18 Years of baggage to get rid of!

Options
CEQuick75
CEQuick75 Posts: 311 Member
My name is Chris. I'm 36, married, and have two kids. I was in pretty decent shape up through high school, and then came the "freshman 15". That was followed by the sophomore 20, junior 25, and so on. The last time I weighed myself (a couple of weeks ago) I was at my all time high of 278. I knew it was time to change. I had a friend ask me to write down everything I ate and bring the list the next week. After a short search for phone apps, I found MFP, and have been hooked!

Today is the 9th day I have been using the app/website, and I have logged every single piece of food I have put in my mouth. Even after a late night of drinking and fast food, I was proud to look at the log the next day and see what kind of damage a lot of those nights can do!

I'm not sure when I should do my first weight-in. I kind of want to wait a few weeks so as to not get discouraged. My goal is 205. I know it will not be easy or fast, but even at 2lbs/wk, I might be able to see it in a year :)

Replies

• CEQuick75
    Options
    weighed myself for the first time since starting mfp, and I've lost 8lbs :)
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • CEQuick75
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Good progress so far!

For your weigh ins you just need to ensure they are under the same circumstances. as it's comparative measures you are looking for right? You want to see your week to week loss. So 5 days into a low carb week (when you're super low on water) is not a day you'd want to compare with a weigh in following a big night out where you ate a huge meal (and all that water has come back).

Personally I compare every Friday morning, on rising and after I've pointed Percy at the Porcelain.
  • CEQuick75
    Options
    I thought going Monday morning would make me more accountable for my weekend splurges. Since I tend to do well during the week, a Friday weigh-in might be lower than "normal". And as far as being under the same conditions, in the morning, after taking care of business and showering. Gotta rinse off all that heavy dirt before weighing in! :)
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey! 8 lbs is so good! I doubt it matters which day or time you weigh in ... just as long as it's consistant each week. I've just started also but thought once a week would be good. That way if things go horribly wrong I can correct myself before it's totally out of control. Have a great week!
  • CEQuick75
    Options
    Thanks :) And I see you've lost 6 - congrats! Hope we both continue in this positive direction!!