Cruise Ship??

Options
So, I was just wondering if anyone on here has been on any Norwegian cruise ships? If so, what were the "healthier" food choices like? My husband and I are headed to Miami on Wednesday to catch a weekend cruise that he earned/won through his work, and I've never been cruising, so just wondering what to expect.

Any advice/suggestions/help anyone can offer would be much appreciated! =-)

Replies

• scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been on Norwegian a few times!

Like most of the major cruise lines, they have a really wide variety of food to choose from. If you are looking for healthy food, you will have a lot to choose from. The trick will be to stop eating when full :laugh:

If you go to the buffet and see something you like, but say it has a sauce on it, you can ask someone behind the counter if you can have it without the sauce.

In the main dinning rooms, you can ask your water to make changes to a meal to suit your needs.

My daughter and I both eat gluten free, and on our last cruise, they were wonderful in accommodating our needs.

The ships are big, so if you like walking stairs, that is a great way to burn off excess calories!

You are going to have a great time!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I go on cruises at leasta 3x a year (mostly Norwegian) and I usually don't gain a pound! And I drink a lot of fruity drinks and beer and eat dessert with every meal.

First things first, I usually do a quick 3-day diet before I go, low low carbs and just healthy lean meats and veggies. It gives me a quick water weight drop so I feel extra sexy in my bikini.

I try and do some kind of workout every day I am there, whether it be go to the gym, swim, play basketball with the kids, or even just a lot of walking. I ALWAYS take the stairs, they are great for getting that little bit of exercse in! And while I don't really watch what I eat, I do more drinking than eating. I don't eat just because it is there, I stick to the 3 meals plus a couple snacks a day like normal. I'm sure I'm eating more calories than usual, but its just not like I'm eating just to eat.

I take it you're doing the Norwegian Sky? That's one of our favorites! It is a great little ship for weekend cruises. They have a decent salad bar and I like their roasted chicken, YUM! Have a great time!
  • miss_september
    Options
    Thank you for the responses!! I will keep all suggestions in mind =-)

And yes, we are going on the Norwegian Sky. I've never been on a cruise, and my husband has never gone with Norwegian (he's been on others)--so I just didn't know what to expect.

Thanks again!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We did Royal Carribean.
    People always talk abiut weight gain on a cruise, I did not find the food special in any way, but I am kind of a snob.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    When we cruise we get a balcony room. I always order breakfast through room service and that way I'm not tempted by a buffet. Love my coffee on the balcony! We also do a lot of walking all over the ship, up and down stairs and take advantage of the gym. The dinner portions tend to be small which helps, but I love the desserts so I don't skip them. I make it a point to drink a lot of water. I love fish and my husband doesn't so I tend to eat a lot of fish dishes. I don't worry a lot about what I eat so I enjoy myself more, but I do track. Enjoy and have a lot of fun!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    We went on a cruise last year 3 weeks after I decided to get in shape. I managed to get a few workouts in on the ship (it was 7 days) I ate what I wanted, a lot of salads, fruit, fish, steak and managed to lose a pound while there. I didn't kill myself with workouts, I think maybe 5 hours the entire time we were gone and I ate the things I wanted, moderation and only a couple of desserts, no alcohol, no soda and still enjoyed myself immensely! Have a great time!