Shakes - UK companies

Options
Hey Guys,

A while back I posted a thread about which protein shakes to drink, unfortunately a lot of them aren't available in the uk!

I've had the myprotein WHEY one, which is all protein and no carbs (banana cream flavour ohhh yeah)

Also had the maximuscle one that also has no carbs.

If I'm wanting to put on some muscle (nothing ridiculous) and want my cals to be taken up a bit with shakes as I do so much exercise, what shake would you recommend? Not really bothered about results in 2 weeks blahblah, would rather be consistent.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The one you are on should do the trick?
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeah was thinking it's good for protein. I use Creatine and L-Glutamine in the shakes too. Just making sure I've got it right. Some people seem to have 350 cal per shake stuff and mines about 140 with what I put in it (water) it's just a bit low that's all, thought I should be using something a bit more complex.
  • deightonzx6
    Options
    I use reflex instant whey and its only about 150 cals for 3 scoops
  • slay0r
    Options
    I was only thinking with the cals because my calories on MFP for very active is 1800 calories to lose like half a pound a week (I don't lose on this it just seems to be right for me to maintain) when I add all the cycling and exercise I do I'm on a minimum of 2700 cals a day if not 3000. To put on some muscle I'm guessing I need to eat a little more than my maintaining calories amount meaning even more calories. I just can't eat that with the way I eat (really healthily) I struggle hitting more than the original 1800 with all the meats and non processed foods, was hoping I could get a few back from these shakes or something :X
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Have a look for Matrix Anabolic, that's the one I use.

50g serving gives 40g protein. Quite low carb and reasonably low fat.

When I'm bulking, I stick my creatine, L-Leucine and Maltodextrin in it. The maltodextrin really adds calories and is good for shuttling the protein and creatine around quickly. For even more calories, make it up with skim milk instead of water.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Oh, and it's pretty good value too! 5kg (about 110 servings) for under £40!
    Oh, and it's pretty good value too! 5kg (about 110 servings) for under £40!
  • slay0r
    Options
    Legend jay! That's what I was looking for with a low serving. Looks good, I'll take a look at the maltodextrin too, don't know much about it tbh.
  • jayb0ne
    Options
    Without getting too technical, maltodextrin is a starchy polysaccharide which is absorbed as quickly as glucose. Although it's technically a complex carb, it is good for spiking insulin for rapid uptake of nutrients. So if you throw it in with your whey, it helps manouvre the proteins and creatine around the body.

Good for bulking. I leave it out when I'm cutting, but then I deload my creatine on a cut too.

Hope it helps bud. Give me a shout if you need some more detailed info on how I work my supplement stack.

Jay
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use reflex instant whey choc mint with skimmed milk.