Late evening meals/snacks?

Options
Hello all! So I have 2 part time jobs, one being that I work from 1-7:30pm twice a week and I don't return home until 8pm. I eat breakfast and workout before I go to work at 1 and have my "lunch break" around 4. With that being said, I'm super hungry by the time I get home at 8. I don't like that I need to eat something after 8, but I need to have something. Lately I've been having scrambled eggs and toast, or an egg type of sandwich, with light cheese. Does anybody have any light meal/snack suggestions for this time of the evening that doesn't involve too much to make? Thanks :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    First, I would not worry about eating later in the evening. If you have calories left it doesn't matter when you eat, it's what you eat.
    I eat up til the time my head hits the pillow and have had no trouble losing or maintaining.
    If it's possible you could make a few grilled or baked chicken breast ahead of time and have them for later in the week. Cook up some frozen veggies, rice or whole wheat noodles and microwave it when you get home. You could have a big salad with Tuna or Chicken and you have a quick healthy meal. Egg white omelets with tons of veggies and some cheese with low cal whole grain bread. Hope it helps. :drinker:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    why not just have dinner when you get home and then a light snack before bed?
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    that's great. i work out at 9-1030..so wen i get home i'm hungry (i have dinner at 630) so i eat toast and eggs, or milk and protein cereal, or if not that hungry fruit or yogurt.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    popcorn....

you can eat 2 cups popped for about 50 calories. (thats about 1/2 bag of micro popcorn)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the time so much either. So long as its 2 hours or more before you go to bed. I eat dinner at 8 or 8:30 all the time, and then there's no snack before bed.

But if you really just want snack ideas, cottage cheese and any fruit or veg of your choice is nice, good source of protein. You could even make a delish veg stirfry w/ a boatload of veggies, 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil and spices. Both around 200 cal. Kashi go lean cereal and lowfat milk. LOTS of protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    First, I would not worry about eating later in the evening. If you have calories left it doesn't matter when you eat, it's what you eat.
    I eat up til the time my head hits the pillow and have had no trouble losing or maintaining.

^ This. Don't let the clock dictate your feeding schedule.

If you have discomfort sleeping on a full stomach then I would obviously monitor this. Beyond that, eat whenever you want.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

If you have discomfort sleeping on a full stomach then I would obviously monitor this. Beyond that, eat whenever you want.

Agreed. That said I hit the cottage cheese because the casein protein is slower digesting and sticks in your system longer at night for recovery purposes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Break out a pint of ice cream
  • emaitch
    emaitch Posts: 4
    Options

Agreed. That said I hit the cottage cheese because the casein protein is slower digesting and sticks in your system longer at night for recovery purposes.

If I'm feeling hungry before bed, I'll have a cup of 0% fat Greek Yogurt mixed with a little sugar-free flavored syrup.