Knee problems and no insurance? Exercise?

Options
I am having knee problems. Popping, grinding, and tightening. Even walking around a store is causing it to tighten up. I need to lose 40+lbs. What exercises can I do that will be easy on my knees? I can't swim so that is out. I believe as I drop the weight my knees will improve but how much damage am I doing to get to that point?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Walk. Also start doing bodyweight squats to strengthen the muscles around the knee. A popular myth is that squats cause knee problems, but in all actuality it may alleviate the pain.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Walk. Also start doing bodyweight squats to strengthen the muscles around the knee. A popular myth is that squats cause knee problems, but in all actuality it may alleviate the pain.

Really are you sure about the squats? I mean that is when I hear and feel it the most. It makes all kinds of racket when squatting.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second pp's advice...... walking and squats are great. Just keep good form when you squat.

Are you wearing supportive shoes? Good shoes might help alleviate the pain, too.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Can you at least get in the water? Just walking in the water and holding to the side os the pool while you kick can be very low impact but yet a good workout.

After my mother had knee replacement surgery she was told to start riding a bike so maybe try something like that.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Watch videos on youtube to make sure you are squatting properly. You must push your butt out and not let your knee go over your foot or this will do more damage.
    You could also try just sitting on the edge of a chair or bed and raising your foot up level with the chair (or as high as you can get it). This is a low impact, low-knee way of strengthening quads and recommended as a first line treatment for knee pain by family doctors and physiotherapist. (Recommended to me and boyfriend for mild knee problems)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk at Home videos by Leslie Sansone would probably work for you. These are really low impact, BUT for any side to side movement, a carpeted floor only works if you pick your feet up. Cover a tile floor with an exercise mat to cut down on impact. Here's a clip to see if this will work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

These are nice because you can always go at your own pace. Great for rainy days.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    exercise bike is actually not bad for the knees.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    might want to google some Yoga poses you can do on the ground to help stretch out the muscles connecting the knee joints.
    I thought I had knee issues, but it turned out it was just tight muscles!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    all you got that i know of is biking, water walking, and regular walking. hit the lower body exercises (squats, lunges, leg raises) to try to stablilze the muscles around the knee.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hamstring stretches can do wonders. So can utilizing a brace or an ace bandage for a time. Core strength - abs and such, can take pressure off the knees. So can walking with a cane.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    cross trainer is a good option, with your feet staying on the plates it reduces impact.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. When the cracking and popping started in my knees, my doc said that to help keep the arthirtis at bay, i needed to strengthen my knees. Walking, swimming and bicycling would be the best cardio exercises for my knees because they cause you to bend your knees without pounding them. And I started taking the stairs whenever possible at work. It sucked at first because my knees definitely did not like it. But now my knees are stronger, and it's no problem going up or down stairs. I also take yoga twice a week, and that helps my knees a lot too. My knees still crack and pop but the pain is gone. :)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You have to really watch your form in a mirror on squats. I also used to slip a band around my knees so that as I performed the squat the band kept my knees in the proper position.

I would try cycling or swimming. Really if can find a clinic you should see a doctor. Make sure you are eating well. You might consider glucosamine/chondroitin supplements.

Stretching after a warm up can help, you may have tightness that effects your gait and hurts your knees.

If you feel anything wrong just stop what your'e doing - you could make it worse.

this site has some good rehab exercises - I've been rehabing and ankle injury.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/rehabilitation-exercises/knee-hamstring-thigh-exercises
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Really are you sure about the squats? I mean that is when I hear and feel it the most. It makes all kinds of racket when squatting.

NO! Don't do squats! Walking is a good idea, I'd keep it at a slow pace, but no squats. I had a knee injury, continued to do squats and made my injury worse. I ended up having to have surgery.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I am going to take all of these suggestions and put them to good use. First I'm going to youtube squats to make sure I am performing them correctly. I have a treadmill but I am going to check into getting a stationary bike for cheap. :)

Do you think walking on an incline would help or hurt my progress?
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The stronger you get, the better your knees will do. Often knee pain comes when you have a weak butt or hip issues, from what I've learned through my own crappy knee experiences. Before I was allowed to elliptical or walk I rode the bike a lot. I swam too but I know that's out for you. Keep strength training, it will help alleviate your pain in the long run. You may have some cartilege degeneration too so might consider giving some glucosamine pills a whirl. A lot of people swear by them.

I was allowed to squat unless it caused me more knee pain. In general I did pretty well with them. I was careful with the lunges - not too deep. I did a lot of single leg work to strengthen legs and butt and stayed away from the leg extension machine - I've heard from many that it irritates already tender knees.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! I am going to take all of these suggestions and put them to good use. First I'm going to youtube squats to make sure I am performing them correctly. I have a treadmill but I am going to check into getting a stationary bike for cheap. :)

Do you think walking on an incline would help or hurt my progress?

incline - on a treadmill, which has even ground, I think it will probably help as long as it's not too severe and you give your legs rest too. The plus side is that you'll strengthen your butt more, which will help your knees out. If it irritates them, lay off it for awhile. At my PT's clinic I had to walk backwards on a treadmill too - no incline but it works your butt more than just flat and forward. It feels really strange at first!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

NO! Don't do squats! Walking is a good idea, I'd keep it at a slow pace, but no squats. I had a knee injury, continued to do squats and made my injury worse. I ended up having to have surgery.

I have chronic knee issues (subluxing patellas) and I can't do squats. They really aggravate my knees - yes, I'm using good form - and cause me severe pain, so really be careful. If they cause you pain, then STOP and find something else. Walking is great, biking hurts me as well, but not as bad as some things.

Also, do a google search to see if there's a free clinic near you. If you're near any type of city there might be something around. I know there's one here for people who work but have no insurance. ETA: As you can probably tell from the variety of responses on this thread, you NEED to see someone about your problem ASAP. There are a million and a half causes of knee pain and a million and a half treatments. Doing the wrong thing may just hurt you more. I know how sucky it is to have no insurance (I'm lucky that I live in a university town so can go to the doctor for free because I don't make enough money and have no insurance), but please, please, please don't just "take everything into consideration". Trust me, it's not always a good idea :ohwell:
  • sondyscraps
    sondyscraps Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What a great thread... I posted something on this topic but no one responded to it. I was doing the 30 day shred and started hearing clicking when I would go up my stairs at home. Well I continued to do the exercising thinking it was just because I was putting my body in stress to make it change. Unfortunately I was squatting down taking some photos and when I went to stand up my left knee slide to the left and made about 7 loud and uncomfortable snap sounds and I was stuck and in shock. I finally made my way and straightened my leg all the way and the knee slammed back into place. It was quite painful! Now I don't have insurance and have no idea what kind of exercises to do since I am super swollen. I don't know that I will be going back to the 30DS. I do have a stationary bike but am worried that it would make it worse. I also don't have insurance so seeing someone to ask anything about the topic is out.

My only recommendation is don't keep straining it if you think you know what is causing it!!! I hope yours doesn't progress into something terrible!