2 years today

Options
On March 12th, 2010 I overheard a co-worker talking about this site. I checked it out that day and have been here ever since. On that day I weighed ~285 pounds and had been 'dieting' for nearly six months with only a nine pound weight loss to show for it. Signed up on MFP, set my goal weight at 220 pounds, and reached it in a couple months.

Happy to report that I am still below my goal weight. MFP allows me to positively change my lifestyle on several levels as it gives me the guidelines I don't otherwise have when it comes to calorie accountability. Besides the weight loss I am in much better physical condition as I've incorporated daily work-outs into my everyday life. For example, I can do more chin-ups now at age 59 than at any other point in my life. That would not be happening were it not for discovering MFP two years ago today.

Bad news is that I had to come to realize that I can indeed put weight back on. I still have issues with what I call 'head hunger'; cravings and eating too much of something when not really hungry. I was lulled into a false sense of skinniness last fall and put 15 pounds back on while traveling and over the holiday period. I was kidding myself and figured that once all the holidays and trips were over I could jump back on the scales and would only be up four or five pounds. So I got back into reality and realize I have to work at proper eating and calorie accountability every day.

I don't know who is behind this website, how it come to be, or what makes it go, but I do want to say 'Thank You! for giving me the tool I needed to change my life.

P.S. One of the bucket list things that I got to do because of my weight loss was to do a free-fall jump with my son. It is a memory that I will take to my grave and I tear up just thinking about it as it's one of the 'Top Five' things I ever accomplished in my life. He had invited me to jump with him several times but I had become too heavy. It was one of the motivational things that pushed me while losing 60+ pounds doing the daily experience with MFP.

Replies

• Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats on 2 years.... For many of us, we share the same struggle you mentioned. Even when I see the scales move in the right direction, I have the occasional slip-up. It's certainly a lifestyle change and a huge adjustement when you have been used to eating whatever, whenever and not burning too many calories. I have made MFP a big part of my life now too and even though it is slow, I am seeing the good results that I want when I stick to it. It's great to hear stories like yours that will inspire me to keep going! Again, congrats on your success and keep it up!:drinker:
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Inspiring story! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :heart: Never stop logging. I can't wait for my 2 years in Aug.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You have done so very well! Two years is awesome!

The name of the founder of MFP is Mike. You can look him up and send him a message or even add him to your friends list!

I agree. This site is the best!
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I totally agree that this site is a life changer. I am a newby, but even though progress is slow, it goes a long way to keeping me honest and not pigging out like I always do. Reading inspiring stories like yours helps others like me to stick to it. So thanks for your story and helping me get thru another day.

Cheers Chris
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!