Increasing your calories to lose???

Options
I have read numerous posts about increasing your calories in order to start losing weight again.
Many people mention that they initially gain weight and then start losing..if this has been your situation can you tell me:

1) How much you gained before the weight started dropping
2) How long (days/weeks) before your weight started to drop again.

Thanks!!

p.s I had posted this in another forum..but I think it might be better suited to this one.

Replies

• mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Definitely worked for me! I had a bad habit of undereating so I'd have a big food day on the weekends...sometimes a couple days. It got me over my plateau of being stuck at 133...almost overnight I dropped to 131.4! But now after a month of eating whatever I am up to 133.4 again haha :)
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I increased my calories by 200 per day. I didn't gain any weight, but it did take about 3 weeks before the weight started coming off. I believe I was in starvation mode for a couple of months though before I increased my calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was consuming 1200 calories and lost nothing for 9 weeks, upped calories to 1450(about 150 over BMR).

Gained about 2 pounds and then 2 weeks later lost a pound a week until I hit my goal weight. Now I'm maintaining. :)

I now eat around 1700 calories a day and don't gain.
  • Kell888
    Kell888 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have had troubles with plateus throughout so far. I don't calorie bump for a long time period. I'll calorie bump for one day and eat like 700 extra then go back to normal to jump start it if I'm only losing a couple of ounces a week. If I am not losing at all I'll calorie cycle and take my entire weeks calories i.e. 1700/day =11900 and divide it up between the days in different amounts so I'll do 2200 for a day, 1800 for a day 1500 another day until all the calories are spread out through the week. And I obviously don't put the "cheat" days near each other. I found this kept my body guessing how many calories it was going to get and worked. I'd have at least a pound a week doing this method.