Anyone else NOT on a diet?

Options
People ask me what diet I'm on, I always say I'm not. I'm just eating like I should have been. I eat waaaaay more salads and still eat what I want, just in smaller portions and I stay away from junk food. If I have pasta, bread, curry or whatever, it's no big deal. I just eat a smaller portion with some salad and have no problem losing weight with my exercise.

I just noticed (coming from a Mountain Dew junkie) that I can not have soda anymore, period. If I do, I end up with the worst stomach cramps and in the bathroom within hours. It's good but at the same time, I would like to splurge a little when I go out to eat (which is rare anyway). Oh well, my body has had enough and tells me no more, ever.

So, who else is not on a diet and is still losing weight?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in February of 2011. By May or so, it became a true lifestyle change and not a diet. After I lost the weight people would ask what my "secret" was. As soon as I tell them that I eat reasonable portions of food, I lose their interest. Quick fixes are so much more alluring!
  • Mrswheels01
    Mrswheels01 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself as on a diet. I don't limit myself on anything. I just eat better and holding myself accountable.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say I've lost 116 pounds and never dieted.... I just changed my lifestyle! :happy:
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No diet here! I have no desire to cut anything "out". I have totally managed to cut "back" on things that aren't so good for me. But I still have what I want (chocolate, wine, pizza, etc.) I just manage it better now!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, I prefer lifestyle change. I still eat what I want, but I changed how much and what.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Many people consider counting calories a diet. I'm not doing anything like low carbs, or a diet that prescribes what I can eat. Just counting calories, and learning what a proper portion size is so that I don't have to count calories forever.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    no diet here! I eat anything in moderation, it's a lifestyle change for me....
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I eat a healthy diet. I am not on one.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    People ask me what diet I'm on, I always say I'm not. I'm just eating like I should have been. I eat waaaaay more salads and still eat what I want, just in smaller portions and I stay away from junk food. If I have pasta, bread, curry or whatever, it's no big deal. I just eat a smaller portion with some salad and have no problem losing weight with my exercise.

I just noticed (coming from a Mountain Dew junkie) that I can not have soda anymore, period. If I do, I end up with the worst stomach cramps and in the bathroom within hours. It's good but at the same time, I would like to splurge a little when I go out to eat (which is rare anyway). Oh well, my body has had enough and tells me no more, ever.

So, who else is not on a diet and is still losing weight?

I'm definitely not on a diet - I just make much better choices. I still have things I want (like deep dish Chicago-style pizza) every once in a while... I just don't have it ALL the TIME! Lol
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I do not diet; I changed my life. And like you said, I eat and live the way I should have been eating and living all along.

There is a girl at work who saw how much weight and lost. She decided to do this "diet" (this "diet" meaning counting calories) and she stopped when she reached her goal and has now gained everything back plus some. She started her "diet" again today so I am interested to see how long this one lasts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not fixated on eating less, it's all about eating better (which implies sensible portion control) On pizza night it's 2 slices (rather than half the pizza) and on Saturday there was ice cream for dessert - albeit a smaller serving and I savoured every molecule.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not a diet. MFP says 1200 calories, and that is what I try to stick to. I eat and drink what I want. Moderation is the key!
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That is what I am doing! Just a lifestyle change. Being more active and just eating slightly less focusing on nutrients and stuff.

Eating "low calorie" stuff is great if its good food like fruits, vegetables ect. If you are eating stuff like chips , snack cakes , and tons of junk food. You could prob. still get away with eating them once a day and losing weight as long as you are under your calories.

However...these foods tend to be overeaten! Thats why I am just trying to eat as healthy!

~Rachel
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I hate when people call it a diet. It's not a diet.. It's a permanent lifestyle change for me.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm with you... trying to make the healthier choices, but still have the bad one's (portion control) ever now and then. I'm not on a diet, I know it will take me a little longer to get to my goal, but at least this way I know I will stick with it!
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Many people consider counting calories a diet. I'm not doing anything like low carbs, or a diet that prescribes what I can eat. Just counting calories, and learning what a proper portion size is so that I don't have to count calories forever.

exactly!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely believe its a lifestyle change instead. I'm not on a specific diet in any way. I eat what I like just in sensible portions and I'm at a point where some calorific food just aren't worth the calories. If I really want a treat I have one though x
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have NOT been on a diet since August of 2010. I have just made a lifestyle change. I eat no white flour. Only whole and/or sprouted grains. Veggies by the ton. And I don't do any sugar or artificial sweeteners. I have learned a ton about food and nutrition and only eat limited processed food. I think if people go on diets, they deprive themselves of things they shouldn't have. And they lose steam and fall off the wagon. Also, they tend to drop their weight and gain it all back because they go back to the bad habits when they get to their goal weight.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've cut wheat as I seem to have a mild intolerance and do pile loads of water on if start eating it daily and get bad bloat (look pregnant!)

My tummy shrunk loads just from dropping wheat but I ate everything else that I liked before and discovered a few new foods that I'd never tried before.

I like corn tortilla wraps for sandwiches rather than gluten free bread though its ok toasted with cheese or scrambled eggs on! I had to experiment with a few brands to find one I liked. Still have curry, chocolate and brandy & coke though! :happy:
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I so hear you! I am changing little by little not really sticking to any diet. Most people fail when there are diets so no diets for me :)