acai berry and colon cleanse?

Options
hiya people
ive been using my fitness pall and have lost 11lbs in 6 weeks and i have 24lbs left to go,i was discusssing weight loss with a customer at work and she recomended acai supplements. i thought nothing further off this until a facebook friend posted she was using holland an barret acai colon cleanse and it was really working.
i then went online to look and read the reviews and you can never tell whats real and whats fake,but the so called benefits sound pretty good.
i know that im not going to lose 46lbs in a month as some so bogusly claim but ive read that a colon cleanse can rid you off toxins,and help with things like ibs which i do infact suffer from
has anyone actually tried acai supplements or colon cleansers and did it work for you?
even if they didnt help with weight loss did you feel healthyer lighter, brighter? did you have any side affects?
im not going to give up on dieting just because i plan to take acai supplements but if they help even take an extra 2lbs of and feel better for it im willing to give them a go

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your body gets rid of toxins all by itself!
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump. Don't have any info for you, sorry, but I'd like to know for myself!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    People pay money to poop excessively?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this will not help you with fat loss.
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    I would not recommend it because your body doesn't need help getting rid of toxins. There is no scientific evidence that detoxing is necessary or effective. And your colon doesn't getting dirty so it doesn't need cleansing. The body is an amazing thing given the right food and exercise it runs itself.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I don't know about this product, and have never considered a "cleanse". But I see questions about acai, and it reminds me of an experience I had.

I started drinking acai juice several years ago, after learning about its high antioxidant properties, thus potentially preventing cancer or helping with anti-aging. That's what "the experts" were saying back then.

Then, a year or two ago, I was shopping, and the subject of weight loss came up with one of the sales associates. She mentioned that she'd been using acai, but that it wasn't working. Being completely out of loop on weight loss fads, I remember being bewildered, thinking, 'When did acai go from antioxidant to weight loss aid???'
  • EyeHeartCandii0912
    Options
    bump
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    think of this as snake oil. You have a liver for a good reason. Same thing with your pancreas. Don't get me wrong... acai, pomegranate etc is excellent when drank as a juice (as they are major league antioxidants) but anything else would be folly.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/antioxidant.htm
  • luvviebug
    luvviebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried an acai supplement and a colon cleanse I bought at walmart, and I lost some weight, without significant change to my diet or exercise. I had to stop when I got pregnant, though, and never really picked it up again (I'm horrible about taking pills unless they're for sleep, or I can take them WITH my sleeping pills (and I'm not on any sleeping pills at the moment)).

I'd suggest talking to your doctor before taking them, or at least checking labels and looking up ingredients online.

Hope this helps
  • jazzybean1
    jazzybean1 Posts: 113
    Options
    If you`re interested in a cleanse you could try one through a naturopath. They are much healthier than the regular ones that are marketed. I know a lot of people say that your body will rid itself of toxins, but that isnt always true. It`s supposed to, for sure but doeskin always happen, especially for people with intestinal difficulties or ibs. My body doesn't process toxins well and it shows up in the form of arthritis and psoriasis. I went to a naturopath and did a cleanse called selectra, you can also get it through some doctors. Its not harsh on your system and does not work like a laxative. It`s full of probiotics and amino acids and worked very well for me. Haven't done it in 6 years and haven't had a problem with my arthritis since:) Part of the cleanse is eating clean, so that helps for sure. If you don't want to see a naturapoth, then Google the wild rose cleanse, it`s mostly just eating clean and taking a couple supplements:) Really be careful which kind you get, some are just a harsh laxative and very hard on your system:)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Someone talking about their colon on my Facebook would be a reason to remove them from my Facebook. Especially if they were promoting some stupid cleanse.
  • chelsey202
    chelsey202 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!!

this is the acai berry/cleanse set I specifically tried:
    http://www.amazon.com/Berry-Extreme-Vital-Cleanse-Colon/dp/B0028DTA94/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

It was absolutely a waste of money. I've tried other diet pills that have worked relatively well (gained part of the weight back after stopping any of them, but I can look at these sort of pills objectively and tell you those are a mistake-- best I've found is OxyElite Pro because it completely killed my appetite so I could make the healthy choice easily). However, these acai berry/ colon cleanse pills did nothing at all for me, they smelled rancid, and the "call if you're unsatisfied" number on the back of the bottle goes to a "this line has been disconnected/out of service" message.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tried the acai berry and the colon cleanse that I got from a health food store. Neither one worked. The only thing that worked for me was changing my eating habits, and exercising. Years ago you could get metabolife with ephedra. That helped with weight loss but when you stop taking them you start gaining your weight back again.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    the ones that have been recomended are not an internet order scam or anything like that they are from a huge health shop chain that if i had a problem could go in and speak to an advisor not have to phone a disconected helpline number, though i dont know it that would speak for reputability
  • akkbatra
    akkbatra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Indian Naturopaths go for sterile plain water enema every week. I for myself found fresh Amla juice (Indian Gooseberry) - from about 100 gm berry. When its off season, I use Amla or Amlaki or Indian Gooseberry dry powder 1 tsf in 1 glass normal or lukewarm water. Both are equally effective in 3-4 hours after oral consumption early in the morning empty stomach. It's to be taken atleast after 6-7 hours of last meal. I don't have constipation but I do it especially next morning to cheat meal.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    the ones that have been recomended are not an internet order scam or anything like that they are from a huge health shop chain that if i had a problem could go in and speak to an advisor not have to phone a disconected helpline number, though i dont know it that would speak for reputability

Since you're obviously deadset on doing it, then do it. Just please be ready to spend a while on the toilet while your colon gets "cleansed."
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    i already spend alot of time on the toilet because i have ibs lol and apparently a colon cleanse can help with relieving symptoms of ibs? this is why im asking if anyone has tried it and it has worked?
    the weight loss (if any)would be an added benefit but im in no need for it to help with weightloss as im already loosong weight, im not looking for a miracle im looking for an ade
    apparently ibs can be caused by a build up off toxins (makes sense as i havnt always sufferd with it and it gets worse as i get older)
    my diets good im not overweight i dirnk plenty of water but still have tummy troubles doctors just prescribe tablets so surely a natural product that can help ibs is worth a shot that sticking man made chemicals down my neck?