Jogging/Running ?

Options
Hey everyone:))
Just wondering if anyone out there jogs or runs
and has lost lots of weight doing it. Looking for something
I can do outside with the new nice weather. Thanks ahead:)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I suspect there are quite a few runners here. Since I started running I've lost about 35 lbs but I'm also cycling, swimming, rowing and doing weights. Of them all my favourite is still going for a run on a nice day.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Running works for me. Though I must admit that it took me a long time to start liking it. I was a sprinter in high school and the idea of going from point A to point B vs just point A to point A was hard for me to adjust to. :)
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yeah I run consistently every week and almost every kilo i've lost is due to it.
    I run 5k's on the treadmill once a week trying to best my record each time. Currently at 28:45.
    I also run an endurance run once every two weeks - just get out and run as long as I can. Current personal best is 9k's in 59:55.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the things I do for exercise. Since I have started, my thighs have gotten smaller, my hips have gotten smaller, my waist has gotten smaller and my pooch has almost disappeared. All of those things I attribute to running, but my calves and lower thighs I attribute to my working on the arc trainer. My endurance started with the arc trainer and has only gotten better with running. I love running!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Started running 3 years ago. I've lost 83 (or so) lbs since then. I have to say it isn't ONLY running though that attributed to my weight loss but it did play a big part! Running, strength training and watching what I eat.

Good luck to you!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I started by walking but after a while the calories burned just werent fast enough so a slight jog gets the heart rate up enough to where it is well worth the extra effort:))
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Im thinking of maybe the Couch to 5k. SCARRRRY:)
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner training for a half marathon. Try it out, it's addicting and you'll learn to love it :)
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I :heart: RUNNING!!!! ....that is all :smile:

I had a lot of success with getting about 15 pounds off last summer with a lot of running...hoping I can do the same now :smile: Just getting back into it after about 8 months of no running :grumble:
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

PERFECT way to start. That's what I used. Just go slow and steady for run portions. Slow enough that you can still talk. Speed will come in time. Good luck!
  • danlostweight
    Options
    I never built up to steady jogging. I tried to for a while but always had to do the jog/walk thing.
  • mbertagnolli
    Options
    I lost 25-30 lbs running, at a time when I wasn't tracking anything. I find that once you get over the initial hump, it's a wonderful way to decompress and let the mind wander. It's been amazing for both my physical and mental health. Now I run half-marathons, trail races at a myriad of distances and trained for a marathon in Death Valley in December (which was cancelled when we arrived due to poor weather conditions). It's made a tremendous difference in my life!

As with anything, if you enjoy it, you'll be more likely to stick with it and reap the benefits! Good luck with the C25K~!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I did C25K, finished with my first 5K on January 1st. Now I'm about to do a 10K. I NEVER EVER EVER thought I would be a runner! If I can do it, you can too!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I'm down 25 lbs and running/jogging has DEFINITELY helped!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I alternate back and forth on the treadmill, I mostly jog though........I also alternate the incline too....
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 64 pounds - much of it due to running. I have run 3 marathons, 7 half marathons (my 8th coming up this Sunday) and countless other races. I really love it. It's a great way to burn calories, get in shape and relieve stress. I run early most mornings and it's, for me, the best way to start the day.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i jog/walk my knee is have a hard time with it so....doubt ill be running:embarassed:
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is an awesome start. I just graduated from it and I am soo in love with running right now. Try it you won't be disappointed and yes, I've noticed some slimming in my hips, legs, and calves. I don't measure but I am sure inches have come off.
  • blueeyes25s
    blueeyes25s Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love running! I started running last summer and lost 25lbs. Of course I was watching what I ate too. I noticed my body has definitely toned up and my legs are more muscluar in a good way :)

I started by interval training and slowly worked my way up to running more and walking less. I am now training for a half marathon and last Saturday I ran an entire 8 miles for the first time!

Once you get into it, it truely becomes addicting but in a good way :)

Good luck!
  • runfoodierun
    runfoodierun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    definitely, DO IT!
    One of my goals this year is to become a runner. AND slowly but surely, I am progressing. I started on indoor tracks. And am now jogging/walking a 5k I measured out in my neighborhood. (I live on a mountain btw, which means my roads are killer!)
    I plan to do a minimum of (8) 5k's this year. NOT to win, but to do. NO matter how I get across that line each time.
    I cant recommend it enough! Get out there! Best of luck!