Working out at night?

Options
Does anyone else only work out after 8pm? Do you find that you still get an optimal workout?

With my schedule I pretty much have 5am or after 8 to work with. I generally try to get my crazy cardio in on the weekends so I'm not awake every night but I still find it hard to go to sleep sometimes.

Am I beating up my body by working out so close to bedtime or is occasional tossing and turning the only side effect?

p.s. Writing this at 10pm, just before my workout haha.

Replies

• abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Since I work night-shift I only workout at night. Days I work, I workout at 1700, days I'm off anywhere from 1600-1900. So far all is well.
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work out anywhere between 7:30-9 pm 4x a week. That is the only times I can get the workout in (I don't get home until 6-7pm every night).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have tried evening lifting and it interferes with my sleep TERRIBLY, to the point that I just can't do it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else only work out after 8pm? Do you find that you still get an optimal workout?

With my schedule I pretty much have 5am or after 8 to work with. I generally try to get my crazy cardio in on the weekends so I'm not awake every night but I still find it hard to go to sleep sometimes.

Am I beating up my body by working out so close to bedtime or is occasional tossing and turning the only side effect?

p.s. Writing this at 10pm, just before my workout haha.

I work graveyard shift so my sechdules well abnormal to say the least. 11pm-7am Thu-Mon. I work in a secure location and there's alot of downtime. anywhere from 1-3 hrs. I take advantage and go outside for 30-45 mins. usually around 2AM. the 3 people I work with are cool and they support me 110%. they cover for me if it's needed. Since I work weekends as well and it's even less busy then. I'll just show up to work in my workout clothes and do my thing when I have time.

exercise effects people differently I think. I for one can easily go workout, take a nice shower afterwards and go straight to sleep, no problems.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I can't do real late at night. Luckily my gym closes at 9... so I go straight after work and am usually finished by 7.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I also only work out at night, after work, during the week day (I have the weekends off, so I go whenever, then).

I'm definitely not a morning person...I have to be at work for 8:30am, and I usually have a hard enough time trying to get out of bed before 8am!

My gym closes at 9pm during the week day, so I try to get there before 6 or 7pm to make sure I get a decent burn. I have heard before that exercising too close to you bedtime can make your body a bit antsy, and make it hard to get to sleep.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at night the last few days just because I've been crazy busy and I think it's what is causing me not to be able to sleep!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I work out usually 8pm or later. I love it, the gym is dead, it gives me a chance to really just let loose. I can't wake up in the mornings and go to the gym, if that was the case I'd never do it. I tried working out right after work but I'm always needing a break right after work. The best for me seems to be late at night. I say work out when it works out the best for you!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I work out usually 8pm or later. I love it, the gym is dead, it gives me a chance to really just let loose. I can't wake up in the mornings and go to the gym, if that was the case I'd never do it. I tried working out right after work but I'm always needing a break right after work. The best for me seems to be late at night. I say work out when it works out the best for you!

The empty gym is definitely the best part!!
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    On the evenings I can sneak out I usually hit the gym between 7-9pm ...I find my workouts a lot smoother at this time of day for some reason opposed to my a.m workouts on the weekends. Most times I have already put in a full day and can come home have a hot shower and pass out. But every person's body/life style etc is different.
  • bb0322
    bb0322 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love working out at night. Not sure if there's a significant difference in terms of metabolism and calories burnt and such, but it works for me :-)
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I always work out during the week right before bedtime. It's the onlyt ime I have.
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    Drink a glass of milk before bed... It helps with muscle repair and with your sleep. :)
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I work out as late as 8:30pm sometimes and I've noticed that I don't fall right to sleep like I used to, prior to not exercising. But I just think it's because I have more energy now that I exercise a bit. I usually read if I can't fall right to sleep.
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I often work out in the evening and night ( starting at 7pm...8pm...9pm and infrequently as late at 10pm). These late workout starts mean i'm usually finishing an hour to 2 hours later depending on my program/routine. Finishing a workout this late is not something the interferes with my sleep. I do find my showering late at night is a bit of a disturbance to my family they are often in bed by then).

I do make sure I stretch out VERY good after a workout. This is something too many people tend to skip. Post exercise stretching helps dissipate excess lactic acid, and can minimize problems with delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS...google it).

I have had DOMS symptoms occur in the days following a strenuous night workout if I failed to do a proper post workout stretch.

Best of luck with your personal fitness and weight loss goals!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer working out at night because when I am done I am usually completely exhausted & I sleep really well
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    i work during the day so i dont get to work out until 5:30 or after. sometimes i'm wide awake after a work out and don't get to sleep until 1AM or later but other than that it doesn't phase me. :)