Kickboxing and the Kettle Ball

Options
I've heard that kickboxing can be a really great workout for toning and loosing weight. Has anyone tried any good kickboxing DVD's you would recommend?

I've recently read some good things about the kettle ball and some of the videos that go along with it. Im considering getting one. I saw a 8 pound kettle ball for about $15 at Ocean State Job Lot. I wanted to get anyone who's tried these workouts opinions first.

Replies

• okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is a 9round in North Branford, CT. Its a kick-boxing training gym that set up on a circuit. There are 9 "rounds" that each incorporate a different kickboxing exercise and are all 3 minutes each. You can go at your lunch hour and do all 9 rounds in half an hour! And you can jump in anytime and there are always trainers there to help you out and keep you moving.

Not sure how close that is to where you live but Google says less than 8 miles :). That's where I work out (except down here at my local 9round :) ) almost daily and it is AWESOME! It's free to try and I am sure they will have tons of advise on kickboxing training. If they are anything like the owners in Charlotte you will be hooked after the first try. The first workout is free too!
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing: If it's one of those ridiculous turbo kickboxing classes or whatever, you should probably just do an actual martial art or a muay thai class. I hate that they call it "kickboxing", they should just call it 'aerobics' class.

Kettle Bells: They are just a different shaped dumb bell. You can do some exercises with them that you can't do with a dumb bell. That being said, I like them. KB swings and get ups are great.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not really a class. (Note that any sequence is repeated for three minutes so like in the first round, you would wrap up the push ups and go right back to punches. Normally round one is jump rope)
    Here was my workout today:

Round One: 30 Punches with weights, twenty toe touches on a hanging punching bag (fancy running in place really) then five push-ups.

Thirty seconds after each round is a spontaneous exercise the trainers call, in this case it was lunges.

Round Two: Shuffle from one side of the room to the other then squat and press with a medicine ball. The first shuffle was followed with one press, the second with two etc. I got up 11.

Thirty seconds: squat kicks

Round Three: Jab, jab, hook, cross, hook 5x on a speed bag then ten jumping jacks.

30 sec: Squat Hops

Round Four: Punches again, this time standing sideways to the bag and punching out and up then squatting and punching down. Did that twenty times then switched sides.

30 sec: Mountain Climbers

Round Five: Uppercut punching bag, 4 upper cuts, 4 hooks, 4 punches then 4 knees, move and repeat.

30 sec: leg raises

Round Six: Round kick right, ten punches, round kick left, ten punches, repeat.

30 sec: Hold plank

Round seven: Shin kick hanging bag: 20 knees then pushing the back out 20 shin kicks alternating legs. (That killed!)

30 sec: Stretching

Round Eight: Speed bag for 3 minutes

30 sec: push ups

Round Nine: 15 leg raises over a medicine ball (side to side) then 20 crunches with medicine ball

30 sec: Bicycles.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A kettle bell is something worth doing some research on, taking a class on or talking to a trainer about, because there is definitely a risk of injury!

Kickboxing... I've done both muay thai and boxing/kickboxing workout at LA Boxing. If the "kickboxing" workout is standing in a gym shadowboxing at nothing, skip it. If you're actually hitting and kicking a bag for most of the session, you'll find it is one of the most intense workouts around. Make sure the instructors actually have martial arts training and are there to help your technique.

North Branford eh? I'm in Fairfield! Howdy neighbors :)
    Edit: SAY NO TO KICKBOXING DVDs. Unless you have years of experience, you need an instructor for this.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I really really recommend finding a local Boxing club or Muai Thai school.

Kickboxing is an INCREDIBLE workout.. a home DVD will not even come close to making you shed the buckets of sweat an instructor in a Kickboxing class will..

Skip the "Cardio kickboxing" and go for the real stuff!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take an awesome kickboxing class we start out skipping rope for 5 minutes then we do 10-15 minutes of kettlebell work then dive into partner work with mitts and gloves then the last 10 minutes or so are heavy bags, medicine balls and calisthenics in circuits.

As stated, a DVD for kickboxing is no match for learning from an expert. Women only kickboxing classes may be a good match if you can find one. You won't feel too intimidated and you'll meet some *kitten*-kickin women.

Kettlebells are a great cardio and strength workout, but again, read up before you dive in. Myomytv.com is a good resource for a variety of routines from a crazy strong tiny lady.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I love the kettlebell. Check out Michael Skogg and The Skogg System. You can find him on YouTube. He's very good at teaching you the right form to use with the kettlebell, which is pretty darned important. You could hurt yourself if your form is off.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was going to come and say that the new Kickbox FastFix DVD by Jillian Michaels is a lot of fun and a great workout, but by previous posts, kickboxing DVDs are just silly. :tongue:

But since you did ask about a DVD, I thought I'd throw that out there. Gotta say I've never taken a "real" kickboxing class - I don't have a gym membership, I just workout at home. But I used to do Tae Bo back in the day and just got the new Kickbox FastFix - I really like it. I sweat buckets (can't imagine sweating more!) and get a great calorie burn according to my HRM.

A class with actual bags & such may indeed be a better workout, but if you are looking to workout at home, I think this DVD is great.
  • janmulroy
    janmulroy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell once a week and I love it! There are no classes in my area so I rely on videos, I have found some good stuff on youtube but I started out by taking a class while I was on vacation and she taught the safety of kettlebell before class. Jillian Michael's shred it with weights is what I started out using.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I started with kickboxing DVD's and found a local Martial Arts place that did Kickboxing classes - they call it Cardio kickboxing and it changes every time - we will do practice moves, work with the bags, work with partners...sometimes they do up HIIT - Last Thursday we didn't even touch the bag - did a lot of partner and more cardio/stretching toning, body strength work...By the end of each class I am dripping with sweat...
  • kellabella83
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for the tips. North Branford is only a few minutes away from me. lol We're neighbors
  • 911chell
    911chell Posts: 26
    Options
    I really really recommend finding a local Boxing club or Muai Thai school.

Kickboxing is an INCREDIBLE workout.. a home DVD will not even come close to making you shed the buckets of sweat an instructor in a Kickboxing class will..

Skip the "Cardio kickboxing" and go for the real stuff!

I am with you on that one! I love the classes it is much better than the dvd version however with that said I have the tae bo dvd's and when my pocket book does not allow for the class it is a good alternative.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've heard that kickboxing can be a really great workout for toning and loosing weight. Has anyone tried any good kickboxing DVD's you would recommend?

I've recently read some good things about the kettle ball and some of the videos that go along with it. Im considering getting one. I saw a 8 pound kettle ball for about $15 at Ocean State Job Lot. I wanted to get anyone who's tried these workouts opinions first.

Tae Bo.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I like taeBo and Kick boxing classes. I do have to say though I saw the best improvement in my body when I got my boxing bag. I now had the resitance to really build the muscle and tone the arms.
  • hcs82
    hcs82 Posts: 17
    Options
    Punching and kicking at the air will do nothing but aggravate your joints and hurt your body in the long run. Tae Bo and any cardio kickboxing is not really kickboxing and you will hyper-extend your arms and legs.

Find a local martial arts place that teaches this and you won't be sorry! It's the most amazing workout ever and you can see and feel your progress. I've been in kickboxing since July of last year, at a school that also teaches jujitsu and has several MMA fighters training daily.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Punching and kicking at the air will do nothing but aggravate your joints and hurt your body in the long run. Tae Bo and any cardio kickboxing is not really kickboxing and you will hyper-extend your arms and legs.

Really? Billy Blanks is a martial artists, who has created Tae Bo and he has been doing it for over 30 years and you are telling me that his cardio kickboxing will hyper-extend his arms and legs and everyone that does his workouts arms and legs as well?

Silk Manning even has kickboxing workouts and not only that, he teaches kickboxing classes.

Surely, these professional martial artists would have warned the people that does their workout of the danger it could do to them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is:
    "I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"
    "You'll shoot your eye out, kid.
    :laugh:
    Find a local martial arts place that teaches this and you won't be sorry! It's the most amazing workout ever and you can see and feel your progress. I've been in kickboxing since July of last year, at a school that also teaches jujitsu and has several MMA fighters training daily.
    Send me the money for the class/gym fees & I'll do it! :tongue:

Seriously, if I could afford a gym membership and/or any classes, I'd take 'em, but it's not possible for my situation. So I workout at home with various DVDs, including kickboxing, and have managed to not injure myself. I have managed to lose 20lbs and drop a pants size, though. :bigsmile:

I can see how kicking a bag or some other target would be better, but for someone like me who can't afford the class or to have a bag at home, being careful to follow instruction (both tae bo and the JM DVDs I've done explain how to do the moves properly) and to use control with the moves so as not to hyper-extend anything is the only option. Well, that or just sit on my butt and let it grow. :noway:
  • hcs82
    Options

Really? Billy Blanks is a martial artists, who has created Tae Bo and he has been doing it for over 30 years and you are telling me that his cardio kickboxing will hyper-extend his arms and legs and everyone that does his workouts arms and legs as well?

Silk Manning even has kickboxing workouts and not only that, he teaches kickboxing classes.

Surely, these professional martial artists would have warned the people that does their workout of the danger it could do to them.

He's not a kickboxer. Ask your doctor if it's smart to do kickboxing off a DVD without a person instructing you and checking your movements in person. No need to get nasty on a message board, you'll make a fool of yourself.

Tae Bo is not kickboxing. It's a workout DVD.
  • hcs82
    Options
    Send me the money for the class/gym fees & I'll do it! :tongue:

Seriously, if I could afford a gym membership and/or any classes, I'd take 'em, but it's not possible for my situation. So I workout at home with various DVDs, including kickboxing, and have managed to not injure myself. I have managed to lose 20lbs and drop a pants size, though. :bigsmile:

I can see how kicking a bag or some other target would be better, but for someone like me who can't afford the class or to have a bag at home, being careful to follow instruction (both tae bo and the JM DVDs I've done explain how to do the moves properly) and to use control with the moves so as not to hyper-extend anything is the only option. Well, that or just sit on my butt and let it grow. :noway:

I understand the cost being a factor. I didn't want to join a gym because of the signup fees and contracts, especially because I hate using weight machines, treadmills, etc. I need a class to keep me motivated and going and people around me to work with. That's why I finally found a school that was worth the $75 a month!

Doing fitness videos is fine if you're careful with your movements. Because there's no one there instructing you it's easy to do things incorrectly and it CAN impact your body negatively. Best to check with your doctor here and there to make sure you're not straining your joints and whatnot.
  • AZackery
    Options
    He's not a kickboxer. Ask your doctor if it's smart to do kickboxing off a DVD without a person instructing you and checking your movements in person. No need to get nasty on a message board, you'll make a fool of yourself.

Tae Bo is not kickboxing. It's a workout DVD.

Hcs82, if Billy Blanks isn't a kickboxer, then what is he? I guess you are against workout dvds period, because according to you, a person needs a live person to show them what to do. If that's the case, then people need to stop making workout dvds and writing books, because they would be useless too.

I'm not being nasty to you Hcs82 and no, I will not make a fool of myself.

Tae Bo is kickboxing. Tell me, who is your kickboxer instructor certified under.
This discussion has been closed.