Sugar in fruit

Options
I keep going over the sugar limit that MFP sets me...but most of my sugar comes from fruit! Should I be worried about this or not, seeing as most of it comes from natural sources?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well there are two issues here... One is natural vs manmade sugar, the other is the amount of sugar you consume as part of your diet. Yes, sugar from fruit is better because it's not chemical. But if you're watching your weight, then consuming too much sugar, even from fruit, is inadvisable.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I always go over my daily limit. But the only sugar I am eating is fruit. I am not eating candy or junk like that. I wish there was a way to distinguish the two. I am insulin resistant, so when I eat sugar, I have a physical reaction to it, racing heart sometimes, fatigue, etc. But when I eat fruit I don't get that reaction.
  • libby555
    libby555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is an issue for me as well. I am going over everyday because of fruit and it's only a few pieces per day. There are some in other items I eat but the majority is fruit so I often find myself putting that banana down after my workout.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is bad no matter where it comes from. Try eating veg instead of fruit :-)
  • horsesandhipbones
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm going to try and cut down on my sugar intake a wee bit.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The other thing about sugar is that if you do eat a lot of it, you'll experience energy spike/crash cycles, and you will probably be hungrier.
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    This is an issue for me as well. I am going over everyday because of fruit and it's only a few pieces per day. There are some in other items I eat but the majority is fruit so I often find myself putting that banana down after my workout.

After a workout-the best thing to eat is 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein-so a banana is ok as long as you have it with protein
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    Lower-sugar fruits (from Livestrong.com):

Apple (sliced)
    Apricot (4 oz.)
    Blackberry
    Blueberry
    Boysenberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cherry (sour, sweet, 10 medium)
    Coconut meat (1 oz. or 1 cup shredded/grated, not packed)
    Coconut milk
    Currant (red, black, white)
    Elderberry
    Gooseberry
    Grape (10 medium)
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi fruit (1 medium)
    Kumquat (1 medium)
    Lemon/Lime (2 inch diameter)
    Lemon/Lime Juice (1 oz)
    Mulberry
    Orange (sections, without membrane)
    Peach (1 med, 4 oz.)
    Persimmon (American, Japanese, 1 medium)
    Pineapple (1 oz)
    Plum
    Raspberry
    Strawberry
    Tangelo (1 medium)
    Tangerine (1 medium)
    Watermelon

Except where noted, all have less than 10 gm carbs in a half cup serving.
  • Tashry
    Tashry Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is bad no matter where it comes from. Try eating veg instead of fruit :-)

^^This

I always avoid high sugar fruits. Watermelon, grapes, etc... Quite frankly one of the only fruits I allow myself is a banana. Switch to veggies. They will provide more benefit without the high sugar.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go over all the time. And I don't worry about it. I pay attention to added sugar in my diet, and limit that (i.e. sugar in condiments, "junk food" or I add myself.). I try to limit it to 1 tablespoon less than once a day. I probably work out to having no added sugar 3 days a week, a teaspoon 2 or 3 times a week, and "junk food" 1-2X a week. I have a weakness for pastries. So besides fruit, sugar is a fairly low part of my diet.

I don't have an insulin problem or diabetes.
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    Not sure bout this one, never seen an overweight fruitarian.
  • clemsonacemd
    clemsonacemd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    while I agree that too much sugar is bad, regardless of where it comes from, IMHO the amount granted by MFP is way under goal, esp if I'm supposed to be getting 55% of my calories from carbohydrates; from what I got from googling how much sugar to take in, seems like a standard answer was 60g (MFP was giving me less than half that)
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try eat fiberous veg instead like broccoli, spinach or kale
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, most nutritionists say eat fruits. They're aware of the sugar in it and yet they still recommend it. I have yet to meet somebody who eats lots of fruits and is fat. Processed sugar: Bad. Natural Sugar: Good!

Just my PoV
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Well there are two issues here... One is natural vs manmade sugar, the other is the amount of sugar you consume as part of your diet. Yes, sugar from fruit is better because it's not chemical. But if you're watching your weight, then consuming too much sugar, even from fruit, is inadvisable.

A load of horse... "man made" sugar. i.e refined sugar is just made from sugar cane or sugar beets and is just the sugar derived from the plant that was already there It is not a "chemical" in the way implied in the above post(yes it is a chemical but everything is!"! And likewise in fruit. Now there are different types of sugars. Lactose is the sugar mostly in milk/dairy, Sucrose and Fructose are in fruits and veg with varying proportions and glucose is probably one of the simpler kinds... there are other kinds. You will go over on sugars if you eat a lot of fruit and this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just keep you calories in check and your teeth clean! :) x
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I keep going over the sugar limit that MFP sets me...but most of my sugar comes from fruit! Should I be worried about this or not, seeing as most of it comes from natural sources?

I have the same problem.. (except for today)... and have wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Apple (sliced)
    Apricot (4 oz.)
    Blackberry
    Blueberry
    Boysenberry
    Cantaloupe
    Coconut milk
    Elderberry
    Gooseberry
    Grape (10 medium)
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi fruit (1 medium)
    Kumquat (1 medium)
    Lemon/Lime Juice (1 oz)
    Mulberry
    Peach (1 med, 4 oz.)
    Pineapple (1 oz)
    Plum
    Raspberry
    Strawberry
    Tangelo (1 medium)
    Tangerine (1 medium)
    Watermelon

THANK YOU :flowerforyou:
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    If you are eating WHOLE fruit, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Whole fruit, even the poor much-maligned bananas, have a lot of fiber which aids the metabolism of the sugars in them. Fiber slows down the absorption rate of sugar so you don't get the "spike" you can get with cane sugar. If you drink fruit juice, research shows you're just as likely to develop diabetes as a person who drinks sodas. So eat whole, raw fruit when you're craving something sweet.

People who say "sugar is sugar" are not giving you the whole story. While it's true that the body breaks it all down to glucose for the muscles to burn, honey contains enzymes that make it easier to digest, agave, maple syrup and honey all contain minerals and other micronutrients that are refined out of table sugar. Brown sugar is nominally better because it isn't bleached but it's still a refined product with no fiber. All in all, you're still better off with fresh raw fruit than any other sweet food.
  • SSNok
    SSNok Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Apple (sliced)
    Apricot (4 oz.)
    Blackberry
    Blueberry
    Boysenberry
    Cantaloupe
    Coconut milk
    Elderberry
    Gooseberry
    Grape (10 medium)
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi fruit (1 medium)
    Kumquat (1 medium)
    Lemon/Lime Juice (1 oz)
    Mulberry
    Peach (1 med, 4 oz.)
    Pineapple (1 oz)
    Plum
    Raspberry
    Strawberry
    Tangelo (1 medium)
    Tangerine (1 medium)
    Watermelon

That is like every fruit on the planet! which ones are the "higher-sugar"?