Not sure it's considered "running".......

Options
I have already signed up for a 5k and a 7k (trail run) in May. I am quite overweight, with at least 80 pounds to lose. I have been walking consistently for a month or so now on the treadmil. I have gone from barely being able to do a mile to power walking 3 miles in 45 minutes. I feel like I should start running some now. At the speed (or lack there of) I'm able to do, I'm not sure you could really consider it "running". lol

My issue is not necessarily getting short of breath, but my legs hurt! Also, now that it is nicer out, I would like to move my walking/running outside. I could only do about half the normal distance outside and that wasn't running. I know it's because the incline is much greater outside and the treadmill does some of the work for you....but I'm feeling like I'm never going to make it through the 5k & 7k coming up.

Should I continue to run/walk outside? I was thinking of walking a block, running a block, etc

Suggestions?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I would try the Couch to 5K program, outside, if I were you. It's a great way to start running, and you can always repeat weeks if you need to.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Keep it up outside since your trail run is outdoors. Maybe 1/2 and 1/2 with some indoor workouts as well. I think you need to be careful and listen to your body--pain = proceed with caution, don't overdo it or you will wind up with an injury (i've done it before).

It will get easier. Way to go for signing up for your runs!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Outside, definitely. C25K (couch to 5k) is a good way to build up cardio fitness and strength without risk of injury. Enjoy!:smile:
  • melbellkid
    Options
    Im by no means a runner myself...so I feel your pain. I have completed 2 5k races...speed walking and all at right around 45 minutes. I am just starting to try running myself-I will admit I run like a turtle, but my goal is to be able to at least jog my next one this summer and shave a few minutes off my time. I have been trying to do half run half walk every block and work my way up to running the whole thing (hopefully). The feeling you get crossing the line whether running or walking is so exciting and you will be so proud of yourself for doing it-just do your best and keep working at it! I would definately keep up going outside for your runs...it will get you more prepared compared to the treadmill...definately a different feel for me anyhow...Good luck to you!
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done to you for making a start. I've been trying to get into this running lark for ages and I am never going to love it but I do love that it really helps with my toning and weight loss so I keep going. Couch to 5k is great. I try and mix it up a bit - if I get bored with a continual run/jog then I do a bit of run/walk - it all helps so I don't get stressed with having to run the whole thing. When I run on the treadmill I always use a 2.0 incline as I've been told it replicates outside a bit better. Good luck x
  • runningJenn
    runningJenn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :wink: :flowerforyou:
    I have been (and kind of still am) in your exact shoes. Congrats on signing up, first of all. That in itself is a big hurdle. It won't be easy, but it's addictive once you start. Even if you're doing 5mph, you are running. Just take it easy; as love4fitnessl said "listen to your body". It gets easier and easier, believe me. I couldn't run .10 mile on the treadmill when I started, now a 5k is no problem. I am not fast and I am ok with that.

I suggest starting with a walk-run combo doing 1 min walk-1 min run for a week, then each week add 30 seconds (or whatever you can handle) onto the walk-run; even if outdoors. You'll definitely want to get outdoors to condition your legs & ankles to the less even terrain. Also, STRETCH!! I cannot stress this enough. My legs get incredibly sore as well. Warm up & then STRETCH! (The Cto5k is a great program too, as maddymama pointed out!! )

Also, as a little added motivation, once you get comfortable running, even if you stop for a while, your body remembers this fitness level and it is easier to get into it after slowing down. I had neuropathy issues and quit running for a few months, then tore my mcl on my first run back (1 block into it too...) For the past year, the only race I did was a triathlon last fall (my first and LOVED it). Yesterday, I just did my first 5k since then and it was like riding a bike; my body was ready to run! Yours will be too!! And I'd like to point out, I'm about 80 pounds overweight as well. (Gained about 40 back in the past year... ugh!)

Cheers, best of luck, and let me know if you have questions. I have been there!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Any type of walk/run program can be helpful. Start with the shortest amount of time you can comfortably run--even if it is only 20 seconds, and walk for 4-5 times that amount of time. Try for 4-6 intervals at first and work up from there.

About the race: You may find that you just are not up to running at this time. It's good to have a goal (the race) to motivate you, but it's not worth an injury to force yourself to do it.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem when I started - my legs (especially my shins) would ache so bad when I tried to run even short distances especially outside. So this is what I did, and you can take it or leave it. Let me preface by saying that I started out at 343 lbs and could barely walk a mile, am now 270 lbs (still obese) but run 5 miles a day 3 days a week, and have completed 2 half marathons, one walk/running as I suggest below, and the last one running (well jogging) the whole way.

I did my training outside on nice days, and inside on the treadmill when the weather was poor (because of wind mostly, rain doesn't bother me as much but wind blows lol).

Once I was able to power-walk for at least 2 miles (about 28 minutes or so at my 14:00 pace), I added jogging. I would walk for 5 minutes to warm up, then run for 30 seconds , walk for 4.5 minutes, run for 30 seconds , walk for 4.5 minutes, etc over and over again until I had completed the distance I wanted to go (I started at 3 miles).

Every other week I added 30 seconds to each run phase and subtracted 30 seconds from each walk phase (except that all important 5 min warm up walk) until I was running 3 minutes, walking 2 minutes. I also increased the distance that I was traveling and kept the total time about the same (45 minutes). I went on a few longer walk/runs on the weekends to up my endurance, and after 24 weeks I did my first half marathon doing the 3min/2min pace. Honestly by the end I was walking more and running less, but the point was I did finish, in 3hours 28 minutes. (If interested I can provide the actual 24 week training program I used before my first half). I was 315 when I ran my first half.

I continued that proceedure, until finally I ran for 5 minutes strait, and then another 5 minutes, and another, until I realized I didn't need the walk break anymore. I then ran in my second half marathon and finished in 2 hours 42 minutes. Keep in mind, I was still 285 (80 lbs over my goal weight) at the time.

What you want to do you CAN do! Just listen to your body, and find out how far you can push without pushing too far. If you would like to friend me feel free. Always trying to help my others that like me love to run, but have a significant amount of weight to loose.
  • jbanas0620
    jbanas0620 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all, cudos to you for setting yourself a goal and signing up for the 5k. Secondly, you do not have to run a 5k. I did a 5k once and power walked most of it and there were plenty of people along with me and even behind me. There are going to be all sorts of physically fit people who do these and, especially since you say it is a trail walk, you wouldn't want to push yourself trying to run something that you are not used to. I will say from experience that exercising outside on concrete/pavement is going to be worse for you, especially if you are saying your shins hurt on the treadmill. If you have something similar to the trail you can work out on, then it probably wouldn't be so harsh to do some of your workouts outside and some inside like someone else suggested. As for progressing to running, I am by no means an expert, but giving you advice from a heavy person who is also trying to incorporate running into my fitness program. Currently, I am down to a 17.5 minute mile and I run 10 minutes of the 35 minutes it takes me to do two miles. I usually do a good 5 minute warm up around 3 to 3.5 mph and then I usually jog anywhere from 1 minute to 1.5 minutes to 2 minutes, depending on how I feel. Then, I will slow down for a little bit to catch my breath and walk for a bit and then when I feel ready, I jog another 1-2 minutes. This is the best way, slow and steady. Even if you can only run 1 minute out of your whole workout, its a minute more than you ran before and just gradually increase from there. You will get addicted as you build up your endurance when you see how many calories you burn compared to even brisk walking which is why I continue to gradually increase my running. I started out with only 2 minutes of jogging each session and now I am up to 10 minutes. So, slow and steady and, as someone else said, let your body tell you its limits. Yes, you will feel some burn when pushing the envelope and that is normal, but any kind of sudden or extreme pain is not. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem when I started - my legs (especially my shins) would ache so bad when I tried to run even short distances especially outside. So this is what I did, and you can take it or leave it. Let me preface by saying that I started out at 343 lbs and could barely walk a mile, am now 270 lbs (still obese) but run 5 miles a day 3 days a week, and have completed 2 half marathons, one walk/running as I suggest below, and the last one running (well jogging) the whole way.

I did my training outside on nice days, and inside on the treadmill when the weather was poor (because of wind mostly, rain doesn't bother me as much but wind blows lol).

Once I was able to power-walk for at least 2 miles (about 28 minutes or so at my 14:00 pace), I added jogging. I would walk for 5 minutes to warm up, then run for 30 seconds , walk for 4.5 minutes, run for 30 seconds , walk for 4.5 minutes, etc over and over again until I had completed the distance I wanted to go (I started at 3 miles).

Every other week I added 30 seconds to each run phase and subtracted 30 seconds from each walk phase (except that all important 5 min warm up walk) until I was running 3 minutes, walking 2 minutes. I also increased the distance that I was traveling and kept the total time about the same (45 minutes). I went on a few longer walk/runs on the weekends to up my endurance, and after 24 weeks I did my first half marathon doing the 3min/2min pace. Honestly by the end I was walking more and running less, but the point was I did finish, in 3hours 28 minutes. (If interested I can provide the actual 24 week training program I used before my first half). I was 315 when I ran my first half.

I continued that proceedure, until finally I ran for 5 minutes strait, and then another 5 minutes, and another, until I realized I didn't need the walk break anymore. I then ran in my second half marathon and finished in 2 hours 42 minutes. Keep in mind, I was still 285 (80 lbs over my goal weight) at the time.

What you want to do you CAN do! Just listen to your body, and find out how far you can push without pushing too far. If you would like to friend me feel free. Always trying to help my others that like me love to run, but have a significant amount of weight to loose.

Excellent advice & congrats on persevering.

To the OP, listen to your body and progress at your own pace - don't worry about what other think is running or not, this is your journey.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I would try the Couch to 5K program, outside, if I were you. It's a great way to start running, and you can always repeat weeks if you need to.

This is exactly what I was going to say!