Sciatica Pain

Options
2012asv
2012asv Posts: 702 Member
Every couple months or so my sciatica begins acting up to the point where I'm literally disabled. Today is one of those days- I feel like crying out with pain with every step I manage to take... I've been trying to exercise that area but it doesn't seem to be working... Even meds. aren't working.

Does anyone have any recommendations on exercises or stretches that have worked for you? I'm desperate.

Replies

• MichCB
    MichCB Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I feel for you as I too have suffered from Sciatica pain off and on over the last year, at least the past 3 months I have only mild symptoms (if any) and I contribute this to every morning as soon as I get out of bed I spend about 15 minutes doing Pilates type exercises and stretches. I've also modified my sports and activities to not fully extend that area of my left butt/hammie e.g. When I take the dog for a walk, we used to have a few sprints through the parks that we went through, I am tall so have a long stride, now I take shorter strides and don't sprint, more of a fast jog now. Even when I do feel a little twinge, like yesterday when I started out on my walk, once I get going and and warmed up, I don't feel it. Try to keep exercising, just vary it up and see what works for you without causing you too much pain. Have the mind set that you won't let it hinder your life,
    About 6 months ago, I went to a Chiropractor to try & get rid of this pain once and for all, after 10 visits, still no relief. Then tried a couple of remedial massage sessions - that was too painful.
    Google "sciatica" if you haven't already and read up on different ideas on exercises etc.
    One last thing, use a heated wheatbag or hot water bottle on the area when you are lying down or sitting, that should help.
    Any long term pain is not nice to live with, you just have to adapt your life to minimize it and get back to enjoying life.
    Take care & good luck :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The best solution ever for me is a visit to a therapeutic massage therapist, not just for a relaxing massage but someone trained in deep tissue work, thai massage, or something that is more on a medical term not just massage therapy.

Best stretch I've found, sitting on an exercise ball, putting your calf bent rt angle on your opposite knee and bend forward to touch toes over the top of your bent leg.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I used to get serious bouts of it, and sometimes still do. The best thing I did was to go to a physical therapy clinic. The PT had me lay flat on my back, and it turned out that one leg was longer than the other. He did a couple of moves on me...and all of a sudden my pain was gone and both legs were the same length! It was amazing. He showed my son how to "fix" me at home, and so when it acts up every once in a while, we do the therapy moves and I am back to normal.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Every couple months or so my sciatica begins acting up to the point where I'm literally disabled. Today is one of those days- I feel like crying out with pain with every step I manage to take... I've been trying to exercise that area but it doesn't seem to be working... Even meds. aren't working.

Does anyone have any recommendations on exercises or stretches that have worked for you? I'm desperate.

I have the same problem and unfortunately when it flares up it's just too painful to do anything. My doctor advised me to go to physiotherapy so perhaps you could give that a shot.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    These are two stretches that have helped me the most. It's a little painful while you're doing them, but it really relieves the pressure that's causing the pain.

lower-back-stretches1.jpg

13004256300x300.jpg
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had horrible sciatic pain when pregnant with my first. In my 8th month, someone told me about the Snoogle Pregnancy Pillow. I bought that thing and started sleeping with it at night. All pain went away. I am a side sleeper and apparently, my back/hips/knees were poorly aligned, putting pressure on the nerve at night. This translated into a lot of pain during the day. Once I used the pillow, it was like night and day.

I used the pillow through the other pregnancies too and the sciatic pain was minimal. I still adore that thing. Best $50 I ever spent.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience here, don't wait around with it. When it's that bad it's not going to go away by itself. Chances are you have a fully herniated disc. You need an X ray or MRI and your doc will determine whether surgery needs to be done from there.

I tried to "stretch" my sciatica away for 6 years. Some days it was so bad I'd drive to work with my eyes squeezed shut in pain and a frozen water bottle stuffed under my leg. Then one day I way cleaning up and bam, it blew out on me. I was on the floor and out of work for 8 weeks while waiting for surgery to fix it. Couldn't stand, couldn't walk, had to crawl on my belly to the bathroom and haul myself up onto the toilet when I needed it.

After surgery my pain was gone. Unfortunately so was all the feeling in my left leg... the doc said this was because I had waited on it so long that the nerve had gotten damaged. He also said I was lucky - much longer and I could have ended up in a wheelchair, or with a colostromy bag (yes, sciatic pressure can cause those things)

If your disc is fully herniated no amount of stretching or any of those other quack job physical therapy remedies like ultrasound are going to help it. Go to your doc, get it MRI'ed and go from there.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the one that works best for me is to lie down on your front, put your hands by your shoulds and lift into a sort of half press-up, but keeping your pelvis on the ground. This really stretches out your lower back. And if you feel it coming on again later repeat the motion standing up, this acts as a small reliever without having to get down on the floor.

Oh and Tramadol. Tis a girl's best friend!
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience here, don't wait around with it. When it's that bad it's not going to go away by itself. Chances are you have a fully herniated disc. You need an X ray or MRI and your doc will determine whether surgery needs to be done from there.

I tried to "stretch" my sciatica away for 6 years. Some days it was so bad I'd drive to work with my eyes squeezed shut in pain and a frozen water bottle stuffed under my leg. Then one day I way cleaning up and bam, it blew out on me. I was on the floor and out of work for 8 weeks while waiting for surgery to fix it. Couldn't stand, couldn't walk, had to crawl on my belly to the bathroom and haul myself up onto the toilet when I needed it.

After surgery my pain was gone. Unfortunately so was all the feeling in my left leg... the doc said this was because I had waited on it so long that the nerve had gotten damaged. He also said I was lucky - much longer and I could have ended up in a wheelchair, or with a colostromy bag (yes, sciatic pressure can cause those things)

If your disc is fully herniated no amount of stretching or any of those other quack job physical therapy remedies like ultrasound are going to help it. Go to your doc, get it MRI'ed and go from there.

just to add though, this is your personal experience. I get sciatica on and off and have done for 3 years, but mine is due to bad posture. I get less and less flare-ups now thanks to regular stretching and exercises and the occasional Pilates class. Surgery isn't the cure for everything so I wouldn't go to a doc demanding it, get an MRI done first and see if that shows any disc problems.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    Also, if you have an office job, ask your boss to buy you a kneeling chair like one of these:

wing-kneeling-chair-large.jpg

If they won't buy you one, buy one yourself. Your back will thank you for it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    just to add though, this is your personal experience. I get sciatica on and off and have done for 3 years, but mine is due to bad posture. I get less and less flare-ups now thanks to regular stretching and exercises and the occasional Pilates class. Surgery isn't the cure for everything so I wouldn't go to a doc demanding it, get an MRI done first and see if that shows any disc problems.

I didn't tell her to demand surgery. I told her to go to the doc, get an MRI and go from there.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have had sciatica problems as well. The worse occurring once my job required me to wear steel toed boots. I went to see a chiropractor. This helped me through that time and others bouts of sciatic pain but no cure. I have found that bi-monthly massages help me the best otherwise I spend a ridiculous amount of money at the chiropractor even with insurance. Each person is DIFFERENT, so I would recommend going to a doctor and a massage therapist. In addition, try ice for 15 minutes. If the pain RADIATES down your leg it is imperative you see a doctor IMMEDIATELY. Also stay away from soft couches, no leaning forward i.e. sit straight up and when in bed lay on your back with a pillow under your knees.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel your pain! After a back injury in 2003 I lived with daily pain for five years due to herniated discs...I tried physical therapy at a couple different places, chiropractor sessions, sports medicine visits, and a daily regimen of muscle relaxers, ibuprofen and various pain killers (wouldn't recommend the high doses they had me taking). Eventually it got so bad that I couldn't walk to the cafeteria at work so I couldn't have lunch, and one morning I just couldn't get up to go to work. Long story short I finally had surgery in July 2008 (discectomy on L4/L5 and L5/S1). Since then I've had virtually no problems, and I can now work out--HARD--every day. Sciatic pain runs in my family, and swimming (even just walking laps in the pool) seems to have helped them, and it was ok for me occasionally...but there's a certain point where you need to see a good neurosurgeon to evaluate your options. Herniated/bulging/etc. discs don't usually go away on their own. I pray it doesn't come down to that for you!
  • tg1975
    tg1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Again speaking from personal experience. If its really that bad, you should go to your doctor get some decent painkillers, ask them arrange an MRI scan and if it shows a physical reason for the pain (like a bulging disc) consider getting surgery.

Like cgwatson I tried to stretch, exercise, pilates and physio my sciatica for a number of years before going down the surgical route. I felt better than I had in years in the recovery room, was walking by the end of the day and a month later have just gone for my first run for nearly 6 months. And I also lost the feeling in my leg, but its coming back now.

As an aside, it was my weight pre-op that made me realise enough was enough and I found this website while I was recovering.
  • merimeaux
    Options

I didn't tell her to demand surgery. I told her to go to the doc, get an MRI and go from there.

^ completely agree with this...an MRI will let you know where you stand!
  • tg1975
    Options
    Also amitriptyline, its an anti-depressant but a small dose at night really helps with nerve pain.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Options
    @Merimeaux - L4/L5, L5/S1 club! :drinker:
  • tg1975
    Options
    L4/5 L5/S1 too!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I have a few stretches and then highly recommend you see an Osteopath that does manipulation. After they get you all corrected you won't have those lock ups for years. Mine is due to short leg on one side. it has gone far enough to even lock up my jaw because I was so mis-aligned after an accident. One thing that is the worst thing you can do is lean forward. Do the opposite. If you get into a lunge position then lean back, make sure not to fall. Often we women build a ton of tension around our pelvic muscles that cause our pelvic to tilt and causes more pain. The other one that really helps is to stand straight in front of a table to something that is hip height. Pull up on leg onto the table as if just that leg was sitting indian style. I often have to bend at the knee at my straight leg to get more pull on my raised leg. When you're in a lot of pain, you may need to do this one often to get those muscles to finally let go. Let me know if these help or there are more stretches you can do if you have a partner.
  • merimeaux
    Options
    @Merimeaux - L4/L5, L5/S1 club! :drinker:

Represent! haha :)