciate everyone's advice and can't wait to get out there! and to think over a year ago I couldnt even run a quarter mile! If anyone thinks of anything else feel free to add more!!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I took Jelly Bellys to my first half. They definitely gave me the spike I needed to finish out, plus they have way more interesting flavors than the Gu!

If at all possible...POOP before you run. I was so stressed about this, and couldn't and had stomach problems after the race.

My pre race brkfast was oatmeal..but I'd suggest maybe eggs and oatmeal next time. Whatever you do, practice it before.

My sister in law gave me the best advise...you are just going out for a little run, with a lot of other people. Don't be worried. It will be fun.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ive done two halfs so far- and my main advice is to make sure u dont eat anything that might bother your stomach. for 2 days prior id prob steer clear of spicy, more exotic foods and eat foods u know your body is used to. have a low releasing carb like oatmeal the morning of- and a banana to help with your joints. good luck to u!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    before my half-marathon in october last year, i had only run 10 miles. my training suggested more, but i couldn't seem to make it past that. it was a mental block. on race day i started slow, almost too slow, for the first 6 miles. then i ran a normal-to-me pace for 4 miles and then slowed down again. it worked but i was disappointed in my time.

i recommend a really light week before the race, maybe two 3-mile runs and that is it.

the biggest change for me between training and the actual event was bathroom breaks. i needed 3, when the most i had ever needed before was 1. probably just nerves, or maybe the additional fuel at the water stations. anyway, be prepared for that possibility (and carry either a small amount of toilet paper with you or some kleenex). :)
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything different than usual diet wise leading up to a half. You might want to carb up a bit the night before and have some lean protein, and definitely don't cut calories this week, but carbo loading several days before the race is totally unnecessary, especially for a Half. I have run quite a few marathons and even at that distance, I never noticed much difference based on what I ate several days pre-race.

I have always had pretty good luck on race morning with a banana and a bagel with peanut butter and or Clif bar. During the race, hydrate at as many aid stations as possible. It's been my experience that my times are slower when I blow off aid stations to save time and try to gut it out. I actually had my best marathon time at Boston last year stopping at nearly every water station. That few seconds rest helped me be less fatigued and better fueled to last to the finish.

Your schedule for the week for running looks pretty much right on. Good luck!

Lots of my friends swear by ice baths, but I've never taken the plunge, and I'm not aware of any scientific evidence on the alleged benefits.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Race day tips:
    - don't eat too much fibre that morning

- get in the porta potty line up early

- don't try anything new on race day - no new sports drinks, gels, shoes, clothes, shirts, etc.

- don't stop abruptly at the water stations in front of other runners; move to the side and keep moving forward if you are drinking

- don't wear the race shirt til you've earned it by finishing the race

- Most importantly - have fun! :drinker:

And this. Def concur on the shirt...gotta earn it before you wear it.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    One other bit of advice. When that gun goes off, run the race that you have trained for. Your adrenaline will be pumpin, resist the urge to go out of the gate and kill it. Enjoy the atmospheric and have fun.
  • AWest0716
    AWest0716 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think your training plan looks great! I have done 5 half marathons and honestly I think doing the 10 once would be fine for your first half but if you feel you need to do it twice, it should be fine.

I will say I went over the "10 mile max" and ran a 12 miler the week before a race once... big mistake, I went into the race with an aching foot and I should've just stuck to the 10.

I don't think carb loading is necessary for a half but I don't think it hurts as long as you don't go overboard :)

You've gotten some great advice, good luck!
  • k7n2w3
    Options
    thanks again everyone! Before I ran my 1st and only other race the first thing i learned was no tshirt until earned haha that's about ALL I knew at that point! I'm really looking forward to it! I will be picky eating on Friday/Saturday and no weekend "beverages", save them to celebrate 1st of hopefully many halfs! I might heed the advice of keeping the week before a little lighter than the original plan. Any thoughts on taking Glucosimine or ibuprofen in the mix?