TRX Question

Options
Ok I had a evaluation at the gym I go to. I talked with the trainer different things besides on my weight training that I can do and TRX came up. The more I think about it looks like something that I would look into. My only down fall is my knees are bad but I don't thing should affect upper body. A little about me 36f 5'8 and weigh about 298. Just wondering what other have done it and what kinda experience people have had with it. Really looks like fun and was hoping can get some input.:bigsmile: :smile: :drinker:

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer at the gym we did TRX. It is fun but a lot tougher than I expected, you can do all types of excercises on it. You use your body weight and the ropes make you use your core more for stability, I would suggest having a couple sessions with a trainer and then go on your own if money is an issue, the trainer will just make sure you have proper form as well as show you different exercises.
  • hopperja
    hopperja Posts: 4
    Options
    TRX can be scaled to virtually anyone's fitness needs. Most exercises, particularly any of the scores of upper body exercises, the knees are kept straight. You can vary the intensity by varying the angle, offset, and balance (ie, doing a pushup with one leg up in the air like a bird dog is much harder than doing it with both feet on the ground and spread shoulder width apart).

I'm a big fan of TRX style training. However, they are expensive. If you're handy, you can easily make one with a 25' section of 3/8" rope, some 1.5" PVC for handles, and a carabiner. Use bowline knots to make the loops for the handles, and leave a tail on each handle to attach to the main rope with a Prussik knot. I made one for less than $10 and used it consistently for about 18 months with no problems.

Cut two 4 to 5 foot lengths off the 25' section. Tie those into loops that look like large P's (a loop with a tail). Make two 7" chunks of PVC and round the inside of the corners so they don't put undue wear on the rope. Put the PVC inside the loop for the handle. You can also make a figure-8 through the PVC so that you have an adjustable foot cradle (like Bowflex handles), or make a second, smaller loop for a fixed foot cradle (like on TRX). I have made 6 of these: 1 for me, 1 for my dad, and 4 for friends.

I now have the TRX Force kit and use the rope as a second set-up.

Whatever you do, make sure your anchor point is secure.