Fast Weight Gain After Surgury

Options
Im still new here, and learning my way around :wink: Has anyone had major surgery in the abdominal area and had major weight gain in that area? Ive been rockin this beer gut which didnt even come from beer, but just after my surgery it just started getting worse and worse :(:mad: I get so down and depressed that my once 140 lb body that could keep me going throughout my teaching day has now become a crutch where I hide under large t-shirts and have stored my dresses away in another room, just so I dont look at them :brokenheart: Please tell me im not the only one with this problem

Mandi

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    i have a scar that stretches from my belly button all the way down that is from an emergency appendectomy when i was a teenager. they sliced thru the muscles and that area became huge after that. what i've learned though is that working those muscles (when you can) has seriously had an effect on them. that's the last area i'm losing weight from, but i can still a difference with really working the lower abs. you can look online for exercises to work your lower abs... you can work your abs every other day, give them a day to rest.
  • camf1217
    camf1217 Posts: 11
    Options
    i had my appendix out and gained about 20 after surgery, although i lost about 20 so it all evened out. As for the "beer" gut, beer doesn't actually cause a gut, it is all the unhealthy and large quantities of food we usually consume while drinking.
  • cgraham79
    cgraham79 Posts: 16
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in June of 2008 and at the year anniversary of my surgery I had gained 20 lbs - in 1 year...where I had been at the same weight for years before that. I didn't change any of my eating habits, the weight just started to add up. I asked my doctor if this could have been b/c of the surgery and he said there are no studies that show that and he would think that normally it would be just the opposite but I tend to believe that b/c my gallbladder is not around to break down the fats larger quantities of it "stick". There is a supplemental bile salt you can take made specifically for people without gallbladders that is supposed to help break down fat since the gallbladder isn't around anymore. I have talked to several people who have had this type of surgery and many of them also gained weight. I'm going to try the bile salt and see if it helps.
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    09/1996 - c-section
    02/2001 - c section + tubal
    04/2009 - hysterectomy (luckily achieved laparoscopically)

My weight has been a roller coaster. This last procedure, I don't know what happened but I started losing a couple pounds after and once that happened, something snapped and I decided to put forth effort to lose weight.

The belly.....well that thing is WRECKED LOL I'm buying a new one :tongue: after I get down to goal weight!

Good Luck! And keep your head up!
  • Shakes
    Shakes Posts: 54
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in June of 2008 and at the year anniversary of my surgery I had gained 20 lbs - in 1 year...where I had been at the same weight for years before that. I didn't change any of my eating habits, the weight just started to add up. I asked my doctor if this could have been b/c of the surgery and he said there are no studies that show that and he would think that normally it would be just the opposite but I tend to believe that b/c my gallbladder is not around to break down the fats larger quantities of it "stick". There is a supplemental bile salt you can take made specifically for people without gallbladders that is supposed to help break down fat since the gallbladder isn't around anymore. I have talked to several people who have had this type of surgery and many of them also gained weight. I'm going to try the bile salt and see if it helps.

Well, part of my process was gallbladder removal. The other was to remove a tumor from my ovary. I still feel some way that this is because of weight gain. I have never broke over 140lb solid muscle...and after surgery Im struggling in what seems to be a long journey with no bright tunnel at the end. My job is to teach children. A art. A love. A challenge.To overcome their personal adolcence fears of self hatred and loathing....sadly, after surgery my liver is acting up. How is one supposed to be a responbile adult who guides children into a healthy dance sudio, while looking at herself as if she was a giant :huh: I feel so confused Im helping kids who look up to me, and Im not what they expect. Im not a perfect Barbie like I was to guide them.......Lost Iam. :( Help.... Friends dont understand. Family thinks Im crazy. I just wanna know there is something better for my failing body that will show support and care like when I was teaching. Its been 6 months since I have set foot in a dance studio, and its the scariest moment of my life