Loosing inches but not pounds... ???

Options
Hey all..

Just a general question.. I have been doing this lifestyle change for 3 weeks today.. i have lost a total of 7.2 lbs... all weight lost on the 1st week... the last 2 weeks i stayed the same weight.. not budging!!! However.. yesterday .. i measured my inches here were my results

Lost 1 '' off my waist
Lost 2'' of my bellybutton
Lost 1'' off my hips
Lost 1'' off my neck

So a total of 5 '' from what i measured... but no pounds lost..

Any advice? Is this happening to anyone else?

Thankssss for your reply.. add me for support!!!

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're replacing fat with muscle tissue? If you recently started doing any muscle training then you might actually see a couple of pounds on the scale.

The scale is very deceptive... Inches lost is much more accurate!
  • Justforgetthis
    Options
    That's actually great! It means you're gaining muscle and losing you're body fat!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks not to see the scale move, but a 5 inch loss is amazing! So glad you were measuring! Wonder how many times that happens and people aren't measuring so they just give up...
  • b9r1i1
    b9r1i1 Posts: 1
    Options
    definitely has happened to me! just keep plugging away... the scale will catch up. don't get discouraged though. it will just start happening all of the sudden again. it's almost like your body is in shock of what's going on~ good job! i'm right there with you!
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have had just about the same results. In the past month I have lost 3 pounds and 7.5 inches! I lost the 3 lbs the first week then nothing for the past couple weeks. It's discouraging to see the scale stay the same but if you are losing inches that that's more important. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, for me i'm throwing the scale away for a few weeks so that I don't keep getting disapointed since I know i'm losing inches.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely if any muscle was gained it would be very little as muscle takes time, effort and load with recovery to build. that being said if you did just start working out your muscle are most likely retaining water to protect them and aid in recovery. this water retention would mask fat loss when using the scale. And 7 lbs is actually a large loss over 3 weeks, most people lose 1-2 lbs/week you are at a pace higher than 2lbs/week.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Weight is a really innacurate way of tracking progress. You need to measure by body fat since you are changing body composition.

Weight loss != fat loss

Also 7 pounds in the weeks is extremely good. I'd expect your losses will be lower from now on.

Good luck!
  • rbaubonis
    Options
    You should still be very happy!!! You are likely building muscle and did not have too much fat to lose. Sometimes you need to change up your exercise and diet, and not get too much into a routine... as that will stop your progress. Instead of walking, you could jump rope, chop wood, or lift some light weights... something that will change the typical circuit. But you shouldn't get frustrated... It's also possible that you lost a lot of water weight the first week, and you actually lost weight the 2nd week, it was just a little more disguised, if you understand what I'm saying. I switched from Coke and sodas, to water with propel, and it made a huge difference...
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's actually great! It means you're gaining muscle and losing you're body fat!

^This!! Congratulations, you're doing it right!! :O) Just keep doing what you're doing!!
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hey all..

Just a general question.. I have been doing this lifestyle change for 3 weeks today.. i have lost a total of 7.2 lbs... all weight lost on the 1st week... the last 2 weeks i stayed the same weight.. not budging!!! However.. yesterday .. i measured my inches here were my results

Lost 1 '' off my waist
    Lost 2'' of my bellybutton
    Lost 1'' off my hips
    Lost 1'' off my neck

So a total of 5 '' from what i measured... but no pounds lost..

Any advice? Is this happening to anyone else?

Thankssss for your reply.. add me for support!!!
    I don't see what the problem is. As long as your losing it's all good. TBH I like losing both but if I just lose inches it's also great. Congrats just keep on track and you will be fine
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    That's the same thing that is happening to me so I decided that I would stay off the scale for 3 to 4 weeks. I do measure weekly and am still losing inches. Good thing. About one week to go before I step on scale again. I wish both you and me luck in finally losing some weight.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    5 inches and 7+lbs in 3 weeks is fab!

The best thing is that its relatively sustainable 1 to 2 lbs a week is healthy.

Defo let your body settle into this for a few weeks. I think bodies get confused in first few weeks. They lose weight, then almost fight to retain what you have, and eventually submit, when you show you are determined!

Exercise may replace fat with muscle, but muscle usually looks so much better.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    :flowerforyou: In 3 weeks, myself, I saw the same thing! I lost 3 pounds my first week, and then have lost a few ounces each week - but when I did my measurements I lost a total of 4.5 inches ... I know it's really discouraging to not see the weight go down on the scale. I weight train 2x a week with a trainer and do tons of cardio - but at least with the measurements I know i'm getting smaller!!! and A LOT MORE TONED :) ...

i was told to look into adding MORE protein in my snacks and meals to see if this helps with weight loss this week.. we noticed most of my snacking was starchy... Maybe that will help? Instead of my hummus and melba toast I'm doing low sodium turkey and lettuce wraps.. and greek yogurts instead of regular ones..

anyone have any comments to maybe this helping? thanks!
  • Thanks for all the advice.. :D

I was extremely happy with the results.. but when i see my 6'4 fiancee loosing the same amount of weight as i am with no exercise and i'm busting my butt exercising it kinda sucks lol .. but i do agree that 5 inches lost is a good amount.. aiming to loose more with time to come.. I will definetly take to advice of not letting it discourage me.. i am in this for a life change.. it's almost 1 month i will not give up now or ever.. :)