Wanting advice on gaining strength

Options
Rhea30
Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
Well the title says it all basically. I would appreciate if anyone has any advice or tips on the best way to gain upper body strength.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Rhea30
    Options
    Bump
  • kmp411
    kmp411 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Start weight training
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Are you currently lifting weights? What kind of workouts are you doing?
  • Rhea30
    Options
    Currently just some push ups. I haven't focused much on strength but that is my new focus since I want to get stronger so was just asking since there might always be something out there that I may not know of that someone else does :)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Google Stronglifts 5x5 and start from there.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Buy some 5ib weights to start. Start with three basic strength exercises: 1) bicep curls, 3 sets of 12 to 15 curls 2) military presses over ur head, 3 sets of 12 to 15 3) tricep extensions, 3 sets of 12 to 15. Rest 2 mins in between. Do that three to four times a week. That will get u started. Biggest strength training tip...stay committed for three weeks. After three weeks it should become a habit. As it gets easier, add some more weight. Once u get up to ten pound weights or maybe 12..lower repetitions to 10 to 12 instead of 12 to 15. Lifting heavier weights for shorter reps will build strength . Go from there...good luck!
  • nlbress
    nlbress Posts: 2
    Options
    I'd say weight training and Pilates to help your core. Like others said, 5's are good to start with...
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things. (Heavy being relative to your strength level). If you don't belong to a gym, I'd probably do so. It's going to be the lowest cost for the most equipment to start with.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The best way i have gained any muscle is lifting heavy...for me lots of reps with light weight has done nothing! I do a metobolic arm workout with 20lbs and have seen awesome results! 3-4 sets each arm
    10 bicep curls
    10 swings
    10 bent over shoulder fly
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Search Google for Stronglifts 5x5 and do it. Trust me it's a wonderful program. No, you won't turn into a bulky female bodybuilder that looks like a man unless you start taking steroids and lifting . Your body doesn't have the right hormones to build the same amount of muscle as a man. You should read these.
    http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womensfitnesstopics/a/womenmyths_2.htm|
    http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-for-women/
    Here is a link to the Stronglifts 5x5 program.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    Put in your email and you will recieve a book which I recommend you read about the first 60 pages of it.
    You shouldn't be scared of lifting hard and heavy. Women's strength training actually needs the same approach as for men.
    No, you're are NOT going to turn into a muscle-bound bodybuilder unless you are a genetic freak, taking male hormones, or steroids. If you ever feel like you are starting to get too muscular, just lower the weights and never raise it higher.
    I recommend you start with the bar on all lifts except for deadlift. You can always do the lifts with dumbells or do partial reps slowly building your range of motion until you are strong enough to lift the bar.
    And please don't be scared of free-weights. They are much better for you than machines. They are actually safer. The machines force you into un-natural positions that over time will ruin your joints. Compound lifts will burn more calories, increase GH levels, and build more strength& muscle. Don't be scared about them being dangerous. You should always use a power rack for everything except for deadlifting. The power rack will stop the weight from falling and hurting you. You can do your Squats, Bench, Rows, and overhead presses all in the rack. If you need to, get someone to spot you and critique your form.
    Great Luck.
  • Rhea30
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight and I'm going to google that Stronglift!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it was Jackie-Joyner Kersee who said the athlete's true strength lies in his/her core. Build that core!!!

There is always the debate of low reps/high weight versus high reps/low weights. I am a a fan of the latter. I love going low on the weights and pushing through to max reps. I honestly believe this not only builds strength but also helps in injury prevention. I teach/coach at the high school level, and I once had a football player who could bench 450 challenge me with who could do more push-ups in a single set. I smoked him by pumping out 60. :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Google Stronglifts 5x5 and start from there.

The prize goes to this brilliant person!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think it was Jackie-Joyner Kersee who said the athlete's true strength lies in his/her core. Build that core!!!

There is always the debate of low reps/high weight versus high reps/low weights. I am a a fan of the latter. I love going low on the weights and pushing through to max reps. I honestly believe this not only builds strength but also helps in injury prevention. I teach/coach at the high school level, and I once had a football player who could bench 450 challenge me with who could do more push-ups in a single set. I smoked him by pumping out 60. :)

strength =/= endurance
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and make sure you're eating enough, especially protein.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, bench etc heavy relative to your strength.. pull ups and chin ups!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Buy some 5ib weights to start. Start with three basic strength exercises: 1) bicep curls, 3 sets of 12 to 15 curls 2) military presses over ur head, 3 sets of 12 to 15 3) tricep extensions, 3 sets of 12 to 15. Rest 2 mins in between. Do that three to four times a week. That will get u started. Biggest strength training tip...stay committed for three weeks. After three weeks it should become a habit. As it gets easier, add some more weight. Once u get up to ten pound weights or maybe 12..lower repetitions to 10 to 12 instead of 12 to 15. Lifting heavier weights for shorter reps will build strength . Go from there...good luck!

bump