Constipation?

Options
I have been gradually increasing the amount of fibre in my diet but just recently find I'm a little bunged up. I drink plenty and the foods I eat are mostly fruits and veggies so are full of water.

The amount of fibre I am eating is not excessive in any way, maybe 18g a day at the moment, sometimes more.

Any tips on what to do other than drinking more water to help in the toilet department?

Replies

• kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Try some warm liquid like coffee or water with lemon. The warmth helps get things moving. If that does not work try a couple of prunes, the newer brand I think "sweet ones" are very good.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Try some magnesium.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Take a stool softener or warm prune juice works wonders.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I like prunes so will get some of those to try.
  • Cupcake596
    Options
    BUMP! Ive been suffering really bad as of late as well. SO also would like to know a cure! x
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    peaches, pears, prunes or a spoon full of KARO. they sell it at any supermarket.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful. The iron in my vitamin will bind me up. I have to have the iron though. I have low iron:(. Dumb body. Next stop for me is back to prescription iron pills. YUCK!

Sorry got off track. Track your iron if possible too. Could be the issue.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try the cherry essence prunes. They're the best.
  • m0nlca
    m0nlca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Colace has been working for me...very gentle on the stomach as well.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My iron intake is not bad, in fact I get some blood test results on Wednesday as my GP thinks I may be anaemic. I never knew it could cause constipation if you have too much though. THANKS.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Mix some Metamucil in your water.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I take Metamucil. It's helped me a lotttttttttt. lol
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have problems with iron causing constipation, so keep an eye on that. I used to take fish oil WITH my iron supplement. You could try fish oil, prunes (I really like the cherry essence prunes) and sometimes....I just eat something like regular Activia (not the fiber plus/cereal kind) or regular yogurt.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. :(
  • Hollsjazzy
    Hollsjazzy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try adding Flax seed or flaxseed oil to your diet
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eventually turned to a dulcolax.... Sometimes (esp around "this time" of the month... things get all screwy for me).
  • pamary
    pamary Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try some magnesium.

Magnesium is the best choice - just not too much!:smile:
  • tonihayden
    Options
    prunes are really good and also there is a produxt called miralax or dulcolax balance. They are both stool softners w/o any stimulants and are odor and taste free, i myself have used both but prefer prunes or even apple juice. The stool softners are really a good maintenance supplement to use daily to stay regular if you have chronic constipation....I work for a group of gastroenterologists and we recommend both products to all of our patients. Good luck....I know how uncomfortable this can make you feel.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee with 2% milk will do it for me every time.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem as was considering some laxatives,

but i started taking the green tea extract capsules and the problem ended there.

It might have been a coincident but i don't care as long as i can go...