Quitting smoking and losing weight

Options
Hi

After losing loads of weight I have now decided to quit smoking and would hate to put it back on. Is anybody else doing both of these things.

Finding it really hard at the moment as I am craving carbs,carbs and more carbs. Me thinks I need a bit of support and encouragement :)

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did smoking before loosing weight.
    Not sure anyone who is going to pull off both at the same time.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for almost a year now. I lost 32lbs before I quit smoking and then lost another 32 now I have gained a little over the holidays but I still lost. Don't let that fear you from quitting smoking! It can be done. April 4th will be my year of no smoking! Go ahead and dare yourself!
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I recently hit 70 lbs and then decided to quit smoking. Today is day 15.

I had about a week and a half of really really snacking hard. I gained a few pounds and have already lost them. If you gain 10 lbs- its NOT the end of the world. I keep gum and hard candy around. I used the electronic cigarette for a while. I played with a rubberband at times. I chewed on a straw at times. I also... which I loved... ate a ton of pretzel sticks. Low in calories and fat, little high in sodium, but a seriously great distraction for your mouth. same with 100 calorie bags of pocorn.

Its now day 15 and I dont do any of the above anymore. I still eat pretzels but its a snack for me.

You can do this I promise! I smoked btwn 3/4 of a pack and a pack a day. It can be done I promise.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yes. I quit smoking on Oct 17, 2011 for good!

The one thing I did differently this time (of about 100 times), is make a list of things to do to get through the rough times. The first week; expect the worst case scenario. My list had a variety of things like play a game of solitaire, walk around the block, brush the cat, look at the inspirational list:
    http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html
    I still have this list posted on my fridge.
    Anyway, just make sure you have a plan of action/escape for any scenario. Make a good long list of the above activities so you have a good choice for whatever mood you are in. Also, have some specific snacks, on hand, you plan on eating if you get too crazy.

I sorta did it the opposite way. I quit smoking first then started my weight loss plan in January. I had been trying to quit smoking for the past 30, yes **30** years! I tried everything; the patch; pills; hypnosis; acupuncture and you know what worked for me? Cold turkey!
    Good luck!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free now for 6 months and still losing. I haven't gained any weight back. For me, it is paying attention to my caloric intake and making sure I work out. It is very DOABLE at the same time. Just have to have the motivation and determination to do it. Your body will love you for it! Best wishes and good luck on your journey. =^_^=
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Lost 35 lbs before I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. I have not gained anything back and even lost 2 more since I quit. You can do it...you just have to work HARD at not eating in place of smoking (look at it as if you're starting your healthy eating journey all over again).. The one thing I did this time was to start the C25K running plan the day I quit and have noticed the lung function improvement helps me work out harder and longer now.

Also..if you have a smart phone, check out the QuitNow ap...it helps you track your savings and health improvments and is great motivation to stay on track!
  • Shire_lady
    Options
    I am ashamed to say I put on nearly 3 stone when I packed up smoking 3 years ago and have been struggling to get rid of it ever since. I have an active lifestyle but the will to eat properly is so hard at the moment.

Sorry to be so negative but I think it's right to confess!!
  • deeelsden
    Options
    Thanks for your comment, and I am sure you will get rid of those pounds eventually. Were you overweight before you quit smoking?
  • hennaed
    hennaed Posts: 14
    Options
    Please don't let this discourage you, but I gained 30 pounds when I quit smoking. That's pretty much why I'm on mfp. I feel sooooooooo much better, look better, smell better and have more money since becoming a quitter. My advice is to go for it tho! Maybe your willpower is stronger than mine. Best of luck to you, sweetie!!
  • Shire_lady
    Options
    I have always battled with weight but managed to keep it under control. I am pleased I am still not smoking but need to lose weight and this year I shall! Good luck.
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    Very hard to do but can be done if "you" want it to happen :) cigs are like food they are an adiction and to give up 2 adictions at once contains a great deal of will power.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Never give up! You can do it. chew more gum! LoL I am a smoker too. My sister quit this way and I am going to give it a try too. first she switched to lights for 2 weeks...then she went down to 1 per hr for 2 weeks....then 1 every 2 hours etc. Eventually she was down to just 1 cig in the morning with her coffee. That was the hardest 1 for her to give up but...eventually she did it. she never gained any weight.:flowerforyou:
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I couldnt do both at the same time. Once I have my weight closer to my goal I am going for it! then even if I gain 10 lbs I will be stronger to take it off again.
  • Isabella_91
    Options
    I stopped smoking last year and didn't gain any weight... but now I smoke again. I would like to stop smoking and lose weight at the same time; maybe it would be easier because doing exercise makes me don't want to smoke or eat.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    I quit on the 21st May 2011, continued going to the gym, ok I didn't really watch my calories at that time but keeping active helped me not put any weight on. I found things to do instead of smoke at night time, just simple things like put the washing machine on, fold clothes etc. From the start of the year, I cut out fizzy juice, and fatty snacks and I am trying to eat clean as possible

I'm 3 days short of being off them for 300 days and I feel amazing, I sweat like hell at the gym now, I don't get as out of breath as I did and it's paying off

You can get apps for the smart phones similar to the app for MFP that tells you how you are doing each, day week etc and how many cigarettes this really helped me
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I quit about 3 weeks ago and I've lost a pound a week since, other than this week because I had a major binge =O was yummy tho :)

You'll do fine :)

Good luck!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I gave up my 30-35 a day habit on the 04.04.04
    I gained weight about 2 stone but to be honest I don't think the 3 king size Mars bars a day helped :laugh:
    But I do believe that if I hadn't turned to chocolate I would not have gained - it just depends on what you substitute it for - sugar free chewing gum would have been a whole lot better :bigsmile:

Now, today, it was the best thing I have ever done - I now feel so much better for it & glad I succeeded. as they say
    'Don't give up, Giving up'
  • szossz
    szossz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm just doing the same! Quitting while trying to loose weight, and it totally can be done. I use app livestrong myquit coach, that helps me a lot. Combined with cal counting and MFP i didn't gain, i even started loose weight. Im down from 2 boxes of cigs to 8 pc per day. I also started jogging (what i never did before), i set my goal of being able to run 5 km-s in half a year, after 12 years of smoking, and well, in small steps it works, every day i feel myself a bit sronger.
    Good luck with quitting!