Veggie Ideas

Options
I am very new to preparing fresh/frozen veggies in a low fat way.

A friend told me to put mrs dash and lemon juice on steamed broccolli, and it was ok.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I steam broccoli with some soy sauce drizzled on it, I've always really liked that.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a trader joes near you, but I'm telling you... the BEST frozen veggies hands down are their Beans so Green - I love it and they're already seasoned so you don't have to do any of the work :wink:
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I like to roast my broccoli, drizzle some olive oil over it, salt and pepper to taste, some garlic. Nomnom :wink:
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    try a little parmesan cheese!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I buy those Green Giant already seasoned veggies. They are really good and I never have to add anything to them.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I really like to roast my veg - zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower are all delicious roasted! Can't wait for the weather to improve enough for grilling
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Toss your favorite veggies with a little bit (maybe 1 TB for a lot of veggies....just need a very light coating) of olive oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt and roast them at 400 for 20 minutes. I love making green beans and tomatoes this way.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like to roast my broccoli, drizzle some olive oil over it, salt and pepper to taste, some garlic. Nomnom :wink:

Man that sounds good! I'm going to have to try that.
  • bluekat61
    bluekat61 Posts: 24
    Options
    My favorite is roasting veggies. Roast Cauliflower tossed in a little olive oil salt, pepper and curry powder. Roasted asparagus sprinkled with lemon juice and sesame seeds, roasted sweet potatoes tossed with a little tamari sauce & maple syprup sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, Roasted parsnips, carrots, zuchinni, and peppers ...:tongue:
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great ideas!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I can eat veggies with nothing, but the boyfriend cannot. He uses the Parkay Spray Butter (0 calories) and some garlic salt typically.
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    I change it up but a good stand by that works for all veggies is salt, pepper, garlic tossed with olive oil and roasted.

Broccoli is good roasted with some parmesan cheese. I use different seasonings that I have, that are similar to Mrs Dash, to change things up.
  • dma1988
    dma1988 Posts: 7
    Options
    I love to roast vegetables, especially carrots. I try to use as little EVOO as possible, but here's a sample recipe:

Shake 2 lbs baby carrots + 2 T olive oil + 1 T balsamic in large ziploc bag. Roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.

I usually have to roast them for closer to 45 minutes or so. I just stir them every 20 minutes and take them out when they are getting tender.

You can do this with anything, like cubed sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli, grape tomatoes, redskin potatoes, red onions, etc.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I steam bok choy and broccoli with a little bit of soya sauce...

Or I grill up peppers, onion, broccoli, and any other veggie you want to eat....put a little bit of balsamic vinegar and slather it in garlic! Mmm.....
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just started roasting fresh broccoli in the oven and I love it! Warning, you may never want to eat frozen broccoli again.
  • itsall4younow
    Options
    I love most veggies roasted in the oven or grilled with a little evoo, salt and pepper.

I also love mashed califlower - its very similar to mashed potatoes! I mix it with a litte bit of milk, butter and garlic or cheese. Great bang for your calories :smile:
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Steamed green beans tossed in a little olive oil & crushed garlic.

Roasted Butternut Squash, bell peppers, courgettes, onions.....the list is endless!

Stuffed aubergines, cut in half lengthways, scoop out the middle. Roast the shell with a little one cal spray for 15 minutes. Chop the middle and fry gently in a pan with anything else you may have including garlic. Take the shell out of the oven and fill with the mixture you've made in the frying pan, add a little light cheese and put back in the oven to roast again for 10-15 minutes. Very low cal, low fat and very very tasty.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I really like to roast my veg - zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower are all delicious roasted! Can't wait for the weather to improve enough for grilling

This exactly. First time I tried roasted veggies I wasn't sure I'd like them. Yummy! Grilled asparagus is to die for.
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    My favorite is roasting veggies. Roast Cauliflower tossed in a little olive oil salt, pepper and curry powder. Roasted asparagus sprinkled with lemon juice and sesame seeds, roasted sweet potatoes tossed with a little tamari sauce & maple syprup sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, Roasted parsnips, carrots, zuchinni, and peppers ...:tongue:
    ^^ I love these ideas too!

Also, since you mentioned frozen veggies, I love to make Cauliflower mashies with the frozen cauliflower. It's a recipe adapted from Atkins, but just as good as mashed potatoes or better!
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Also, since you mentioned frozen veggies, I love to make Cauliflower mashies with the frozen cauliflower. It's a recipe adapted from Atkins, but just as good as mashed potatoes or better!

I've heard about this so many times but never been able to get a good recipe for it... Do you have one? I've never really liked cauliflower but I feel like this is something I would like, or would at least like to try.