OCD, Weight loss and emotional eating...

Options
... this spells disaster. I have been an emotional eater for years and want to stop! I want a lifestyle change. I have OCD and when I try to loose weight I obsess about it so bad that I panic if I get off track. i always think its all or nothing. This leads to binging and giving up. I dont know how to change that part on this journey to a new lifestyle.

I also feel that I have an addiction to food. I dont want to "diet" for the rest of my life. I guess you could say I am afraid to change because I am afraid to fail.. yet again. I know that I just need to start making small changes and when I make a bad choice to just keep on trying to make better choices. I know you cant change the past but you can continue to keep changing the future.

I only have 30 lbs to loose but I am TERRIFIED of being overly obese. I see my mother make terrible choices in life and she is obese and I do not want to be like that. My eating habits are also affecting my childrens eating habits. This has got to change!How do I let go of my "addiction" to food and get through obsessing about loosing weight and eating healthy? I dont think i can do this alone!

Replies

• ncwilmes
    ncwilmes Posts: 4
    Options
    My sister is also obese (she is on the left in my picture). I want to learn some things on here to help her as well.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, the best route would be therapy and a nutritionist. You can learn to make healthy choices and cope with the OCD. Good luck! :)
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to see a counselor because messges from people on the internet, while encouraging, aren't really the kind of support you might need especially if you have OCD. Having OCD can make things so much harder.

Secondly, don't worry about your mother. She is her own person as are you. You are the one that can take control of your life. It's obvious you do want to change your life and diet, not only for yourself but for your children. Don't be afraid to fail. I'd say 99% of us fail at weight loss some time or another. There's always the next day to start again. Don't think of it as being on a diet. You are changing your eating habits to better feed your mind body and soul. It may start slow but you can do it. Good luck to you!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My OCD has done nothing but help my weight loss. It makes it very easy to track everything, pack lunches the night before, and a thousand other things that turn my neurosis into lots of little good habits. :) Good luck, you can do it!
  • mb2j83
    mb2j83 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would definitely encourage counseling to help with the OCD. Now, for your family, check out this article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/03/12/148330045/gain-together-lose-together-the-weight-loss-halo-effect
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, the best route would be therapy and a nutritionist. You can learn to make healthy choices and cope with the OCD. Good luck! :)

I was thinking the same... i don't know how you are managing your disorder, but you may see that you have more success if you get a professional involved (such a cognitive behaviour therapist, counselor etc.). You are clearly motivated otherwise you wouldn't have made this post which is an amazing first step and something you should be proud of.

I'm not saying this would definitely work, just what sprung to mind when I read your post, and just wondering if it was a route you had considered.

Best of luck in reaching your goals :flowerforyou:
  • itsall4younow
    Options
    I have been in a similar cycle your decribing for about a year now. I will start a diet or lifestyle change, and then "mess up" and allow that to get me completely off track and binge. This makes me feel worse, and I spin out of control. It's a vicious cycle, that I hate being in. I have realized it but failed to get help for a long time.

Recently I started seeing a therapist who has helped a lot. I would recomend like others have to seek some professional help. There are a lot of resources for OCD, nutrition, and food addicition.

Also, start with yourself. I know you are concerned with other people in your life but you have to take care of yourself first.

Oh and best of luck to you. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here! :flowerforyou: