another help me break my stall thread...

Options
ok so I started exercising december 2011 not really watching what I ate, but getting moving. In January of 2012 I started MFP and was consistently losing 2lbs/ week for the first 5 weeks, now for the last 3 I've been stalled out at 9lbs lost. Those first 5 weeks I was eating 1200-1300 net and Last week I upped it to 1500 net. I'm starting to get frustrated, any input appreciated. (I'm going to make my diary public so you can see it). I exercise daily at least 30 minutes with the odd day off here and there. Doing cardio, strength/ weights. Been doing JM ripped in 30, abs, weightlifting, and TRX once weekly.

Replies

• viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    wow I guess it really is a stumper! lol
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Rather than letting this thread get buried, I'll try to help you out. At the very least I bump'd the thread so others can give you better advice.

Try limiting carbs from chocolate, soda, and items like enriched breads or potatoes. And replace them with whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.

Also I've heard that taking a few days off from exercise can help you break through a plateau. Make sure you get back to it though and don't slack off letting the days bleed into one another, and before you know it you haven't exercised in 2 weeks.

Just try changing things up. Ultimately you should break through it, but it wouldn't hurt to try different things to jump start it.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    Have you tried adding up the net calories for a week and calories burned to see if you are getting a 3500 deficit to lose a pound?

Worth a shot:))
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You can also try changing your macro settings to 40% carbs, 30% healthy fats and 30% protein and see if that helps. I found the MFP settings for carbs to be too high for me personally and do better with a higher protein diet.

Also, make sure to keep an eye on your sodium levels and sugar levels. It's okay to go over on sugar if it's from natural sources like fruit but it's probably best to try and cut back on processed food with lots of sugar.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding up the net calories for a week and calories burned to see if you are getting a 3500 deficit to lose a pound?

how do you do that? I was looking at mine the other day to see where i am going wrong and it shows my daily totals with exercise... do i just go by that and then look a that the actual calories i ate were?
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options

how do you do that? I was looking at mine the other day to see where i am going wrong and it shows my daily totals with exercise... do i just go by that and then look a that the actual calories i ate were?

Go to the top of the page: go to settings and then goals.
    Find the amount of calories you burn from daily calories. Take the deficit of calories for a day and add calories burned from exercise. Once you hit 3500 calories, you should lose a pound. This will possibly take up to a week or more depending on how many calories you're under for the day and how many calories you burn during exercise. Hope this helps!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing a lot of days where you have very large amounts of remaining calories, but also days where you have very large amounts of eating way too many calories. Try to even this out so that your remaining calories are very close to zero.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The last couple weekends we have gone out, so those are the really high days. The main day I have a big deficit is Thursdays as I do my TRX class and cardio and there's no way I can eat back all those calories. The deficit is definately over 3500. Thanks for the advice thus far, I will for sure keep all of it in mind, and keep it coming :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thanks! it makes sense.. i think my problem is b/c i have pretty much no wiggle rooms with my calories. I can only loose .5 a lb a week max without going under 1200 calories. so with that i think i also do too much up and down. i am over one day then under the next. I find sometimes 1252 cals is just not enough especially if you don't exercise... i am hungry then i make bad choices... I think i have to get into the mid set that i have no wiggle room, so be good! There are days that i have only used 300 cals by lunch and then exercise and need to eat a ton of cals left after then i go over for some reason later in the evening.... or i will think i spaced it out good but a hr after dinner i am hungry still , so i eat, even if it's healthy it will put me over...so hard to get things straightened out! i looked at my last week and i need to have 1750 cals to loose .5 lbs and i only had 1500 b/c too many over days.....
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    maybe try tracking your sugar and sodium for a week or two? when I started tracking my sugar intake, i was horrified to see how much sugar i was taking in! that can make a big difference for me. I just started zig-zagging my calories, which seemed to help break up a 3-4 week plateau...most days i eat a smaller amount of calories, with two "spike" days intermittent. I also try and keep my workouts different so my body doesn't have too much time to adjust to them...