a question for us "top heavy" ladies

Options
2»

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lots & lots of duct tape!! They sell it in pink & zebra striped now!!
  • starshine420
    Options
    or instead of strapless, get one that has clear straps, I used to have one of those
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Same problem, I was a DD in high school and never looked back, but one day I'm going to have nice, toned shoulders and I'd like to show them off. I love Lane Bryant bras but haven't tried the strapless ones. I tried one with the clear straps but they just weren't strong enough - stretched out after a couple tries.

Don't know why I don't have buff shoulders now, lugging these puppies around all the time!?! :ohwell:
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    Yes, I have some dd's (look to the left), for the tube dresses a strapless bra, they even have the clear strap bras. As or the halter tops mmmm wasn't bold enough to try it.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i agree with getting a bra with detachable straps so that you can make a halter. I got one from victorias secret that is designed like a strapless bra (aka thicker, wider band) but comes with detachable, changeable regular straps and clear straps. Personally I prefer detaching one strap completely and using the second to make a halter bra. It's WAAAYY worth the money ladies!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Go to a GOOD bra shop (I'm in Australia so don't know where to send you) and see if they can find a strapless bra that works for you. Personally I'm not a fan of halter bras, they hurt my neck (actually I haven't tried bras, I'm basing this opinion of trying on halter bathers, they don't work for me) but if you find them comfy then you will be set.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would love to wear halters but I CANNOT go braless and it's hard to find ones that will work. Being bigger than 38G is hard like that!!!
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    IMO, you start with the "Pencil Test." Place a pencil against your torso just underneath your bare boob, then let go of the pencil with your hand. If the pencil -

- falls to the floor, you're good to go braless or wear any halter top you please.

- stays in place until you start walking & moving around, and then it falls or threatens to fall, you can probably wear a halter top. You may want to get one of those convertibleble/strapless bras to wear underneath, and you should definitely test-wear it around the house a while before wearing it out into the world.

- stays exactly where it is; regardless of whether you walk around a bit, lift your arms over your head, do jumping jacks, or shimmy like your sister Kate; you probably should not wear a halter top, even with a convertible/strapless bra, or (if you're at all like me) a 1950's era "Longline" bra, or (if you're quite a bit like me) a Victorian corset. :)

- is less than 5" long, and you cannot see it while it is in "testing position" - fugeddaboudit.

(Me, I could flunk this test using a typewriter.... :)

*snickers* I am with you with the damn typewriter!!

Oh. When I was skinnier and say, 42 G, I could get away with a corset that held my boobs. Now, at 46 J (almost down to an I), there's nothing that will work short of cement and a tank top underneath to hide the straps.

And if you are going to do duct tape for a bra (don't laugh I did it), make sure you get something padded to cover your sensitive bits. From experience.
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for all the help....I'm a 36dd....and its hard but you ladies gave me some good advice!
  • blueyeb
    blueyeb Posts: 85
    Options
    Try bravissimo.com, they're for large chests and they have a clothing line called pepperberry which make all the cute tops & dresses to fit your boobs. My personal favorite is Freya, I'm a 30GG but they carry different brands and I believe up to a K cup. It is in the U.K. and a bit pricy but it's near impossible to find any larger cups in the states.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have 38DDs that are more like Es now with BFing, but they've always been really great to handle and actually don't even look that big (IMO) I've never had any issues with wearing strapless or halter tops (provided I don't plan on running or jumping around). The suggestions put forth do sound like really good ideas though!
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wear halter tops all the time, I love a good deep plunge convertible bra. Convertible bras are what makes it. As for going smaller, I would personally not. If you invest in a good quality convertible bra you will be fine. I use the clear straps for strapless tops and dresses and I use the normal strap for the halter option. Works like a charm I have DDD/E cups and have never once popped out, had great lift, nice cleavage and so on.
  • kendra11c
    kendra11c Posts: 11
    Options
    victoria secret has some great halter dressses with built in supprt!
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    I feel ya, I have the same problem, I'm scared to wear them, afraid it won't look right because I'm top heavy, I would love to wear one, their so cute.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm only a DD, and never dared to dream of wearing a halter, until someone knowledgeable set me up with a longline bra.

Get yourself a good one with a full, constructed cup and boning. Spend some money on it, get it fitted professionally. You can comfortably go strapless in it.

Strut with confidence!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Layne Bryant do have some nice tops
    My bra size is 46 DDD so I should know
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Victoria Secret builds tanks (and some really cute halters) with a built in Ipex bra. Because it attached to the shirt straps it lifts the girls up better than a separate strapless bra.

They're on the more expensive size... but for the top-heavy lady--like myself-- totally worth it.

I agree... I have a few of these... Some of them don't have a thick bra built but more of a shelf bra but I can adjust how tight I make it to give the girls an extra boost. I have a pic on my profile wearing a blue one. In that pic I'm a DD. Since then I've gotten a bit smaller. Good luck.