No Diet!! Clean Eating...

Options
jbella99
jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
Is there anyone who is not dieting but rather adopting a clean eating lifestyle?

I am looking for some friends who are following a clean eating diet. People who know the basics and want to keep each other on track and accountable.

Replies

• magtize
    magtize Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your clean eating is but feel I do it.I don't say the D word.when you say that it means you are deprived of something.I always try to say eating healthy.I stay with chicken fish fresh fruits and veggies.If you want to be friends Im hear
    magtize
  • jenniferwithmk
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 20 years and know it keeps me lean, but I need to eat less processed foods...so yes I'm on board with you.
  • jbella99
    Options
    For anyone who doesn;t know what clean eating is here are the basic principles:

1. Choose whole, natural foods and seek to eliminate or minimize processed foods.
    Processed foods are anything in a box, bag, can, or package, and although there are always a few exceptions to the rule (like a bag of fresh green beans), the majority of your foods should be fresh.

2. Choose unrefined over refined foods.
    While it may not be possible all the times, you can up your intake of whole grains like brown rice, millet, amaranth, and quinoa. Beans and legumes are also important. Clean sugars include honey, maple syrup, and dehydrated sugar cane juice.

3. Include some protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal.
    Most of us typically do well with carbohydrates and fat, but we often lack protein, especially in the early part of the day, like at breakfast and lunch. Protein is an important muscle-builder, and it can also help curb your appetite. When eaten throughout the day, it keeps us feeling full longer. Be aware of the kinds of meals you put together and space out your protein.

4. Watch out for fat, salt, and sugar.
    This is easier than you think, particularly if you’ve cut out processed foods, which are responsible for most of our excess calories and high levels of fat, sugar, and salt. Clean foods are usually naturally low in all of these ingredients.

5. Eat five to six small meals throughout the day.
    This usually pans out into three main meals and two or three hefty snacks. Eating this way prevents you from skipping meals and overeating. It also keeps your blood sugar levels steady so energy doesn’t lag.

6. Don’t drink your calories.
    High calorie drinks like specialty coffees and soft drinks, on average, tack on an extra 400 to 500 calories a day. Choose water first, or my personal favorite, unsweetened tea (any flavor). Other clean drinks: low-fat or skim milk and 100 percent fruit juice diluted with sparkling water.

7. Get moving.
    Regular physical activity is a must for many reasons. Not only does it decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and help you burn more energy at rest, it keeps your heart, lungs, and bones healthy and strong
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You should check out the groups...there is a clean eating group that i joined. I want to incorporate more clean eating into my diet but i don't think i'm there yet. Trying to curb my soft drink habit, but in my oxygen fat blasting food guide i made the spicy ginger tea it's pretty good and next time i will not add too much lemon.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    Yes, I am a clean eater. I would love to connect with other clean eaters. I find many people on here still eat A LOT of processed foods.
  • donnaferraiuolo
    donnaferraiuolo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i am working on getting as healthy as i can..add me!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

I rinse my pop tarts before consumption. Clean as.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to two things. TV and junk food. I try not to buy processed foods but when they make their way into the house I can't seem to resist. Crackers and chips call to me. My husband buys stuff I would not keep because we have 4 kids and we share the grocery shopping. I find it impossible to ignore these things. Like the other day I came home from work and there were Doritos and chocolate chip cookies. I ate them too. :o(

Do you think its possible to "detox" from processed foods and how long do you think it take to be able to resist? Cold turkey? OR 5% course correction? I just don't know how to do it. I do ok for a while then seem to fall off the wagon.

I am a clean eater wanna be.
    Deb
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Even eating clean you are dieting - eating certain foods to help you lose weight and good if you also eat the same way to maintain your weight but with higher calories. So dieting can mean eating less calories of whatever diet you choose.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty eater!
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I don't typically "diet" and eat only natural unprocessed foods. Feel free to add me as a friend.

One caveat, I am in a weight loss competition until Friday, and have cut myself down to 100 g of carbs a day... because of that I've added some sugar free snacks to my diet so that I can at least get some sweets in. After Friday, those will be cut out too because I'll get to eat fruit again!
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have aspirations of being a clean eater. Thanks for posting the guidelines. Feel free to add me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

I rinse my pop tarts before consumption. Clean as.

^^^ this
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Do you think its possible to "detox" from processed foods and how long do you think it take to be able to resist? Cold turkey? OR 5% course correction? I just don't know how to do it. I do ok for a while then seem to fall off the wagon.

Deb

This is setting yourself up for failure. Cutting out foods totally that you love is only going to cause you to have a mega binge at some stage. If you base the majority of you're diet around whole unprocessed foods then fit the "treats" into your cal/macro goals then you don't have the deprivation issue. See the link I posted above for more details :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Deb

This is setting yourself up for failure. Cutting out foods totally that you love is only going to cause you to have a mega binge at some stage. If you base the majority of you're diet around whole unprocessed foods then fit the "treats" into your cal/macro goals then you don't have the deprivation issue. See the link I posted above for more details :)

Agree!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as clean as possible. It works for me.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No need to track calories, just avoid foods on the naughty list.
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i say if you are on a diet, you plan on gaining the weight back at some point because diets only last so long... So therefor to me its a lifestyle change!!:flowerforyou:
  • jbella99
    Options
    I know exactly how this is... In january when I was diagnosed with gall stones I realized that by buying all the processed foods to appease my children I was actually teaching them to eat just as unhealthy as i used to. I was teaching them the same bad habits that got me 85 pounds overweight. Both my children are very healthy and active and right now have no reason to "diet". By the same token though I did not want them to end of at 35 having the same struggle I now have so we did it as a family. The best leasson you can teach your children id the lesson of be healthy. Yes I still buy boxed pizza for my 108lb 5'7" basketball star of a daughter. And I still buy White rice and T-bone steak for my 6'2 170lbs son. But all the meals of healthy pasta, fresh fruit and vegetables, lean protein and low fat low sodium meals they consume 90% of the time makes up for the bag of potato chips and mcdonald's that they have once in awhile.

I buy Kashi crackers for my snack craving, I eat dark cocoa laden chocolate for my sweet tooth and when I binge I eat a huge bowl of grapes or watermelon.

If you want help in this transition I am always here for moral support and ideas
  • jbella99
    Options
    Even eating clean you are dieting - eating certain foods to help you lose weight and good if you also eat the same way to maintain your weight but with higher calories. So dieting can mean eating less calories of whatever diet you choose.

A diet by definition is something short term. Clean eating id for life and is maintainable throughout your life.