Calories for Strength Training

Options
I just started (yesterday) working with weights. When I entered the exercise into my log, there were no calories burned. Did I miss something? I mean, of course I burned calories lifting weights for 30 minutes (alright, maybe not that many, but some).

Any ideas on this? Am I doing something wrong with MFP?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If you search under cardio "strength training" you can enter in however many minutes of just general strength training and it'll give you a calorie count. Entering the individual exercises under strength training is more of just so you know what you did.
  • DanStone
    DanStone Posts: 18
    Options
    They are unable to calculate this because each person lifts different weights, reps and intensities. According to most leading nutritional books in an average gym session in one hour a person burns around 375calories. So if u want to put it in ur log then add a new entry under cardiovascular. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Fatboy960
    Options
    Thanks, that was very helpful.
  • Fatboy960
    Options
    @DanStone - yours was helpful too. Thanks for the prompt responses!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    From the FAQs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training?phrase=strength&platform=web
    Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.