pain in shoulder while running??

Options
So I am training for a half marathon

Have been training for a little over a month....Don't know how much info may help - right now I am running 3 and 4 miles - 4 days a week - then the longer run on the weekend... i am up to 6 miles on the long run...

my question is this;

I am getting a pain in my right shoulder while running?? Am I tensing in my shoulder, posturing weird...?? When the pain starts (well really not a pain more of an ache) I try to relax as much as possible and be aware of my posture... Just wondering if anyone has had this. When I ran years ago I never got this ache, so this is new!

Any advice or help is appreciated!

Replies

• AWest0716
    AWest0716 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss!

I have had the same shoulder pain when I'm tense and not relaxed during a run. It seems to go hand in hand with my breathing as well. Try to focus on your breathing and relax your upper body. Are you doing an adequate warm up before taking off?
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    I will admit I am not real good about warming up! I do a bit of leg stretches, but I guess I should be stretching my arms and such as well!

I tend to think the first mile should be the warm up, probably not huh? ;)

Thanks!
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am getting a pain in my right shoulder while running?? (when you say shoulder, to you mean the top of the shoulder, the outside edge of the shoulder/arm?...other?) Am I tensing in my shoulder, posturing weird...?? When the pain starts (well really not a pain more of an ache) I try to relax as much as possible and be aware of my posture... Just wondering if anyone has had this. When I ran years ago I never got this ache, so this is new!

See my questions above.

If you pain is sharp, causes numbness or tingling, it's time to see a physician about this. I'm guessing it is nowhere near that type of pain because you modified your statement to refer to an "ache".

Does the ache come on slowly and build or is a a sudden ache? A slow build up in pain might be typical of damage to one or more of the four tendons that cover the shoulder joint (rotator cuff). This may occur from overstretching of the tendon.

Try some additional stretching or the entire should prior to running (it's not something we think to do, but it's needed). Try small arm circles for 20 secs rolling front, then followed by 20 seconds rolling back. Then do 20 secs of large arm circles like you are a pterodactyl (forward then back).. The combination of these varying angles and circle sizes should make sure your entire shoulder is warm prior to any running.

If you are still having troubles, ask your Dr. to recommend a Physical Therapist...they are not just for post injury recovery...but are GREAT resources for injury prevention.
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    I am getting a pain in my right shoulder while running?? (when you say shoulder, to you mean the top of the shoulder, the outside edge of the shoulder/arm?...other?) Am I tensing in my shoulder, posturing weird...?? When the pain starts (well really not a pain more of an ache) I try to relax as much as possible and be aware of my posture... Just wondering if anyone has had this. When I ran years ago I never got this ache, so this is new!

See my questions above.

If you pain is sharp, causes numbness or tingling, it's time to see a physician about this. I'm guessing it is nowhere near that type of pain because you modified your statement to refer to an "ache".

Does the ache come on slowly and build or is a a sudden ache? A slow build up in pain might be typical of damage to one or more of the four tendons that cover the shoulder joint (rotator cuff). This may occur from overstretching of the tendon.

Try some additional stretching or the entire should prior to running (it's not something we think to do, but it's needed). Try small arm circles for 20 secs rolling front, then followed by 20 seconds rolling back. Then do 20 secs of large arm circles like you are a pterodactyl (forward then back).. The combination of these varying angles and circle sizes should make sure your entire shoulder is warm prior to any running.

If you are still having troubles, ask your Dr. to recommend a Physical Therapist...they are not just for post injury recovery...but are GREAT resources for injury prevention.

Thank you so much for all the ingo... and the excersises.

The ache/pain is actually more to the back side (outside) of the shoulder - if that makes sense. I say ache more so than pain, because it starts as a sharp pain then moves quickly into an ache. I did plenty of stretching today - and it ached just a little...

thanks again for the tips...