Need motivation: so sick of drinking water!

Options
i'm having trouble drinking 8 glasses of water a day. the most i drink is 5 or 6. i'm so sick of drinking water! i haven't had any other drink besides water for the past few days except for this morning; i drank a glass of milk.

any ideas on how i can drink 8 glasses of water a day? without feeling sick?

Replies

• cavanar2
    cavanar2 Posts: 46
    Options
    I drink primarily water too. When I get sick of it, I have a low-cal flavored water or a glass of crystal light. :drinker:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Do you like herbal tea?
  • lacy100
    lacy100 Posts: 19
    Options
    Try iced green tea with one splenda, or some natural honey. Green tea helps you loose weight, and is a good source of antioxidants.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I just found a product I really like. Its called True Lemon and they have True Lime as well. No fake sweetners, no preservatives, just crystalized lemon or lime. I found it by the Stevia and artificial sweetners at the grocery store (which is odd since it doesnt have any in it!)

I also drink Arizona diet Green tea with ginger. Its caffeine free so I count that with my water consumption.
  • natyasa
    natyasa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I get bored of water (which is rarely, but it happens!), I make cold Roasted Barley tea (tastes amazing) or add some Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tbp in a 16oz glass of water).

The ACV needs getting used to, but it's great for your body (balances PH levels). My hair and nails grow stronger and faster when I drink it daily. But it does a number on your teeth (it's acidity strips enamel) so be sure to drink from a straw.
  • heart
    heart Posts: 1
    Options
    You might make a point to drink from a pretty glass ALL the time! And, remember the fat has to be
    flushed out of the system some way...thus the water. Add lots of ice and it tastes fresher, too!
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I get bored of water (which is rarely, but it happens!), I make cold Roasted Barley tea (tastes amazing) or add some Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tbp in a 16oz glass of water).

The ACV needs getting used to, but it's great for your body (balances PH levels). My hair and nails grow stronger and faster when I drink it daily. But it does a number on your teeth (it's acidity strips enamel) so be sure to drink from a straw.

OMG apple cider vinegar in water!? :sick: that sounds horrible! lol.
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    I used to have a problem drinking all of my water as well. I find that if you drink a glass of water first thing in the morning it's easier to get the rest of the water down during the day. I try to drink a liter before lunch (i get to work at about 7:30) then I don't drink any the rest of the day so I won't kill my kidney on my 1.5 hour commute home, then by the time I get home I'm craving more and I usually can get down the last 4 cups easily. Hope this helps you too! :flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Confessions of a Water Snob:

I like water. It's almost all I drink.

Once you drink it primarily, to the exclusion of sodas, lemonade, tea, etc, (but not milk!), it tastes pretty darned good. I think your body just has to get used to *not* having the other stuff.

I like mine cold. Lots of ice for me, thanks.

I really like to drink mine with a straw. Not sure why :indifferent:

That being said, sometimes I still get tired of the stuff. :grumble:

When that happens, I'll toss a couple of slices of citrus (oranges are YUMMY!) into it, or drink some caffeine free iced tea, etc. Those kinds of things "count" for your water intake, too!
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh, I cannot tell you how much I don't like water.

So I put it in one of those Camelback bottles with a built in straw. Makes it kinda fun, and you can just kinda sip on it without thinking about it. I put it directly in front of my face on my desk at work, and because I like to eat/drink, I automatically lean forward and start drinking while I type.

It'll either get me and my body used to it, or it'll be a negitave reinforcement to get me to stop snacking! :laugh:
  • natyasa
    natyasa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I thought of a few more things.

Add a thin slice of cucumber to water (very refreshing)
    Add a slice of orange & lemon (nice flavor)

You'll think you're in a high-end spa all day long! :wink:
  • HeatherBurke
    HeatherBurke Posts: 147
    Options
    I've gone from drinking absolutely no water at all but drinking only soda, or diet and tea allll day and the caffeine and carbonation were killing me so now I'm drinking nothing but water whenever possible. What I do is I go to the gas station in the morning before work and fill up the big 32oz cup with the really good ice like the ice from Sonic and just fill it up at the water fountain but when the cup starts getting low keep refilling it and just sip on it without even realizing it... it goes a lot faster than I thought it would and the more you refill it the colder it stays and you keep the good ice! :drinker:
  • hamak13
    hamak13 Posts: 11
    Options
    Drink filtered water, it tastes better. Many times I feel it's easier to drink water that's not freezing cold. Icewater just goes down too slowly, and maybe the ice doesn't taste good, either. Carry around a 1 liter bottle, and consciously take sips. Eventually, your brain will get used to it, and trigger you to drink more, eventually. 1liter is half of your day's requirement. For example, before you go exercise, you should drink about 1/2 liter so you are hydrated. In no time, you'll see how easy it is to consume an adequate amount of water. You'll have more energy, too. Good luck!
  • jkofoed
    jkofoed Posts: 3
    Options
    Cucumber sounds nice and refreshing actually! Thanks for the idea!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I can't believe that it's hard to drink 64 ounces of water a day. It's not just that I LOVE water and, besides a cup of coffee in the morning, it's all I drink...

But here it is, by the numbers...

The average person is awake for about 16 hours a day. You should be drinking no less than 64 ounces of water a day. That would be drinking 4 ounces of water an hour. That's all. That is half a cup, 4 tablespoons, any way you want to put it, it is not to much to drink.

Let's put it a different way, maybe for the bar flies out there. A shot (standard size) is 1.25 ounces, so you only need to have about 3 shots an hour of water, and an extra one every 5th hour.

Present a valid arguement to that and I am willing to listen, but that can't be hard for anyone!!!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Water is pretty much all I drink anymore. I do drink two glasses of milk a day for the calcium. When I get tired of water I add a Crystal Light On the Go packet. They have so many different flavors and there are only 5 calories per serving. It is like drinking kool-aid. I love it. :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that it's hard to drink 64 ounces of water a day. It's not just that I LOVE water and, besides a cup of coffee in the morning, it's all I drink...

But here it is, by the numbers...

The average person is awake for about 16 hours a day. You should be drinking no less than 64 ounces of water a day. That would be drinking 4 ounces of water an hour. That's all. That is half a cup, 4 tablespoons, any way you want to put it, it is not to much to drink.

Let's put it a different way, maybe for the bar flies out there. A shot (standard size) is 1.25 ounces, so you only need to have about 3 shots an hour of water, and an extra one every 5th hour.

Present a valid arguement to that and I am willing to listen, but that can't be hard for anyone!!!

It can be hard if you just plain don't like water.

I prefer my homemade iced green tea. yum yum. I usually only drink water when I wake up in the middle of the night or am working out.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I buy those little 'straws' of Crystal Lite to put in my water when I need a bit more flavor, but I find that I only need to use a little. I can stretch one to 3 or 4 bottles or glasses of water.

If you're trying to avoid chemicals maybe a wedge of lemon, lime or orange in the water.

My wife likes to make what she calls "spa water" . She cuts up Cucumber and limes into a pitcher and fills it with water and keeps it in the fridge.

Also I find that if I take a bottle of water with me every time I get in the car, it's magically gone when I get to my destination.
  • debbiejo
    debbiejo Posts: 18
    Options
    I also do not drink enough water. I probably average 3 or 4 glasses a day. I love water (especially with ice cubes), but I also drink milk and coffee and yes an occasional diet soda at lunch... I love the bubbles and caffine... I also like the flavored waters, but a lot of them have high fructose sugars and high sodium content. Do these still count as water?

I am wondering what the health benefits are for the magic number of 8 glasses of water a day. I read one of the replies in this string which stated that it would flush out fat... if that is true that is great motivation for me! Are there any other heath factors related to drinking so much water? I need motivation too!

Thanks!!
  • bikegirl777
    Options
    Wow, cucumber and lime does sound like spa water! I'm totally going to try that!

I also like the Apple Cider Vinegar. I only add a tiny little spoonfull to a glass of water and it's different and refreshing. I just found a whole shelf of different flavors of vinegar at the Asian food store. I bought the Aloe Vinegar and I can tell I'm going to drinking it a lot in water. Thanks for the tip about straws too.