Pedometer calories burned.

Options
Has anyone got a pedometer that records steps, distance, and calories burned? It's a shame there is not a category, or a way to record steps taken, and record the calories burned according to it...I wear mine all day, and wanted a way to record the calories it says I have burned, for today, I have chosen slow walking, and put on however many minutes add up to the pedometers calories burned....
Anyone know what I am talking about?

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You'd have to manually enter the calorie value. You can make your own exercise and call it "pedometer" or something like that. However, I would suggest not counting or eating back these calories. MFP estimates this for you when you pick your activity level based on your job. It's already built in. Only count the calories that you go out of your way to burn.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Unfortunately it's impossible to judge calories burned by steps alone. Calories burned are better told with heart rate and here's an example as to why: You have a 20 yr old who weighs approximately 130lbs and walks 1000 steps going at a pace of 2.0.... and you have a 55 yr old who weighs 425lbs and does 1000 steps at a pace of 4.0 and the latter one will burn more calories. Make sense? So the same 1000 steps, but totally different burns due to the work involved. A heart rate monitor is the best judge of calories burned. Hope that helps!
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Very valid points, I would only normally use calories burnt on long walks etc anyway, I used to count housework calories, but my weight did not budge, so like I say, I only eat back, like you say, calories used outside of normal daily activities.
    Thanks for your advice.
  • cdjmom
    cdjmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The pedometer I have shows the number of steps taken, the distance walked, the calories burned, the speed of the walking and the length of time you walked. When you get it, you program your weight and stride length into it so that it will be more accurate. The pedometer is a Sportline and I bought it for $30 at Best Buy. Hope this helps.
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's more expensive than a regular pedometer, but I have really been loving the fitbit (www.fitbit.com).
    I had been using MFP set to sedentary and then plugging in my main exercise...bicycling.
    However by using the Fitbit, I discovered I was way more active during the day than I realized. It also motivates me to move even more.
    Thus I have discovered that I am more in the "active" category, even without my bike riding, than "sedentary". I get more calories, I'm losing slowly and not so frustrated...

Fitbit also syncs with MFP so it pulls your daily activity calorie burn over to your log here.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The pedometer I have shows the number of steps taken, the distance walked, the calories burned, the speed of the walking and the length of time you walked. When you get it, you program your weight and stride length into it so that it will be more accurate. The pedometer is a Sportline and I bought it for $30 at Best Buy. Hope this helps.

I think I have the same pedometer as you and I use it all the time. If I'm staying at home, I won't bother counting my steps but if I'm going out of the house to do at least 10 minutes of intentional walking, I'll put it on and keep it on all day. I'm doing a 10k walk next month and it's handy knowing how far I'm walking.

I just record it as 'walking' and whatever speed my pedometer last recorded me as walking (obviously my pace changes throughout the day).
    I don't try to eat back the calories my pedometer says I've burned, but it's nice to know I can eat a little something extra at the end of the day :)