Does exercise really help with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    A quote I read (I think it was Body for Life) said you can lose weight by diet- but if you were a pear- you're just going to be a smaller pear. If you really want to change the shape of your body then weight training is key to reshaping.

It's one of the quotes that has stuck with me- even though I don't 'follow' his plan :)
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    I began strength training the first week of June and it seemed that my weight just stopped, but 6 weeks later I got on the scale (I only weigh once a week) and I dropped 3 lbs. over night and I've been losing .3-.5 every week since. So, don't give it up, it's great for your body and definitely assists in weight control.
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    Also, with strength training I actually gain weight. When I was at my ideal weight and working out 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights each day I wasn't loosing a pound, in fact I gained a few. But my clothes fit better. If you start using weights don't be discouraged in the begining when you don't see the scale drop. Your muscles will retain water in order to repair themsleves after a workout. I usually see the scale go up about 1 lb from that. The water usually goes away in a day or two and you will see the pound go away on the scale then. It is important to keep measurements for this reason. Otherwise you get frustrated.
  • ilmommkc
    ilmommkc Posts: 73
    Options
    Exercise and Diet should go hand in hand. I have been eating better since May with minimal exercise and have lost 14 pounds and very few inches. However, from the end of Feb til May I was eating better AND going to step class. I lost 30lbs and 10" in my hips alone. I'd say exercise is crutial to toning and slimming.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Eat less to lose weight; exercise for fitness.

I like that one!

Another part of this discussion is when people under-estimate how much they eat and over-estimate how much they workout. I see these people in the gym; they've been going for years and still come off the gym floor and step on the weighing scales. Do they expect to see an immeadiate change because they just worked out? If they are not keeping themselves in a caloric deficit they will not lose weight.