Working Out While Sick

Options
So normally I have a bit of a suck-it-up attitude when it comes to working out when you don't feel well. However at the moment I have a really terrible cold. My nose is a faucet, and my airways are probably about half the size that they should be. Normally my workout consists of a run on the treadmill, a bit of strength training, and then killing myself on the elliptical. However, with my breathing in its current state and the fact that I have slight asthmatic tendencies, I feel like there's not much I can do cardio-wise.

I'm just wondering what people do in this situation, Do you skip your workout altogether? Skip the parts that have a big effect on your breathing? Or does someone have some suggestions for an exercise that'll get your heart going, but will keep your breathing relatively stable.

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Your body is fighting the sicknes. Youll do better to have a few days off, totally recover and then get back on it. A few days wont hurt, and will give your immune system time to focus on what it needs to do. make sure you get lots of vitamin c.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When l have been sick l just do a walk that is all and rest the body. As when you are sick you do not eat as much at all. So l do not get to up set if l do not do the cardio workout. As your body's immune system is just trying to fight the virus or cold that you have.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Your body is fighting the sicknes. Youll do better to have a few days off, totally recover and then get back on it. A few days wont hurt, and will give your immune system time to focus on what it needs to do. make sure you get lots of vitamin c.

^^^This
  • Iletitshine
    Options
    get a lot of garlic! It will help with that sickness.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I've been sick since Tuesday nite, with broncitis, flu and bad cold. I haven't done my exercises since than and it will probably be at least until Monday, even than I will start out slowly, this sickness has really kicked my butt!!!! :frown:
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I just walk slowly, about 3.0 on the treadmill no incline. If you're body feels drained don't do anything but pop some vitamin C and relax with some herbal tea
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    When I get sick, it tends to be severe, and it kills my appetite entirely. That said, I skip working out when I'm sick in order to try to get as much sleep as possible, because the body heals itself while it is sleeping.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I work out unless I have body aches. I've been sick all week. I just rode 12.5 miles in 30 MPH winds with a runny nose and what is probably an upper respiratory infection. During the week I did a couple runs, a short ride, a long ride, and yoga. (Yoga wasn't smart....downward dog with snot running out isn't pretty).

But I know I can handle it. I have always been athletic and have always worked thru it. Probably not the brightest move. But I do listen to my body and stop if it feels like I'm overworking or if my heart rate gets out of control. My mom always tells me "working out isn't what they mean when they say to sweat out a cold."

(I sub teach and in PE the kids have to participate unless they have a note from a doctor. So I figure if a 6 year old can push thru it, so can I.)

p.s.... I do it outside or at home, I ALWAYS avoid the gym when sick!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you do choose to exercise, please don't come to my gym! We don't want to share your cold. In all seriousness, you do need to take care of yourself when you are sick.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The thing is that I get the idea of taking the day off to let your body recover, but I don't actually feel sick, if that makes sense. My sinuses and airways and such are really messed up, so I'm not breathing at full function, but other than that, I feel perfectly fine. No aches, no pain, no fatigue. So I really want to go for a run, my body really wants me to go for a run, but my lungs just sort of disagree.
  • asia_hanebach
    Options
    get a lot of garlic! It will help with that sickness.

Good call! I'l have to pick up some garlic
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. You can always walk or turn around if it's too much!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick but I usually will to do some exercise - something easy. Maybe a short walk or some easy hand weights.
  • asia_hanebach
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys! Great advice from everyone!
  • mzlynnduh
    mzlynnduh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got sick about 3 days ago and I just got my period today -__- Today is my day off from work which is gym time and I was thinking should I go or not. But after the responses I'm staying home to rest maybe do some jumping jacks in my room lol.