Help! My ankle is sprained and I don't want to gain pounds..

Options
Are there any cardio exercises I can do that will be low impact on my ankle? Better yet, no impact?

I sprained my ankle 2 1/2 weeks ago. It's feeling better, I can hobble around without the use of crutches, and when I tape it with athletic tape it feels pretty good & stable.

I'm going to have to steer clear of the treadmill for the next 3-4 weeks.

I need cardio! What can I do?

Replies

• juleswa
    juleswa Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do the stationary bike and make sure to train on a hill or random program. You can swim because that is non-weight bearing activity. If you're not sure about how to make sure you are getting your heart rate up enough there are swim coaches who can help you.

Hope some of these tips help!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    When i was in high school this happened to me mid-soccer season, so of course I was torn up about it. I know you're probably in a lot of pain. I didn't do any cardio, but I did do some weight training to just keep me in the groove in the things. I also did lots of yoga/pilates based exercises that I could do without my right leg. I think just keeping up with any kind of exercise helped me stay on track, so it was easier to start walking and running when I was all healed up. If you're on crutches, just moving around on those is better exercise than nothing. I hope you feel better soon!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Your gym might have a handbike?

Also - rowing machine, lifting weights ( seated ) ( and feel free to do light weights for a whole lot of reps, get your heart up )

And crutch around like a mad person if you're on crutches.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Swimming or aqua jogging. The latter is more of a workout than you'd think.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe try swimming? You might not be able to push off the wall with that leg, but the water will support your ankle. You can even grab a pull buoy (it is a foamy thing you put between your legs) that stabilizes your legs so you don't even have to kick. Most pools have them available for you to use.
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Boxing.... awesome cardio and almost completely upper body!
  • dmtriceri
    Options
    besides just swimming there's water areobics and they burn a ton of calories. my local gym just started offering water zumba. so don't think you just have to churn out the laps in the pool.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay at your caloric intake on MFP you will lose your goal amount of weight. You can eat all the way up to maintenance without gaining. MFP is designed for you to lose weight with no exercise, which is why it adds more calories back in when you do exercise.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a leg cast with a fractured foot. I haven't really been able to do cardio, but I've been doing core exercise and strength training (upper body). I wouldn't force putting pressure on it. You could make it worse. Swimming is good if it's available to you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay at your caloric intake on MFP you will lose your goal amount of weight. You can eat all the way up to maintenance without gaining. MFP is designed for you to lose weight with no exercise, which is why it adds more calories back in when you do exercise.

Exactly. Eat better and it doesn't matter. You gain because your diet is out of whack, not because you aren't/can't exercise.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I bust the meniscus in my knee the day before xmas - only had surgery last week, so another 5 weeks before I can get back to full on training.....

I could / can do the stationary bike, rowing machine, xtrainer - as well as kettlebell work outs - lots of swings etc at least got my HR up - and I still did full on arms and shoulders weight workouts........

And yes - agree with Jackson - I was very careful with how / what I ate - I just said "no excuses"!!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a leg cast with a fractured foot. I haven't really been able to do cardio, but I've been doing core exercise and strength training (upper body). I wouldn't force putting pressure on it. You could make it worse. Swimming is good if it's available to you.

Oh and I've really tried to watch my diet/caloric intake. I've managed to lose a few lbs. At the very least I've been trying to maintain.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

That's what I was going to say.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Boxing (without any or too much kicking, obviously).
    Elliptical might work for you.
    Upper body strength training you can do standing or sitting.
    Ab work - standing or on the ground.
    Planks... omg... planks. You can step one foot up and back at a time, quickly - or just hold the plank if moving is too hard on your ankle.

To increase your heart rate more while strength training, lower the weight, increase the reps, and do the reps faster. Just about anything can get your heart rate up, if you're working at it hard enough!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i sprained my ankle a few times when i played rugby. you'd be surprised how many things require you to move or be flexible in your ankle joint (including biking and rowing). i pretty much took my workouts to the pool, especially using that buoy thing that you hold between your legs so you're just working on your upper body.

the krankcycle (where you just pedal with your arms ) also is good.

and you can also increase your weight training time since weight training is also somewhat cardio. for the lower body stuff, i'd only use machines since those were the only way i could keep from putting weight on my ankle and still work out those muscles.
  • ckerrcanchaser
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you, I have a broken foot and a sprained ankle!! I don't have a pool by my house so I can't swim but I actually do a lot of cardio! I workout for about an hour and 15 mins 6 days out of the week. I do 30 mins of stationary bicycling (I've noticed it works more your thighs and knees instead of ankles), a tiny bit of pilates (I use my knees instead of my feet for planking) and a lot of aerobics! I'm have an account of Pinterest and they have a lot of workout ideas where you can be sitting down or be on your back. If you're interested in some moves i can post them on here :happy:
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    Are there any cardio exercises I can do that will be low impact on my ankle? Better yet, no impact?

I sprained my ankle 2 1/2 weeks ago. It's feeling better, I can hobble around without the use of crutches, and when I tape it with athletic tape it feels pretty good & stable.

I'm going to have to steer clear of the treadmill for the next 3-4 weeks.

I need cardio! What can I do?

water arobics!!!!
  • vieilleame
    vieilleame Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of your responses! They are super helpful!!

I've been eating the correct amount of calories, but I've really been wanting to exercise. I got back into my routine for a week and over the weekend I sprained my ankle because I tripped while wearing 5 inch heels. No fun.

But once again, thanks! I'm feeling more optimistic about my situation already!!! :)
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Joe Frazier would shudder to hear boxing referred to as "upper body." If it's done standing the ankle will be tested, and boxing is no exception. That said you can work a speed bag with little or no impact to an ankle. Heavily taped the ankle could be spared punching a heavy bag but I'd find another way.

Other than the pool or lie-down pilates there's a screwy machine called the upperbody ergometer that's like a bicycle that you sit at and pedal with your hands out at shoulder height. The caloric burn is limited to the size of the muscles used to move and since the arms are significantly smaller than the legs it's difficult to get a good calorie burn using the arms alone. I'd link a pic but I bet this bot moderator strips them or will cut my post as spam.

I second what a previous poster suggested, eat less and by intake alone you can meet your MFP goals and continue fat loss. If cardio is all you're missing two weeks off won't set your aerobic capacity too much. Strength might actually benefit from some well-needed rest. We tend to work our muscles too frequently anyway.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I took pretty much the entire month of January off from all logging and exercise while recovering from a stress fracture, and gained at most one whole pound.