As a diabetic, what do you track in your diary?

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes but I have not started my classes yet. I will start them at the beginning of April. I have been doing some research on things I need to keep track of of but MFP does allow me to track everything I want to track. So as a I diabetic, what are you tracking? Carbs? Sugars? Fiber? Cholesterol? I am sure I will get some more information as I start taking my classes but I figured I would try to get things under control.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    What do you need to track that it doesn't have?
  • SherryRH
    Options
    I am currently tracking, proteins, fats, carbs, fiber and cholesterol. I wanted to add sugar but if I do, I have to get rid of something since we can only track 5 things at one time.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. I track protein, carbs, fiber, sodium. For me that's all I need.
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Sodium.
  • alie5612
    alie5612 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. I track protein, carbs, fiber, sodium. For me that's all I need.

same i am type 1 too and track these
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    As a Type 2 diabetic, I track calories, carbs, sodium and sugar. My diary is open to friends only, so feel free to add me if you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    HI, what type are you 1 or 2? I am type 2 and I just keep track of my carbs, proteins and fats. I have sugars in there but I dont focus much on them.. I can say this, ever since Ive been exercising and tracking my meals My glucose levels have been down in the 90's range. Im on 1500mg's a day on metformin. How much do you have to take?..
    Friend me if you'd like, I keep an open food diary and you can observe it for reference for yourself.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic and I track calories, fat, sodium, sugar, and carbs. Sugar and sodium are the ones I watch the most since I also have high blood pressure.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    caloriess, carbs and sugar are good macronutrients for a diabetic to see on a daily basis. I also suggest displaying saturated fat and either sodium or cholesterol because diabetes puts you at an increased risk for heart disease.

Before you go to classes, I suggest you print out several weeks of your food diary (some good days, some bad days, some average days). In the notes section, if you are already monitoring blood glucose or taking insulin, make a note of your test results and dosages so you can begin to see how nutritional choices affect your blood sugar.

The printed diaries show all macronutrients / vitamins whereas the on screen display only shows 5 macronutrients plus Calories.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    HI, what type are you 1 or 2? I am type 2 and I just keep track of my carbs, proteins and fats. I have sugars in there but I dont focus much on them.. I can say this, ever since Ive been exercising and tracking my meals My glucose levels have been down in the 90's range. Im on 1500mg's a day on metformin. How much do you have to take?..
    Friend me if you'd like, I keep an open food diary and you can observe it for reference for yourself.

I am not sure if it is 1 or 2. While I am only 5'2" and weigh 140lbs, I don't think I am obese. I do think I could lose 20lbs. LOL Diabetes runs in my family. Mom, Dad and Uncle have it.

I am currently not monitoring anything or taking anything. My doctor said to watch what I eat, cut back on the refined sugars and exercise a little more. He will see me in about a month. I am guessing when I start the classes they will go over monitoring my glucose on a daily basis and other things. I only know my numbers from my tests - My A1C was 9% and my glucose was at 201 on a 14 hour fast.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    caloriess, carbs and sugar are good macronutrients for a diabetic to see on a daily basis. I also suggest displaying saturated fat and either sodium or cholesterol because diabetes puts you at an increased risk for heart disease.

I had heard about the heart disease corralation too. My mom has diabetes and has congestive heart failure. It is not a pretty sight and it is something I want to avoid with my own health.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I track Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Sodium.

this is what I track minus the fiber. My diabetes goes hand in hand with my high blood pressure (and my weight obviously) so I have a lower carb/cal diet and purchase lower sodium everything
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    carbs, protein, sugar, fat and sodium.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Type 2 - i track calories, fat, protein, carbs and fiber. I don't track sugars separately, just as part of carbs, but i do track fiber separately. I don't track sodium because I'm eating primarily unprocessed food, don't add salt and don't have high BP.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I am currently tracking, proteins, fats, carbs, fiber and cholesterol. I wanted to add sugar but if I do, I have to get rid of something since we can only track 5 things at one time.
    Personally, I'd drop cholesterol in favour of sugars, as the link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is variously disproven and weak, depending on which study you use.

Are you aware though that the smartphone app (certainly the Android one) allows you to track sixteen nutrients, including things like trans fats, calcium and iron. If you can afford a basic smartphone, it certainly makes logging far easier, especially as you can simply scan a barcode to enter food items!
  • JoansPlan
    Options
    I track Carbs, Proteins, Cholestrol, Fat and sugar. I am tracking for diabetes as well, as recently found out my levels are high. The doctor said to track my carbs and sugars, and to eat more protien and fruit.
  • shaeni1221
    Options
    I am not sure if it is 1 or 2. While I am only 5'2" and weigh 140lbs, I don't think I am obese. I do think I could lose 20lbs. LOL Diabetes runs in my family. Mom, Dad and Uncle have it.

I am currently not monitoring anything or taking anything. My doctor said to watch what I eat, cut back on the refined sugars and exercise a little more. He will see me in about a month. I am guessing when I start the classes they will go over monitoring my glucose on a daily basis and other things. I only know my numbers from my tests - My A1C was 9% and my glucose was at 201 on a 14 hour fast.

Type 1 is insulin dependent. Type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise and oral medications if needed.
  • SherryRH
    Options

Type 1 is insulin dependent. Type 2 can be controlled with diet and exercise and oral medications if needed.

I am guessing I am type 2 since I have never had a problem or been diagnosed until recently.
  • shaeni1221
    Options
    yes, it sounds to me as if you are type 2