Do i sluprge if i'm under my calories?

Options
I started my diet a few weeks ago but I for some reason can't eat enough calories esp when i do exercise! I don't know what i'm doing wrong, i eat break lunch and dinner and have snacks inbetween. What should i do? My calorie diet is 1600! I honestly thought this diet thing would be hard i would be starving and going over my limit but its exact oppisite lol! thanks in advance!

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try to get your remaining calories as close to 0 as possible. My go-to is peanut butter and celery when I have a lot of calories left.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Eat if you can, but definitely healthy stuff. Your body needs it. Watch how you react, though. Some people can eat late at night, but not everybody can. Maybe try to up your breakfast and lunch a tad.
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    add a recovery drink after ur workouts or a protein bar.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase your diet throughout the day - adding some more protein and good carbs? I wouldn't splurge, so to speak, with anything unhealthy. Keep it smart.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Eat if you can, but definitely healthy stuff. Your body needs it. Watch how you react, though. Some people can eat late at night, but not everybody can. Maybe try to up your breakfast and lunch a tad.

I'm so over this "you can't eat at night" myth.

Please be wary of all the advice that people on these forums give you. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of when you eat it.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    True that eating at night does not cause weight gain, but a lot of people (I for one) wake up feeling bogged down and overall crappy if I eat late at night. Everyone is different.

Please be wary of all the advice that people on these forums give you. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of when you eat it.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with a little splurge if you've got extra calories, either :) I had 2 donuts tonight, and still came in 200 cals under my goal!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes do extra work out time so that I can splurge on something I've been craving. I honestly don't deny myself anything, because I know I could never cut anything out of my diet for the rest of my life though. The point is to try and get your numbers as close to 0 as possible, so yeah, go on and eat something special if you want it and you can fit it in your goals for the day.
  • ashley_d78
    ashley_d78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

calories do not know time :) your body DOES know weather they are healthy ones or not though!
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options

calories do not know time :) your body DOES know weather they are healthy ones or not though!

What Ashley says is right! ^^^^^^^^^ eat when you are hungry. I NEVER EAT BACK MY EXERCISE CALORIES THOUGH! at least not while I am cutting weight.
  • KristieWade
    Options
    True that eating at night does not cause weight gain, but a lot of people (I for one) wake up feeling bogged down and overall crappy if I eat late at night. Everyone is different.

It actually really depends on the body type on whether you can eat at night or not. The rule of thumb is to not eat anything after 5:00. I work a schedule right now where I can't follow that guideline but at one time I did not eat after 5:00, not only did I not gain weight over night, but most of the time I lost weight during the night. Sometimes I just stayed the same. The reason this "myth" is around is because at night your body slows down this includes your metabolism. If your metabolism is slow you will not burn calories the same as during the day...that is also why we need a breakfast in the morning. It jumps starts the metabolism. To say that the rule of thumb is a myth is the same as saying that the benefits of eating a good well balanced breakfast is a myth. Either way whether it be eating after 5:00 or not eating a breakfast I have noticed that brain function is not as good in the morning, it takes longer for me to feel like eating in the morning and generally feel like a freight train hit me. and Yes I have to eat dinner after 5:00 so I counteract that with exercise before bed (which you aren't suppossed to do either). As far as the calories go. Try to eat healthy, but if you find you have extra calories left over and you want pizza instead of a salad..then by all means splurge!!!!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all of my calories, but if it's too late in the evening I might not. I can't sleep very well with food on my stomach!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I started my diet a few weeks ago but I for some reason can't eat enough calories esp when i do exercise! I don't know what i'm doing wrong, i eat break lunch and dinner and have snacks inbetween. What should i do? My calorie diet is 1600! I honestly thought this diet thing would be hard i would be starving and going over my limit but its exact oppisite lol! thanks in advance!

Yanno What???? If I don't make it? I don't sweat it! If I have nuts in the house, or something easy to shove down to get close to "0" great! If not? I'm not losing gonna lose sleep over it. As long as your losing, and preferably gaining muscle, and you feel good and healthy and are proud of yourself, than at the end of the day.....sleep tight. You'll be fine.
  • mes1119
    Options

It actually really depends on the body type on whether you can eat at night or not. The rule of thumb is to not eat anything after 5:00. I work a schedule right now where I can't follow that guideline but at one time I did not eat after 5:00, not only did I not gain weight over night, but most of the time I lost weight during the night. Sometimes I just stayed the same. The reason this "myth" is around is because at night your body slows down this includes your metabolism. If your metabolism is slow you will not burn calories the same as during the day...that is also why we need a breakfast in the morning. It jumps starts the metabolism. To say that the rule of thumb is a myth is the same as saying that the benefits of eating a good well balanced breakfast is a myth. Either way whether it be eating after 5:00 or not eating a breakfast I have noticed that brain function is not as good in the morning, it takes longer for me to feel like eating in the morning and generally feel like a freight train hit me. and Yes I have to eat dinner after 5:00 so I counteract that with exercise before bed (which you aren't suppossed to do either). As far as the calories go. Try to eat healthy, but if you find you have extra calories left over and you want pizza instead of a salad..then by all means splurge!!!!

I'm in maintenance mode currently. I eat most of my calories at night, after my work out. I sleep late in the morning and go to bed late at night. I don't gain weight and I have lost 13 pounds following this method.

Please explain to me why my metabolism "slows down" at night?
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to not eat anything after 5:00. I work a schedule right now where I can't follow that guideline but at one time I did not eat after 5:00, not only did I not gain weight over night, but most of the time I lost weight during the night.

I've never heard this rule of thumb and I've seen no scientific evidence that supports it.

You definitely didn't gain weight overnight unless you sleep walk and forgot you got up to eat food. Simple thermodynamics there.. if you didn't add mass to your mouth and swallow it, it's impossible for that mass to show up on the scale. On the other hand, your body burns calories just by existing. Maybe not enough overnight to show up on the scale, but you definitely lost weight while sleeping.
  • mes1119
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to not eat anything after 5:00. I work a schedule right now where I can't follow that guideline but at one time I did not eat after 5:00, not only did I not gain weight over night, but most of the time I lost weight during the night.

I've never heard this rule of thumb and I've seen no scientific evidence that supports it.

You definitely didn't gain weight overnight unless you sleep walk and forgot you got up to eat food. Simple thermodynamics there.. if you didn't add mass to your mouth and swallow it, it's impossible for that mass to show up on the scale. On the other hand, your body burns calories just by existing. Maybe not enough overnight to show up on the scale, but you definitely lost weight while sleeping.

thank you.
  • Ceej17
    Ceej17 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Wow 5pm is way to early I don't even get done with work by that time lol!
  • Ceej17
    Ceej17 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mes1119, I try to not eat past eight pm but that's not because of whats being talked about. I have just realized that if i eat late i get heart burn and i hateeeeeeeee heart burn lol!
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options

21321798205768230_B1kCE7Og_f.jpg

It doesn't matter when you eat. You will actually benefit from having some food in your stomach before you go to bed, because you'll be going so long without eating. If I have extra calories, I'll pull some girl scout cookies out of my freezer and have a treat :)
  • Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    I think the only point of the "eating late at night" myth is to say that while you're burning off everything you eat during the day just going about your life, you're stationary at night and thus it would seem as though you're burning less calories. All bodies are different and different things work for everybody. There are healthy tips people can give you but no 100% guarantee "rule of thumb", in my opinion.