Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Options
Is anyone out there interested in exploring an anti-inflammatory diet? If so, why? What do you hope to accomplish with it? The topic intrigues me.

Replies

• AllsmilesMom
    AllsmilesMom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of an anti-inflammatory diet. Dr. Weil's website very clearly explains it. Most autoimmune disorders are caused by inflammation, and I tend to swing toward the autoimmune - PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, GBS, Diebetes II...

I believe very strongly that we are what we eat, so I'm a pint of ice cream. But, when I eat anti-inflammatory foods I feel much better. For me, this also means we've gone gluten free, artificial flavor/color/preservatives free, and have made the focus of our eating lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, etc. One thing we haven't given up is dairy - but we have gone organic on all of our dairy products, meat products, and produce.
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    What is an anti-inflammatory diet? I have health problems that require me to take several anti-inflammatory prescriptions a day just to function but none of my doctors have ever mentioned diet changes.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's the kind of thing that takes care of itself when you eat an overall healthy diet.

As far as "inflammation causing disease," it's not really that simple. Inflammation is a response to certain diseases, but chronic inflammation can also cause disease.
  • PatrietteAz
    Options
    I am starting to get a some arthritis after so many years of heavy workouts and am getting ready to explore taking gluten and wheat out of my diet because they can cause inflammation. I didn't see anything specific to this on Dr. Weil's webpage..can someone post a direct link please? Thanks!
  • AllsmilesMom
    Options
    What health problems do you suffer?

Read up on the anti-inflammatory diet http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995/Dr-Weil-Anti-Inflammatory-Food-Pyramid.html. If you click on the pyramid, it tells you why the food is important and in what amts to eat.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Have you investigated Dr Mark Hyman's "The Blood Sugar Solution"? It's also based on anti-inflammatory effects of whole foods and avoiding gluten and dairy. You can check out free previews of his book and instructional videos....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/blood-sugar-solution-challenge_b_1337591.html
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    What health problems do you suffer?

Read up on the anti-inflammatory diet http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995/Dr-Weil-Anti-Inflammatory-Food-Pyramid.html. If you click on the pyramid, it tells you why the food is important and in what amts to eat.

^^^LOL, make sure to get in those daily supplements.
  • AllsmilesMom
    Options
    I don't know that he specifically talks about being gluten-free. Our family has been GF for 6 months with tremendous results in moods, energy, etc.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    My Chiropractor has recommended I start eating this way. The thought of no dairy makes me sad. It is pretty comparable to the "Paleo" craze. It's really nothing really crazy, just more whole foods, less processed, less sugar.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i read a book about a diet designed to prevent UC flares.

the diet looked incredibly difficult to follow. i'd rather take pills. i would be curious, however, to hear the results of anyone who has UC and has followed the diet.

the book was called breaking the vicious cycle.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome and going grain-free has helped me out tremendously. I also try to avoid sugar but sometimes am not successful with that, LOL.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    My Chiropractor has recommended I start eating this way.

This just keeps getting better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My Chiropractor has recommended I start eating this way. The thought of no dairy makes me sad. It is pretty comparable to the "Paleo" craze. It's really nothing really crazy, just more whole foods, less processed, less sugar.

At the risk of asking the obvious, why would you be consulting or taking advice regarding nutrition from a chiropractor? (it may be of interest to note that a number of jurisdictions with publicly funded health-care systems have de-listed chiropractic services from coverage in the past couple of decades)
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor also was the one who suggested I try an anti-inflammatory diet. I bought a book about it from Amazon, and am waiting for a book entitled "The Omnivore's Dilemma" that I am looking forward to reading. I know I do not have the self-control (or enough money) to eat completely in line with anti inflammatory guidelines. But I am hoping that the strides I do take will help me control my inflammation symptoms (diabetes II, arthritis). I now eat only whole grains, and a lot less grain in total than I used to. I have cut out all sodas, both sugar loaded or chemical laden artificially sweetened.

I'll talk more about this in another post when I have more time. Thanks to all who have commented so far. This is great!
  • MiniCooperDeb
    Options
    Google anti-inflammatory diet. Dr. Weil has a good site. You'll find lots of sites besides his, also. I think the concept has a lot of merit.
  • MiniCooperDeb
    Options
    Another good site.