Running for the first time

Options
So tonight is the night ... i am going to start training for my Zombie 5k in October after work (i've never run a day in my life). I've got the Couch to 5k app on my phone and i am ready to go! The time change means it is lighter later so i have no more excuses! My running trail is next to the ocean so i'll have something pretty to look at while i huff and puff.

Ahhhh i'm scared!!!! :sad:

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You can do it...... just take it slow. You can build up speed later, so work on just the motion of running right now........ enjoy it!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I recently started running for the first time too. I'm useless, it's so tough, but I feel it working.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    YOU can do it... I just downloaded the app on my phone and today was day 1 for me as well :smile: I had to stop and walk a few times during the jogging.... BUT... I finished!!! Whew! And believe me... if I can do it, YOU can do it!! Good luck and keep me posted!! Feel free to add me as a friend too! :flowerforyou:
  • shoffmann23
    shoffmann23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started tonight too! I also had no more excuses because of the time change. We are getting ready to sign up for a 5K Memorial Day, so keep up the good work and lets all stay motivated!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Ocean view?! We have a prairie dog park. Not kidding... wish I was. <sigh> Enjoy and best wishes on your new journey. :)
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey! I did my very first run today as well... training for the Zombie run in September!!
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My son started spring soccer tonight and the park he practices at has a mile lap around the park..marked each 1/4 mile. I sat there and thought "well, you've been wanting to take a shot at running..now's a good time as any!"..I had already walked 2 miles in 28 mins so I was warmed up. :) I managed to jog a whole 1/4 mile before stopping..not much BUT it was a 1/4 more of a mile than I could run 2 months ago! :)
  • SkinnyBitchMode19
    SkinnyBitchMode19 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the motivation!!

I successfully completed day one of Couch to 5k!! And it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be! But damn are my thighs sore today!!

How did all the others who were starting do??!!
  • amberinco
    amberinco Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm doing W2D2 (wk 2 day 2) today!

I do the workouts 4 times a week, but in between day 2 and 3 I just go for a brisk walk or do a kick boxing or Zumba class.

I'm finding myself to be hungrier, but burning less.

None the less, I'm excited for today!

Just remember to start slow. This is my third time starting the program. I went too fast too soon and injured myself TWICE!

Hydrate and stretch!

I can't wait to hear how everyone is doing!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Good luck on your training! Keep hydrated and STRETCH! High^5 :flowerforyou:
  • winniss
    winniss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All i ever did was walk 30mins a day, then after a few months some elliptical.... don't over do yourself, just remain consistent!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared.The first few times will be tough , but you will feel amazing afterwards!!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your c25k! I'm due to start week 4 any day now (I'm sick or I'd already have dove in head first!) But I actually just completed my first 5k on sunday! I had to walk a lot of it, but I was SO excited to finish! As for the soreness...it can be pretty rough for a couple weeks...last week was the first time that I wasnt incredibly sore the next day after runs....so it totally gets better! I'm so jealous that you've got a daily ocean view for c25k! Right now I'm doing it on the treadmill until I head to florida! That's when the LONG 20-30 min runs start, so I'm excited I'll get that little extra push lol. Just keep at the program...it's only been 3 weeks for me so far, but I absolutely love it so far!
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    good luck and I'm so jealous that your running trail is next to the ocean :glasses:
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!!!!
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I just started it too. I'm on W1D3. So far so good. My thighs were super sore, and my hamstrings super tight so I did a LOT of stretching! I just kept telling myself "go slower, go slower, speed comes later" so I feel really lucky not to have injured myself yet!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oops , just realised you already did it!!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'll trade you my corn fields and soy bean fields for your ocean.

You'll be fine! Welcome to the club.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You can do it, the timing will come just enjoy the view while you are moving along the beach. Best part of running is the sites. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did the c25k also. Loved it and am not training for a half marathon. I've also signed up for a zombie run in October. Mins is in So. Cal. Wonder if we're running the same race :smile: