Approaching 50 is it daunting?

Options
:flowerforyou: As we approach our middle age you don't feel oldat all. Inside you are as vibrant as ever. The only problem is that although younger people always tell you that you're not old they still think that your age is! Your thoughts?

Replies

• BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Haha. I will be 50 in August and I don't feel it at all. My daughter says I am getting old...she is always kidding me about it though. I do realize my age does prevent me from doing certain things such as cartwheels, but I still think I could do them. It also prevents me from wearing certain clothing. I just think 50 is too old to be wearing some of todays fashions. Thankfully, I have always dressed pretty conservatively so I'm not really affected by that. I actually like this age of mine...and getting closer to getting the senior discounts without feeling like a senior.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    We can't keep from getting old. But we can keep from being aged.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and feel young. It really doesn't bother me to be this age. Menopause sucks but what can I do other than accept it I probably won't like the 75 - 85 year old bracket though. It will be here before I know it. Life goes by so fast. Anyway, add me as a friend if you like. I like to be friends with people my age. Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    wow SuzeM, you look mid 30s, wow! keep up the great work!
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    I love my 50's. Just the fact that I survived half a century makes me feel good! I did some really stupid stuff when I was younger and very easily could not of been here. I realize I am getting older and decided I want more than to live till my mid 60's like my parents! So that's the reason I'm here and working hard at weight loss! As a plus - some of the senior discounts are pretty nice! I also tell my kids I'm no longer *****y - I'm merely old and crochety!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    oh man! in this day and age, i say 50 is the new 30! all the older people i have come across have a great new view of life that people younger seem to not have. not only can you learn SO much from them but i really admire and look up to older people...they have a lot more years of experience on me!

as my grandpa says, ~you spend the first half of your life figuring out how to live life and you spend the second half sitting back and enjoying it~

truer words have never been spoken! <3:drinker:
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm 52 and don't feel any older than I did 15 years ago. :smile:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'll be 49 in July, so I feel ya. But, I feel better and am healthier now than I was in my 30's and early 40's, so I try not to think of it as anything but a number!:flowerforyou:
  • sher711
    sher711 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am creeping up on 50 this coming August and I have wished my 30's and 40's away wanting to be in the best shape possible. So my goal for my up coming birthday is to be at my corrrect weight plus be in shape. So with all that in mind I am excited about turning 50...It is just a number. I would like to be added to your friends list if you would like. Thanks for the postive note on being 50...

Sherri
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I turn 47 this year. When I hit the big 50, I'm going to walk up, punch it in the mouth and say FU!!!!!!!
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and loving it!
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sure is. I will be 49 in May. I am very inspired by the fit 50's on this site. Well done everyone - you all look great. And certainly looking after your health - otherwise you would not be on MFP.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It took me 40 years to finally find myself....... I'll be 44 in September and I plan on enjoying every second of who I am regardless of my age.......

**edited to add** I don't know about you ladies, but I'm just reaching my prime!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Menopause sucks but what can I do other than accept it

I'm 47 and peri-menopausal and so far it sucks too!
    Mentally I still feel young but my body looks middle aged which is why I joined MFP. I'm finding it tough though. Slow metabolism means slow weight loss despite my best efforts. It took my aunt 12 months to lose 10 kilos, looks like it's going to take ages for me to lose my flab too.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being 50. The kids are all grown and out on their own, and grandkids are the BEST! I've had more adventures in the last 4 years than I had in the first 46. :)
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    51 here. The more I get in shape and rationally watch what I eat, the better I feel. Attitude has a lot to do with it too. I love the mfp app and I track everything. Consequently I've cut out all the impulse eating and have lost 7 pounds in my first week, which has given me great hope for the future.
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this past June and it hit me really hard. I used it as my motivation to get my act together, and since then I've lost over 50 pounds and I'm running my second 5K in a couple of weeks. I'm in the best shape of my life, and now I think 50 is fabulous!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'll be 45 next month and I'm in the best shape of my life. In fact, today at the health food store I was buying strawberries and the cashier and I were talking about our little girls and how they eat more of them than we do. She asked how old my kids are. I told her 24, 21, 10 and 9 and she looked stunned that I had a 24 year old. She said she thought I was around her age which was 30. Now that's being a little too kind but I'll take it :-)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 in December , not really bothered about it , my daughter turns 18 the same month so we were thinking of going on
    a special trip or something together
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    My idea of what constitutes "old" has taken some dramatic reassessments over the years.

It still seems that 50 is something that should happen to other people, but really, as with my other "big" birthdays, it's far less important than how I feel.

Which is like a 20 year old, but one who has actually figured out exactly how people and the world in general works.
    Be afraid... Be very afraid! :bigsmile: