What kind of Exercise routine do most people use?

Options
Just wanted to know how many people choose a gym vs. working out at home? I live pretty far out from most of the gyms in my area and with my work schedule I am not able to usually get to a gym so I mostly opt for working out at home. But does that seem to be as effective as an actual gym? :huh:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym.

The best choice for you is whatever you can stick to and gives you results.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    depends on what you want to do, what equipment you have, your goals, and types of workouts you enjoy etc.

I workout at home doing DVDs (P90X, P90X2, Chalene Extreme, Rushfit)

However, I also have equipment at home, I have purchased a bit at a time here and there. Including a pull up bar, dumbbells, and a tread climber. I also have a stand up Wave runner Punching/Body bag, and a speed bag.

So yes, in my case it IS as effective as working out at the gym. :)

But if I did not have any equipment, and did not want to purchase any, and wanted the same type of results that equipment provides - I would need a gym.

There are many DVDs that can be done with minimal equipment, however for the results I personally want, they would not work for my needs.

But your goals and mine may not be the same. :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, but I also have a treadmill and spin bike at home. But I know plenty of people who use the Wii, DVD's, get outside for walks/runs, etc, and do just fine. It's really up the individual, so just do what you can afford and what youare comfortable with.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work out at home also. I have a bike that I ride when it's nice out, and a stationary exercise bike for when I'm feeling lazy or the weather is bad. I also like to turn on Pandora and dance my heart out. (:

We have a lot of DVDs too. I've been doing 30 day shred which is super easy to do at home.
  • zundel93
    zundel93 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started in late January and I was working out at home but i only lost 5 lbs and was at a stand still for about 3 weeks. So then I started going to the gym last week and I started losing again. I think you can do some at home but maybe try and shoot over to a gym 1 or 2 times a week so that way you can you other equipment to help give you different results your equipment at home can't give you.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I worked out at home walking on the treadmill. Once I was consistent in that, I decided to join a gym that's within walking distance of my house. I now do cardio 6 days a week (either on a machine at the gym or on my treadmill at home, depending on how crazy the day was), and I've just started doing some strength training with a personal trainer.
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Zumba, Step, Treadmill and Strength Trainging with light weights
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    My husband and I both work out at home. We invested money into weights, weight bench, pullup bar, bands. I also have a treadmill. I run 3-4 times a week, outside when it's nice, treadmill when it's too cold or my son is napping and I just can't get out. We also have several DVDs like P90X, P90X2, Chalean Extreme, Jillian Michaels, etc. I'm so glad I can work out at home but it does take discipline.
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options
    Monday 12th march

Day 2 Lvl 1 30DS. *done*
    Zumba 60 mins

Tuesday 13th march

Cardio workout kinect 30 mins
    Day 3 Lvl 1 30DS 

Wednesday 14th march

Day 4 Lvl 1  30DS
    Zumba 60 mins

Thursday 15th march

Day 5 Lvl 1 30DS 

Friday 16th march 

Cardio workout kinect 30mins
    Day 6 Lvl 1 30DS

Saturday 17th march

Day 7 Lvl 1 30DS

Sunday 18th march

Day 8 Lvl 1 30DS 
  • zwharris05
    Options
    Thanks! I have an elliptical machine and a mini stair stepper with the resistance bands. I also have a P90X DVD but I don't know if I am up for that much intensity yet(maybe 1 or 2 times a week). I have thought about getting up in the mornings before work and walk/jog to help get my day going.
  • clarispent
    clarispent Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do both, but mostly the gym. I get bored easily, so I do zumba, bodypump, x-co, bodycombat, pilates, yoga, circuit training. Lots of variety. Last week I played soccer and basketball for the first time. That's the most sore I've EVER been!

If I'm at home and can't make the gym for some reason, I use a lot of the videos sold on beachbody.com. I kind of do what I'm in the mood for, though I know I need to add more strength training to my routine.

If I didn't live conveniently close to my gym, I'd never go. But it depends on the person. I do believe you can be just as successful working out at home. :)
  • clarispent
    clarispent Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Working out in the morning always gave me more energy throughout the day. Definitely give it a try!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, and in the great outdoors.

I can't stand gyms. So full of...gym people. :tongue:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Just find what works for you there's no right or wrong exercise just doing some is great!

I mix up the following:
    Gym cardio (elliptical, treadmill, rower, step machine thingy)
    Swimming
    Walking
    Yoga
    DVDs at home but not so much any more in preference to attending classes.
    Running (outside)
    * Forgot to add gym weight/strength training!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Treadmill and workout DVD's for cardio and for strength training I usually DVR Body Electric and work out to it 5-6 days a week or sometimes mix it up with a DVD of some kind.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I do both. Depends on the day and my mood. Thankfully, I work at the Y as a swim coach so I just work out before/after practice. I get free membership too :)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, but I am lucky enough at this point to have a dedicated weight/exercise room in my basement. However, I spent years exercising in the living room of an apartment with a few hand weights and was thinner and healthier (and younger :ohwell: ) then than I am now. And, I do work out more because it's not an effort to get there and my own shower is only a few feet away!

It's not where you exercise that's important, it's what you're doing and how much effort you're putting into it.

Good luck!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I started out working out at the gym mostly on the cardio machines and a little strength training. But now I do mostly at home dvds (Zumba wii, ChaLean Extreme, Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and walking). I prefer at home and get in very intense workouts. I did get adjustable Powerblock weights recently. I also prefer the mornings -- it tends to set the tone for my whole day. I still go to the gym to use the Arc Trainer but it is just in the rotation with all my other cardio stuff. Like someone says, the best exercise for you, is the one you will do.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I have alot of DVDs (Cathe Friedrich, Turbofire, Jeanette Jenkins, Michelle Dozois, and a few others) and I also have alot of equipment (dumbbells, barbell, boxing bag, elliptical, resistance bands, step bench, and some other stuff). I have everything I need to get an effective workout at home. The DVDs I have provide alot of variety in the type and intensity of the workouts I do. I have step aerobics, floor aerobics, kickboxing, boxing, strength training, and plyometrics workouts done in different formats such as interval training, circuit training, steady-state cardio, bootcamp, strength only, and HIIT. I workout in the morning before work since I don't have much time after work.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you. I love working out at home. Saves time. I just started the 30day shred by Jillian Michaels. Love it. Only 20minutes daily.