Anyone have this problem?

Options
I'm not sure if it's so much a "problem" bu ta conundrum....when I tell people I'm trying to lose 30 - 35 lbs, they say "Where?? You do NOT need to lose that much!". I'm tall and fairly muscular (under all the fat) so I can carry extra weight easier than most people. Don't get me wrong, I definately don't mind hearing that, but they also don't realize that I weigh over 200 lbs. And when I tell them that, they don't believe me.

My husband continuously tells me I have a hot body, etc. Trust me...I'm loving it! LOL :blushing:

Unfortunately this usually makes my motivation go down. I start thinking "well...if everyone thinks I look so good, why go through the effort"?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate! My highest weight was 188 at 5'2". I lost 3 pounds before MFP so when I tell people I have lost almost 50 pounds they freak out! They always say then never ever thought I had that much to lose. Oh honey, I sure did! Still could stand to lose a few more :)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Been there, and yes it is very frustrating. I've learned that sometimes it's best to just keep my goals to myself. I know what I need to do for me and that's what I need to focus on. Too many, ahem...outside opinions...can cuz you to lose sight of YOUR goals. So I say just do what you gotta do for YOU and don't share it with anyone else, unless you know they will understand where you want to be. :flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I get stuff like that alot.... When I started this I just had my second son and weighed like 184lbs...People would say your not a size 16...but I was... And people would tell me not to loose the amount I wanted too because I would loose my shape(I know better)... I am now sitting currently at 149lbs and I am still wanting to loose another 19lbs .

You have to do this for you. If you feel comfortable at your weigh cool if not only you can choose it :) good luck
  • abigailrschwartz
    abigailrschwartz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do too....I'm not crazy overweight, but I should loose some extra pounds. But my family and friends all say I look fine. Of course I look fine to them, but I don't feel fine to me. I guess I just remember I am in it to be healthier, not be a super model.
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you are doing this for YOU... not for anyone else! Keep up the good work!
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I can relate! When friends ask where I would like to end up and I tell them 145, they say I can't weigh much more than that now. Or if I tell them I'm looking to lose 30 they say 'from where?!?.' Trust me, I HAVE an extra 30 lbs (20 now)...clothing can disguise a LOT! Only I know how I feel (that I need to lose some of this tub and tone up) and only I (ok and my husband) know what I look like in the buff or in that dreaded swim suit. I appreciate their comments, but I have to do this for me and so I can take my girls to the pool and not feel so bad about myself.

Like other posters have said, you are doing this for YOU and how YOU feel. No one knows what you need on this front better than yourself. Great topic, keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm still over 200 also at 5'10...it is easier to hide to weight. I still wear a loose 18 and would love all my 12's to fit again!! Anytime I say anything people act all crazy...there's no way you could weigh that or loose that much. Well, if I could weigh 155 12 years ago..I can weigh 170 now!!!

Good luck to you...it's NOT easy but it is fun (the feeling better part)!!!

My trick has been to not tell anyone this time around....so when people notice that I see on a regular basis I know it's working!!