Loose skin - Belly fat

Options
nk17
nk17 Posts: 141 Member
So I've been losing and have now lost a fairly good bit.
I have a lot of loose skin since most of my weight is/was in my tummy.
Does anyone have any good exercises for reducing this excess?
I've been trying to read and look on YouTube and so far the only things I've found is situps/crunches, more protein and more water.
Oh, and it helps to be young, which I'm not.
Anything extra in the exercise department would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to get brave and start with the weights. But I'm quite unreasonably afraid to go over there to the weights section and look like an idiot not knowing what I'm doing.
Hope some of you have some pointers.

Replies

• BJAK29
    BJAK29 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hummm - At the gym, they have folks who will take the time to show you how to use the equipment. They'd rather you didn't get hurt -- so ask at the front desk they should be very helpful - if not, call and I'll down and smack'em around - HAHAHA.

I know what you're saying about the belly, its an issue that has me considering that cool lazer treatment thing... seriously. (of course I still have a way to go - but I'm just sayin' - I AM thinkin'bout it!)

Its a tough area, OH HEY is there a rowing machine? That will give your whole body and core a work out.... Sit ups and crunches are over rated if you ask me!! Pilates classes work the core. Does your gym offer free classes? (my old one did - so that was great) Yoga was my preferred class but it depends on the instructor I think. So it's a crap-shoot I guess....

Maybe try to do a plank but on your elbows.... holding that position works the core..... (like the start of a push up but with your fore arms on the ground)

Hang in there.... Something will come about or someone with a perfect reply..... :flowerforyou:
  • nk17
    Options
    No one else has something to say?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do for loose skin. Either it will snap back or it won't. A lot depends on your genetics. Time will help some, as will underlying muscle tone, but it may never go completely back, sorry to say!
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    And you cant spot reduce problem areas, so as you lose more and more all over the belly will reduce, and the skin that is going to shrink back will do, I've heard it can take up to 2 years for it to happen, so dont stress
  • aneksteind
    Options
    I can tell you (as someone who works with weights 6 days a week) that weight training does not help reduce belly fat/skin. Your best option is to do 20-30 minutes of high intensity cardiovascular activity per day, and watch your diet closely. Don't limit carbs or calories too dramatically (no more than 20%) or your body will go into an anti-starvation mode and start storing fat.

If you want to exercise your core, this will help you stabilize your midsection and possibly add some muscle that could stretch you skin a bit, but minimally.

Hope this helps.
  • nk17
    Options
    Thank you all, I think. No good news seems to be the predominate theory. I'm already on the treadmill an average of 45 min a day. I'm trying to do some situps, such as I am able to do at this point and something called a standing side crunch. I'm also trying to do the Nautilus machines that target the tummy or back area as much as I have time to do. This week I lost another 2.5 lbs. of body fat so I'm definitely on the right track with the dieting. I just hate when I run down the stairs and hear a noise I shouldn't hear. I will keep working on it and looking for answers. I want to avoid surgery if at all possible. I will take the advice below and wait until I've been at my goal weight a good while before attempting anything in that area. But I'm very concerned and if there is anything more I can do to nip the problem in the bud, I am all ears. Thanks.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If it helps I always just think, the belly skin might not be ideal, but I'd rather be fitter and a healthier weight with some loose belly skin, than unhealthy and heavier :) We can always hie our skin under clothes and no one else will know xxx

You are doing fantastic :)
  • nk17
    Options
    Don't worry. I'm not discouraged, just trying to be pre-emptive.
    Much rather not have the sleep apnea, the threat of diabetes, the worry of high cholesterol and all the rest of the horrible things that go with my previous condition. Much, much happier being a bit flabby and a ton healthier.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose and this is the thing that freaks me out the most. I have hidden my body for 40 years so I will just keep hiding it but in hopefuly smaller clothes and feeling a lot healthier!!!
  • nk17
    Options
    So no one has any good exercises to try?
  • elwinberry
    Options
    I'm going to start a gym this week and that was one thing I was going to ask the trainer. So I will let you know.