Running Outside

Options
I am fairly new to running in general, but I am super new to running outside. There are a couple questions I have for those who are more experienced.

-What do you do with your stuff? (keys, phone, water bottle). My exercise clothes do not have pockets!

-Does anybody know of any neat gadgets that help you track your distance, that are reasonably priced. Unfortunately I do not have an ipod or smart phone for the apps.

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like a hand-held water bottle that has an adjustable hand strap and a small pocket. One brand is Nathan... you can get them online or at some sporting goods stores. I think I got mine at REI. They have different sizes - I have a couple of different sizes that I switch between depending on how long my run is.

Belts are also handy but they can takes some getting used to. Again, the Nathan brand has some... there are several other brands that have a combination of pouches and water bottle holsters.

Another belt option is the SPI Belt or the Energy belt. They are thin belts with one stretchy pouch that can hold quite a bit without weighing you down. I can using get in my iPhone, my key , chapstick and a gel or two. Academy Sports has these, but you can also order online.

A quick search in Amazon for running accessories will provide a lot of ideas.

Good luck!
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use a belt to hold my bits. There are so many options, so just experiment.
    As for measuring your distance plenty of websites like RunKeeper Dailymile etc have maps to calculate your distance with, you don't need any special equipment.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    i usually just run around the neighborhood so not much needed.. but I bought a sport band at walmart to hold my cell phone and I use Endomundo to track my runs , and I carry my shuffle for music.
  • mnstuebs
    mnstuebs Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't bring anything with me except my phone which carries my tunes and tracks my run via "mapmyrun" app
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use a SPI Belt for my keys and phone or I just use an arm strap for my phone. I carry one of those tiny 8 oz bottles of waters. As far as tracking your distance goes---I have no clue if you don't have a smart phone. If you did, I was going to recommend a few apps but just a question here---do you have an ipod Nano?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    They make belts or wallets that strap to your laces. I love my Garmin 305. About $100.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I agree on the Nathan bottles - I have one that I use on my longer runs. I do have a fuel belt that I use on my really long runs as well.
    I use a Garmin 305 Forerunner to track my time/distance. It's a bit pricey, but there are less expensive ones out there. Do some research on Amazon or Runnersworld.com to find one that works well and fits your budget. If you know the distance you're running - like a marked course or you can plot out a route ahead of time and calculate your distance with something like Google Maps, you can just use a cheap stop watch and calculate your pace from that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can use a fuel belt to carry keys, cell phone, water etc I installed a keyless entry system on my front door so I don't need to carry keys and I don't typically carry water for runs of less that 1.5 hrs and have an armband for carrying my cell. You should also carry ID with you - I have a RoadID bracelet with emergency numbers, blood type etc.

For tracking distances and routes you could look at something along the lines of a Garmin Forerunner - you can find some great deals on the 305 - it's an older model & a bit big but it's reliable and has a nice big display. (Timex, Suunto & other companies make GPS/HRM units too)
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    For a sport that is technically 'free', it sure costs alot to be properly equipped!!

My running pants/shorts have a small pocket where I keep my key and drivers license. I also have an Underarmor top that has a pocket about the same size.
    I like to carry my water bottle. I use the Fuel Belt because I like the strap that I can put my hand through and it is molded and fits my palm nicely. I just have a personal issue with wearing water bottles around my waist. For my long runs, I have 'planted' water bottles along my route before I started running!!! Runners do strange things!
    I wear my Ipod in an armband that goes around my bicep.
    I also use the Nike+ system to track my stats on my IPod.
    Hope that helps!! Good Luck!!!
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For your stuff...there are a lot of little key pockets that attach to your shoes and ankle. As for your water bottle, unless you are running 5+ miles, or it is 90+ degrees, you really don't need one as long as you are hydrating through out the day.

If you want the cheapest way to track you distance is to use www.mapmyrun.com. You can find routes in your area that other runners use or you can map you own route. I used this method (along with my trusty Timex watch) for 2+ years. I would say it is pretty accurate and best of all....it's free. You can also set up a free account and track all your workouts.

Just remember to have fun! The best part about running outside is the scenery.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i just bought a nathan trail 2 hydration belt and felt like a goober running with it, but it's perfect for a long run. i don't need water for less than an hour, but for when it's hot i just might buy a nathan handheld bottle as well.

otherwise, i just run holding my iphone (music, and my nike running app to track where i am).

can you get a smartphone? i think they're so much more helpful than just a GPS watch. if you are prone to getting lost i don't think the GPS watch has an actual map on it? (correct me if i'm wrong). i think the watches just track calories/mileage/pace.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I tie my key to my shoe, have a Road ID bracelet, plant some H2O bottles (or circle past my porch and do some 1-3 mile loops)....if you can't swing a garmin, go on mapmyrun.com - and you can figure out how far your ran...with that said I have a garmin and love it....was a 'treat' for doing my first Half.
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    +1 for Endomondo for smart phones. I use it mostly for cycling but it has walking and running modes as well. I use the pro version that cost a whopping 49 cents.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I run on the loop in front of my house (0.3mi) but I have a Garmin 405 that tracks my mileage and can download my route when I get back. It also pairs to an HRM strap to track calories, etc.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i put my house key (or car key) on my hair tie in my my hair. i use mapmyrun.com (before or after i run) to determine my distance. once you know your normal course or courses outside, you will know how far you ran without having to enter each run. the website is easy to use and you can just check your run without registering (enter anonymous run).

good luck!
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of solutions. I use both interchangeably.

One is the fuel belt. I am not in favor of any particular brands. It is what ever YOU like. I don't think it is that difficult to get used to. Go to a running store and look what they have.

Second option have the key you need either in a lanyard around your neck - inside your jacket or tee. Or, have them tied in your lace. I think there are several armbands for smartphones, and then use a handheld bottle. If I run less than an hour - an hour and a half - I don't bring water. For my longer runs (when I train for marathon) I am using a backpack from Nathan. I have tried a number of different ones - and this was what I really like.

I have both a smartphone and a Garmin GPS (you can get other brands as well) when I run and bike. The problem with the smart phones is if you use the apps - the smart phone will often drain the battery fast and you don't want to find yourself without battery in your phone if you need it.

Just my humble opinion
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tie my key to the draw string on my running shorts and tuck it right inside the band so it is not bothering me while I move. I am very new to running so I am yet to see the need for a water bottle so I am not able to speak to that. Good luck and have fun :happy: